Help! What albums/songs to use to intro a newbie to Rush?

coventry

Who cares about hipsters? This thread is annoying!
  • Like 1

No, No, No hipsters are a facinating creature in todays urban world. Anyway, apparently alot of people do because this forum keeps getting visited. You yourself have returned several times. Besides, their musical interests do bleed into us Rush fans in spots (I have noticed quite a few Radiohead Fans on here). Maybe if you got a taste of their music you would be more interested in them (oh who am I kidding, I am just trying to get more people into Animal Collective

Edited by RushBoingo

I'm not trying to convert him; if anything, I want him to leave the listening session with an non-patronizing appreciation of the band. Whether he likes them or not or becomes a fan is irrelevant.

No, No, No hipsters are a facinating creature in todays urban world. Anyway, apparently alot of people do because this forum keeps getting visited. You yourself have returned several times. Besides, their musical interests do bleed into us Rush fans in spots (I have noticed quite a few Radiohead Fans on here). Maybe if you got a taste of their music you would be more interested in them (oh who am I kidding, I am just trying to get more people into Animal Collective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAyADMSppaw

I was seduced like so many others by their 2008 Merriweather Post Pavilion lp and the hypnotic single "My Girls".

i love how Tears for Fears covered "My Girls" late last year.

well if it helps christgau's the guy who did letter grades for all his reviews

His A Farewell to Kings review is a classic:

A Farewell to Kings [Mercury, 1977]

The most obnoxious band currently making a killing on the zonked teen circuit. Not to be confused with Mahogany Rush, who at least spare us the reactionary gentility. More like Angel. Or Kansas. Or a power-trio Uriah Heep, with vocals revved up an octave. Or two. D

I love this reference to Rush: "medieval pomp rock". :P

Draw the Line [Columbia, 1977]

The problem with the multiple-riff hi-test jobs that made Rocks rock was that when time came to follow up, the band was out of gas. The best of the three good ones here is a mold-breaking Joe-Perry-alone boogie that probably reflects the usual "internal tensions." Perry goes nowhere near the mold-breaking "Kings and Queens," synthesized medieval pomp-rock (cf. Styx, Rush) that proves beyond doubt that they won't bite "The Hand That Feeds." We knew it all along, guys. B-

If there's one thing that being a Rush fan in the 1980-1985 time frame taught me, it's Ignore All the Critics.

But critics like 1985's Power Windows. Otherwise, that statement can be said about all time until the 2000s

Power Windows was the album that made me stop listening to Rush, with HYF solidifying that decision. I didn't like any songs from PoW until after hearing a few live this last tour.

So apparently I think the opposite of the critics :P ;)

Seems your job may not be to hard after all. Seems a "hipster" will hop onto any train that takes him to something new. Something cool he can brag about to his hipster friends.

I have the same issue with my neighbor. Except he is 60 years old and his favorite band is the Grateful Dead. Try and even get him to listen to Rush would be like getting me to stop drinking.

He has no appreciation for Rush and will continually ask if we have any Rolling Stones DVD's in the house when we play Rush DVD's. Irritating at the least.

A few days ago, I asked him who was singing the vocals on "truckin". (we were in a bar) Somehow he must have assumed I was interested in GD and sent me a video of a Bob Weir interview and then came over to make sure I watched it. I had not. So guess what, I had to sit through for 38 minutes.

I could not get the guy to look at my garden, but he had me watch almost 3/4 an hour of something I could care less about.

I guess my point is why? Try, but if he doesn't like it, well thats how it goes.

I am not even sure why we are friends. Especially if he has been drinking which is the only time I see him.

Edited by John V
  • Like 1

Create a playlist of the following songs—all live.

1. Tom Sawyer

2. The Spirit of Radio

3. Subdivisions

4. Limelight

5. Closer to the Heart

6. 2112 (entire)

Then introduce him to ONLY the albums from which these songs were obtained, minus Xanadu and The Camera Eye.

Next, another playlist.

7. Xanadu

8. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

9. By-Tor and the Snowdog

10. The Camera Eye

Then give him a while to digest. That's a LOT to take in. The first time you hear him say anything about Rush being a "dinosaur band," though, give him another playlist:

11. Far Cry

12. One Little Victory

13. Caravan

14. Earthshine

15. Workin' Them Angels

16. Headlong Flight

Again, allot some time for him to recover. If he still shows interest in the band afterwards, play:

17. The Big Money

18. Red Sector A

19. Time Stand Still

See if he's still interested. If he is, play:

19. Marathon

20. Grand Designs

21. Force Ten

22. Lock and Key

23. Mystic Rhythms

Mire recovery, then present him with:

24. Show Don't Tell

25. Stick It Out

26. Driven

27. Dreamline

28. The Pass

29. Animate

Then, finally:

30. La Villa Strangiato

31. Malignant Narcissism

32. YYZ

And then set him off out on his own!

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

I had a situation like this recently and this is what I told my friend to listen to (to start)

Working man

Fly by night

Spirit of radio

Xanadu

Freewill

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Distant early warning

Big money

Force ten

Far cry

Caravan

He really liked them so I gave him a CD with some other songs that he has also enjoyed. He's getting into Rush, which has been awesome to see as his friend!!! :drool: :rush:

• Like 1