Are You Ready For Some Jeopardy!?

Narps

Ding Dong the WITCH is DEAD!!

I actually felt bad for her when my wife started celebrating when she lost.

you baby

misogynist...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-internet-is-freaking-out-over-this-jeopardy-contestants-voice_565469e1e4b0258edb32d5d1

Last night, the Internet decided to focus on the sound of a Jeopardy contestant's voice, instead of her intelligence.

Laura Ashby, a Vanderbilt and Yale educated law associate, had social media in an uproar last night over her "upspeak."

Upspeak/uptalk, not to be confused with vocal fry, is when the speaker inflects up at the end of his/her sentences. It's not a particularly new way of speech, nor is it uncommon.

Someone even went as far as to make a Twitter account dedicated to just Ashby's voice.

What's the deal, interwebz? Haven't we gone over this before? It's not cool to police people (read: women) on how they talk.

The intonation is widely seen as purely feminine -- when women uptalk, they're perceived as unsure or unconfident. But uptalk actually happens organically on "Jeopardy" for both men and women, quite frequently.

After analyzing hours of episodes of "Jeopardy," the Smithsonian found that uptalk was used by female contestants in uncertain situations "a whopping 76% of the time" while male contestants "uptalk frequency more than doubled if they were correcting a woman’s answer."

This lends directly into a Slate piece from 2014, "Young Women Shouldn’t Have to Talk Like Men to Be Taken Seriously," where Marybeth Seitz-Brown wrote:

"Women shouldn’t have to wear pantsuits to be treated like human beings, and we shouldn’t have to contort our voices to sound masculine (but not too masculine!) to make people hear us."

Seitz-Brown had given an interview on NPR, and received several comments suggesting that if she changed her voice, she'd be taken more seriously. "The notion that my uptalk means I was unsure of what I said is not only wrong, it’s misogynistic. It implies that if women just spoke like men, our ideas would be valuable," she wrote.

The use of upspeak on "Jeopardy" makes perfect sense, considering contestants are answering questions to win money, something that's sure to make anyone uneasy.

As the study says, "uptalk might be a way for speakers finishing a thought to check in with their listeners, a tool to help people connect."

So, lay off Ashby and let her live!

:LOL:

That's not it at all, she was whiny, that's what annoyed me.

Come on...a feminist article on HuffPo knows you better than you know yourself.

;)

;)

I think the article was hilarious... upspeak and what she does are 2 different things. The author based the whole article on shaky foundation just to reprimand everyone for being so critical. She's whiny, plain and simple.
  • Like 1

;)

I think the article was hilarious... upspeak and what she does are 2 different things. The author based the whole article on shaky foundation just to reprimand everyone for being so critical. She's whiny, plain and simple.

It's feminists in the HuffPo...of course it's unintentional comedy gold.

Was going through the channels last night, and happened upon Jeopardy (new show? repeat?) just as Alex Trebek said "Johnny Blaze...Johnny Blaze."

I think there was a Marvel movie category???

Who will find this and post it as a gif first? :LOL:

giphy.gif

you baby

misogynist...

http://www.huffingto...4b0258edb32d5d1

Last night, the Internet decided to focus on the sound of a Jeopardy contestant's voice, instead of her intelligence.

Laura Ashby, a Vanderbilt and Yale educated law associate, had social media in an uproar last night over her "upspeak."

Upspeak/uptalk, not to be confused with vocal fry, is when the speaker inflects up at the end of his/her sentences. It's not a particularly new way of speech, nor is it uncommon.

Someone even went as far as to make a Twitter account dedicated to just Ashby's voice.

What's the deal, interwebz? Haven't we gone over this before? It's not cool to police people (read: women) on how they talk.

The intonation is widely seen as purely feminine -- when women uptalk, they're perceived as unsure or unconfident. But uptalk actually happens organically on "Jeopardy" for both men and women, quite frequently.

After analyzing hours of episodes of "Jeopardy," the Smithsonian found that uptalk was used by female contestants in uncertain situations "a whopping 76% of the time" while male contestants "uptalk frequency more than doubled if they were correcting a woman’s answer."

This lends directly into a Slate piece from 2014, "Young Women Shouldn’t Have to Talk Like Men to Be Taken Seriously," where Marybeth Seitz-Brown wrote:

"Women shouldn’t have to wear pantsuits to be treated like human beings, and we shouldn’t have to contort our voices to sound masculine (but not too masculine!) to make people hear us."

Seitz-Brown had given an interview on NPR, and received several comments suggesting that if she changed her voice, she'd be taken more seriously. "The notion that my uptalk means I was unsure of what I said is not only wrong, it’s misogynistic. It implies that if women just spoke like men, our ideas would be valuable," she wrote.

The use of upspeak on "Jeopardy" makes perfect sense, considering contestants are answering questions to win money, something that's sure to make anyone uneasy.

As the study says, "uptalk might be a way for speakers finishing a thought to check in with their listeners, a tool to help people connect."

Her accent isn't even an up-lilt. it's just an annoying dragging out of the last syllable.

you baby

misogynist...

http://www.huffingto...4b0258edb32d5d1

Her accent isn't even an up-lilt. it's just an annoying dragging out of the last syllable.

I never heard of this until now. What a weird way of talking. The funny thing is people defending her like its normal. I hope she doesn't get into any practice that involves the courtroom. I would send her client to prison for life just based on her voice.

My mother watches this show everyday. I find it so boring and contrived. I cannot stand Alex Trebek. He is such a pretentious prick. I hate the forced way he talks and the emphasis he places on certain words. It drives me nuts. He's like a Canadian pretending to be British. He is dull as hell. Pat Sajak has a much better personality and is a lot more likable. Edited by Boots