Rolling Stone Readers' Poll: 10 Greatest Rush Albums

robertrobyn

I think I agree with that list, except I would swap out the first album for Fly By Night or Snakes and Arrows, both of which are much better (if you disagree with Snakes and Arrows, then put in Vapor Trails). I'm VERY pleased to see Clockwork, Counterparts, Grace, and Power Windows in there rather than the usual "anything after Signals sucks and we hate it if Terry Brown didn't produce it"

It would've been really nice though if they took the time to actually write out some well thought opinions on each album rather than recycle old reviews. Can't say I'd ever give RS much credibility, anyway.

I don't understand. It's from best to worse or from worse to best?

Also, is RS trying to make up for 35 years of...

If they ranked it, they only did so loosely because they put Moving Pictures and Hemispheres at the end (10 to 1), and I mean loosely because they put Power Windows higher than Signals.

Just about the strangest list of top Rush albums I've ever seen. Is it in order from 10 to 1? No Permanent Waves?!

WHOA. Didn't even think about that. Drop the first album for Permanent Waves.

HTF did I forget that one...

No Permanent Waves? Rush better than Fly By Night? Grace Under Pressure AND Power Windows? Very weird list. But it shouldn't surprise because this was voted on by hardcore fans who, almost by definition, want to vote for the things that aren't traditionally popular.

The omission of Permanent Waves is nothing short of fatal to the seriousness of this list.

Agreed. Even a top 5 without Permanent Waves makes the list worthless in my humble opinion.... :)
  • Like 4

The omission of Permanent Waves is nothing short of fatal to the seriousness of this list.

Agreed. Even a top 5 without Permanent Waves makes the list worthless in my humble opinion.... :)

In the spirit of Name That Tune, even a top 2 without PeW doesn't cut it.

• Like 2

Any Rush fan that was around in the 70's, 80's, or even the 90's shouldn't even give RS the time of day!

didn't click. my guess, since it's rolling stone: 1. moving pictures 2. 2112 3. highway 61 revisited

Whether or not they strictly ranked them is up for debate but their top 3 were

1. Hemispheres

2. Moving Pictures

3. Power Windows

so dylan was at 4, born to run was at 5, london calling was 6, joshua tree was 7, my aim is true was 8, nevermind is 9 and 10 is clockwork angels?

Don't forget some Velvet Underground and perhaps some Joy Division ..

• Like 1

Rolling Stone's Top 10 Rush Albums-

1) Are You Experienced?

2) 2112

3) Armed Forces

4) Nevermind

5) Moving Pictures

6) White Light/White Heat

7) The Unforgettable Fire

8) Sandinista!

9) Fly by Night

10) The White Album

• Like 1

I don't believe the poll. No Permanent Waves…..Rush's very best album.

Incredible…..really? I mean really?

Blech.

• Like 2

I can't believe a lot of this list, I can believe the top three though.

I've listenes to 2112 numerous times...

So, um at what part does it reference Greek Gods?

'2112'

With Fly by Night and Caress of Steel selling less than expected, Mercury Records pushed Rush to make their fourth LP their most commercial. The resulting album may not have been pop in the sense that it opens with a 20-minute suite referencing obscure Greek gods and telling a story resembling that of a dystopian Ayn Rand novel,

Also I remember that jaggoff's review of Clockwork Angels. 'Mount Nerd'? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I don't believe the poll. No Permanent Waves…..Rush's very best album.

Incredible…..really? I mean really?

Blech.

A list of the best RUSH albums, or all-time rock albums that doesn't include Permanent Waves is a joke. One of the few albums where every song in my opion is perfect. Theres a central theme amoungst all the songs, the production is high quality, the energy is there in every song, and the musical perfection is clearly visable in every song. PM is my favorite album. And its such a joy to listen to.

• Like 1