Help! What albums/songs to use to intro a newbie to Rush?

coventry

At least this thread helped me to learn what a hipster is. I've heard the word used before and have seen it used on the internet a ton but I don't know anyone like that and don't recall ever seeing one out in public. Are they like bigfoot and only come out when nobody is watching? :P

Here in San Francisco you can't walk down the street without running into crowds of them :|

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/hip2.jpg

Oh God, of all writers, Steinbeck is a hipster thing now?

no

My advice would change for whatever music he likes. For my friends that like softer music, I stick with PoW-RTB. For friends who like classic rock, I stick with hits from 1974-1981. For friends of heavy metal, I stick with a selection from VT/CA. For fans of prog, I'd stick with the epics and PeW/MP classics.

show metalheads the same stuff as the classic rock dudes since they practically overlap. 70s rush is closer to metal than snakes and arrows or some shit. that stuff sounds more like, I dunno, foo fighters or something

• Like 2

rushboingo you're into oingo boingo and owl city and trying to act like some hipster authority lol

sonic youth? pavement? dinosaur jr? if you talk the talk you gotta walk the walk

Well I never said I was a hipster. I just have alot of experience with them. I go to music school for crying out loud, you can't turn a corner without seeing one.

Anyway I know of Sonic Youth (havent listened to a ton of them yet, but am going to when I finish up with some other bands work. There is certainly a ton of promise from them from what I have heard so far and love the fact that they have such weird instrument tunings in their songs. Just wish they had some kind of keyboard in the band, that generally is an entry requirement for me.) and of Dinosaur Jr (not a huge fan from what I have heard). Never heard of Pavement before, but will check them out. Anyway I am pretty sure Oingo Boingo fell in with the hipster crowd way back when in the early days, and I enjoy them for their energy and dark humor. Meanwhile Owl City I listen to because the music makes me happy. I also listen to they might be giants who fell in with the hipsters for their first few albums, before their 90s style caught on in general.

And then of course I stress again, I am big into Animal Collective, and all the side projects they have been attached to, and that is auto-access to hipster acceptance. I once read a joke somewhere asking for two proof of purchase lables from animal collectve albums to recieve your hipster status.

I will also stress again, I am not a hipster, I have just observed them for a long time. My interests in music do not know a single genre, but I find enjoyment in some of the hipster music around at the moment (like I said, if there is something electronic in the band, then I am happy). And I also find some creature comforts similar to them (like collecting Vinyl for example). Anyway, I would not be making all these long detailed paragraphs without some study first hand.

rushboingo you're into oingo boingo and owl city and trying to act like some hipster authority lol

sonic youth? pavement? dinosaur jr? if you talk the talk you gotta walk the walk

Well I never said I was a hipster. I just have alot of experience with them. I go to music school for crying out loud, you can't turn a corner without seeing one.

Anyway I know of Sonic Youth (havent listened to a ton of them yet, but am going to when I finish up with some other bands work. There is certainly a ton of promise from them from what I have heard so far and love the fact that they have such weird instrument tunings in their songs. Just wish they had some kind of keyboard in the band, that generally is an entry requirement for me.) and of Dinosaur Jr (not a huge fan from what I have heard). Never heard of Pavement before, but will check them out. Anyway I am pretty sure Oingo Boingo fell in with the hipster crowd way back when in the early days, and I enjoy them for their energy and dark humor. Meanwhile Owl City I listen to because the music makes me happy. I also listen to they might be giants who fell in with the hipsters for their first few albums, before their 90s style caught on in general.

And then of course I stress again, I am big into Animal Collective, and all the side projects they have been attached to, and that is auto-access to hipster acceptance. I once read a joke somewhere asking for two proof of purchase lables from animal collectve albums to recieve your hipster status.

I will also stress again, I am not a hipster, I have just observed them for a long time. My interests in music do not know a single genre, but I find enjoyment in some of the hipster music around at the moment (like I said, if there is something electronic in the band, then I am happy). And I also find some creature comforts similar to them (like collecting Vinyl for example). Anyway, I would not be making all these long detailed paragraphs without some study first hand.

Oh also, in addition I am working through Dan Deacon's catelogue of music right now, hows that for Hipster stuff.

lorraine, if you ever read the village voice when you were a teen, you've probably read some of robert christgau's reviews. I think that dude definitely qualifies as a "hipster."

Bathory, I used to read it all the time in the seventies. I don't think I ever committed to memory the names of those who contributed articles.

Thanks for the definition of "hipster."

well if it helps christgau's the guy who did letter grades for all his reviews

His A Farewell to Kings review is a classic:

A Farewell to Kings [Mercury, 1977]

The most obnoxious band currently making a killing on the zonked teen circuit. Not to be confused with Mahogany Rush, who at least spare us the reactionary gentility. More like Angel. Or Kansas. Or a power-trio Uriah Heep, with vocals revved up an octave. Or two. D

check out his review for in the court of the crimson king

Yeah Christagau was a hipster back then, but he has fallen into the mainstream. He is not a very good writer in my opinion, as he seems to be very biased in his own tastes. The review that made me say "Yup, hes not worth the time of day" was his review of Daft Punks critically acclaimed Random Access Memories. He wrote this one line about it "The Black-eyed Peas these two are not" and gave it one of those flip floppy ratings saying that it can be appreciated in the genre or something like that. A. He missed the point of the album, B. He thinks the Black Eyed Peas are good, or at least something other artists are trying to be.

This has been an enjoyable thread. All things considered though, I agree with the people that said Permanent Waves for a hipster, if the hipster has good taste (like a Radiohead hipster, not a Belle and Sebastian hipster; the latter might prefer Power Windows).

This has been an enjoyable thread. All things considered though, I agree with the people that said Permanent Waves for a hipster, if the hipster has good taste (like a Radiohead hipster, not a Belle and Sebastian hipster; the latter might prefer Power Windows).

It beats the heck out of how you wipe your behind..... :D No offense brother LedRush Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I have to disagree there, I don't really think Belle and Sebastian goes well with Rush at all (certainly not Power Windows anyway, more along the lines of "The Best of Rush's soft stuff") and this movie clip proves my point

Power Windows is more for the Dan Deacon and other electronic hipster acts.

I have to disagree there, I don't really think Belle and Sebastian goes well with Rush at all (certainly not Power Windows anyway, more along the lines of "The Best of Rush's soft stuff") and this movie clip proves my point

I really wasn't claiming that Rush and B&S go together; rather, that there are hipsters lamer than other hipsters (B&S hipsters being really lame). I admit I hardly know what B&S sound like (I know the people who like them better then them). Heck, I hardly know what Power Windows sounds like ;) .

Edited by Rutlefan

lorraine, if you ever read the village voice when you were a teen, you've probably read some of robert christgau's reviews. I think that dude definitely qualifies as a "hipster."

Bathory, I used to read it all the time in the seventies. I don't think I ever committed to memory the names of those who contributed articles.

Thanks for the definition of "hipster."

The most obnoxious band currently making a killing on the zonked teen circuit. Not to be confused with Mahogany Rush, who at least spare us the reactionary gentility. More like Angel. Or Kansas. Or a power-trio Uriah Heep, with vocals revved up an octave. Or two. D

I love this reference to Rush: "medieval pomp rock". :P

Draw the Line [Columbia, 1977]

The problem with the multiple-riff hi-test jobs that made Rocks rock was that when time came to follow up, the band was out of gas. The best of the three good ones here is a mold-breaking Joe-Perry-alone boogie that probably reflects the usual "internal tensions." Perry goes nowhere near the mold-breaking "Kings and Queens," synthesized medieval pomp-rock (cf. Styx, Rush) that proves beyond doubt that they won't bite "The Hand That Feeds." We knew it all along, guys. B-

Edited by Rutlefan

I really wasn't claiming that Rush and B&S go together; rather, that there are hipsters lamer than other hipsters (B&S hipsters being really lame). I admit I hardly know what B&S sound like (I know the people who like them better then them). Heck, I hardly know what Power Windows sounds like ;) .

I checked out B&S on YouTube and they are not so bad as I suspected. Too Blind Melon-ish for my tastes, but not completely awful. Maybe I should have used Death Cab for Cutie as a lighting rod for really insufferable hipsters (or at least the kind that would prefer synth Rush to rock Rush).

"I have to disagree there, I don't really think Belle and Sebastian goes well with Rush at all (certainly not Power Windows anyway, more along the lines of "The Best of Rush's soft stuff") and this movie clip proves my point"

That's hilarious, but I suspect B&S has plenty of stuff that isn't so languid. There's a counterpoint though; the movie hipster who enjoys B&S is the sensitive emo type; I would guess those types would find synth Rush less objectionable than other Rush, which kind of suppots my point (though I'm sure it would still be too bombastic for them :) ).

I checked out B&S on YouTube and they are not so bad as I suspected. Too Blind Melon-ish for my tastes, but not completely awful. Maybe I should have used Death Cab for Cutie as a lighting rod for really insufferable hipsters (or at least the kind that would prefer synth Rush to rock Rush).

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE ARE AMAZING!

• Like 1

"I have to disagree there, I don't really think Belle and Sebastian goes well with Rush at all (certainly not Power Windows anyway, more along the lines of "The Best of Rush's soft stuff") and this movie clip proves my point"

That's hilarious, but I suspect B&S has plenty of stuff that isn't so languid. There's a counterpoint though; the movie hipster who enjoys B&S is the sensitive emo type; I would guess those types would find synth Rush less objectionable than other Rush, which kind of suppots my point (though I'm sure it would still be too bombastic for them :) ).

CLASSIC EMO IS AMAZING!

CLASSIC EMO IS AMAZING!

I'll take your word for that :).

freewill, spirit of radio, working man, red barchetta, la villa, yyz, bastille day, anthem, fly by night, beneath between behind, limelight. easy to swallow, catchy tunes.

rush is hard to get into for those "hipster" types though. I've met people who have acted like they'd lose their "cred" if they liked something that wasn't robert christgau-approved.

Robert Christgau is still relevant? How the hell is THAT possible? :huh: :wtf: :LOL:

Well what are you waiting for, get better aqainted with Power Windows and understand it synthesized power. Of all their synth Albums, Power Windows is the least appropriate for a B&S fan. Hold Your Fire, and Presto, sure I could see them enjoying that.

No the insuferable Hipsters are the ones who like the white guys with accoustic guitars groups. They are not as popular as they once were, but there are still a few (none big though) and hipsters who like that really think it is the deepest most soulful music you can find, when all of it is really bland. Mostly chords, with one odd one per song.

"No the insuferable Hipsters are the ones who like the white guys with accoustic guitars groups."

I don't know them. John Mayer, or that Australian guy with the busy feet (sings "Satellite")?

The problem with the multiple-riff hi-test jobs that made Rocks rock was that when time came to follow up, the band was out of gas. The best of the three good ones here is a mold-breaking Joe-Perry-alone boogie that probably reflects the usual "internal tensions." Perry goes nowhere near the mold-breaking "Kings and Queens," synthesized medieval pomp-rock (cf. Styx, Rush) that proves beyond doubt that they won't bite "The Hand That Feeds." We knew it all along, guys. B-

If there's one thing that being a Rush fan in the 1980-1985 time frame taught me, it's Ignore All the Critics.

• Like 1

"No the insuferable Hipsters are the ones who like the white guys with accoustic guitars groups."

I don't know them. John Mayer, or that Australian guy with the busy feet (sings "Satellite")?

John Mayer plays electric for the most part. 'Satellite" is sung either by Guster (out of Massachusetts) or DMB (out of Virgina, though Dave was born in South Africa). Though I guess you could be referring to Kevin Gates or Kid Cudi - but they're both American rappers.

If there's one thing that being a Rush fan in the 1980-1985 time frame taught me, it's Ignore All the Critics.

But critics like 1985's Power Windows. Otherwise, that statement can be said about all time until the 2000s

Do we want hipsters as Rush fans? Seems contrary to me. Start him off with Tai Shan then Dog Years.

Hey, any fan is a good fan. Also, almost no one is a hipster forever. People either fall out via lack of interest in the current trends, no longer a need for acceptance, or fed up with having to follow trends. When that happens (not to say it happens to quite everyone) we want those people to look to Rush as their freedom music.