I love geddy's voice right now.

Pars123

I feel like some people cut down his voice too much. I think his voice has a perfect blend of that mid 80s sound and a new sound. Yes, he obviously struggles with certain notes, but he still reaches them! Some of his mid range notes, like for example "What I'm hoping to find" from the Analog Kid (live this tour) on almost all the videos I've seen sounds like 80s geddy. He doesn't always sound like that, but when he does it's amazing. I love his current voice/vocal range.
  • Like 7

I also like his voice but sometimes he has a hiccup or two. On the Clockwork Angels Tour CD he sounded great except during Spirit of Radio, but he was probably running out of steam by that point (last song before the break).

His voice is certainly holding up better than any of his other counterparts (see Rik Emmett, Paul Stanley, Jon Anderson)

His voice sounded beautiful on the CA studio album.

He's definitely still got it...Perfect for the 80's-Now material. I don't think the CA Tour CD/DVD does him justice. There were certainly some better performances on the second leg of the tour (he sounded amazing in Nashville)...Very few rock singers his age, even younger, sound as good as he does...

I agree that he still sounds good live but I also agree that they tailor the set lists to accommodate his limitations. That's fine with me though because I love the 80s material and the newer stuff. I still love hearing Freewill and TSoR but he definitely struggles with some of those higher notes. I also have yet to hear a really good quality recording of their live material. Some of the stuff that sounds bad I'm sometimes thinking, there is no way in hell he actually sounded like that.

If we're all honest here he's hit or miss. but hey that's fine. The CA DVD/CD is miles better then Time Machine. But i'm gonna say something that may be unpopular. The one song i wish they'd drop forever....but they won't......is 2112. It's just painful to me at this point. Other then that. it was basically all 80's rush. So he was for the most part just fine.

Mick

It's depressing and sad to hear his voice decline but I'm just glad they're still making music and we get to see them on tour.
  • Like 2

Hahaha! This thread should be fun.

His voice IS different, that's for sure. But for someone who couldn't sing her way out of anything, to me he sounds just fine. As I always say, he may not sing the way he used to, but he does have a voice, and he can still sing.

• Like 4

i think he SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

i can't BELIEVE that anyone would pay HARD EARNED AMERICAN MONEY to go see this SHIT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw them THREE TIMES on the CA tour and they SUCKED EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kid. He sounds great. I'm just glad it seems like they tailor the sets for his voice. It sounds better overall, and we all get to nerd hardcore on the 80s. I'd put money on a heavy Presto/HYF (HYF especially) influence on the upcoming tour. I'd kill to hear Prime Mover like seven times a night.

I do have a question about his voice. Maybe someone here can tell me the answer.

Why is it so low? I understand that he can't hit the notes Rush started out with. He should've just been himself back then instead of trying to sound like other rocksters of the time. But between Rio and CA, his voice has changed. A lot. This doesn't seem to happen to other lead singers, and I am wondering if anyone here knows why it has happened to Geddy. Even Geddy's voice is different between the studio version of The Garden and the live version.

I'm just wondering. It is not that I think he can't sing. He has a voice and the talent, but his voice has dropped really low.

I do have a question about his voice. Maybe someone here can tell me the answer.

Why is it so low? I understand that he can't hit the notes Rush started out with. He should've just been himself back then instead of trying to sound like other rocksters of the time. But between Rio and CA, his voice has changed. A lot. This doesn't seem to happen to other lead singers, and I am wondering if anyone here knows why it has happened to Geddy. Even Geddy's voice is different between the studio version of The Garden and the live version.

I'm just wondering. It is not that I think he can't sing. He has a voice and the talent, but his voice has dropped really low.

It seems only natural that his voice would deepen. He is also using his chest voice far more then his head voice nowadays - it's less taxing.

As far as him being himself back in the day rather then trying to sound like other rocksters - sure, he was definitely influenced by Robert Plant in the beginning.

But no one brought it like Geddy did in the 70's.

There is a great segment in the making of 2112 DVD where Terry Brown plays an isolated vocal from Something for Nothing and still looks astonished, saying "it just came out like that, naturally. It was very exciting"

I bet it was :)

• Like 1

It seems only natural that his voice would deepen. He is also using his chest voice far more then his head voice nowadays - it's less taxing.

As far as him being himself back in the day rather then trying to sound like other rocksters - sure, he was definitely influenced by Robert Plant in the beginning.

But no one brought it like Geddy did in the 70's.

There is a great segment in the making of 2112 DVD where Terry Brown plays an isolated vocal from Something for Nothing and still looks astonished, saying "it just came out like that, naturally. It was very exciting"

I bet it was :)

It was....... :)

As far as I can tell something must have happened between R30 and Snakes and Arrows. To get a good example, listen to Red Barchetta from R30 and then listen to the Snakes and Arrows "Oh Atlanta" version. Radically different.

• Like 1

No comment this time..... :)

Dude, that IS a comment! :rfl: ;)

No sh*t. Very perceptive of you.... :)

that's just what happens. halford and dickinson seem immune but it'll hit them too

and the high-pitched voice is one of the things that made rush stick out! who wants to hear rush with paul rodgers or paul stanley or some generic 70s rock voice singing?

Geddy Lee - perhaps the most debated and maligned vocalist in history lol

As with every incarnation and change in his voice, there are those who can accept it and those who can't.

I am far more impressed with how well he can still sing then I am bothered by his limitations. He brought down the house at every show I saw on the last tour.

Few singers have adapted with as much grace and skill as he has over the years.

As with every incarnation and change in his voice, there are those who can accept it and those who can't.

I am far more impressed with how well he can still sing then I am bothered by his limitations. He brought down the house at every show I saw on the last tour.

I just wanted to know why his voice dropped - significantly - especially on the last tour.

Far be it from me to criticize :geddy: :wub: !

High or low, Geddy is still The Man!

Even though it has really changed over the years, I love the way he has adjusted his voice and how it actually gives the old songs new life.

Definitely!

I thought his rendition of Circumstances on the S&A tour was excellent. I have no problem with them changing up old material like that to suit his current range - they should do it more.

• Like 1

I think if they would like to play songs from the '70s, they should at least play them 2 semi-tones down like they do for 2112 (and on the S&A Tour, Circumstances) just to make it easier on Ged's vocals. I wouldn't mind if they begin doing this the next time they decide to bring back songs like In The End or Fly By Night in the set. I've seen 2112 live all three times I saw them, so I wouldn't be that sad if they drop it on the next tour.
  • Like 1

Only a few come to mind.

Bruce Dickinson. That guy's voice has gotten BETTER with age. Listen to Live After Death then listen to Flight 666 and notice how 25 years later he sounds BETTER.

Gil Moore. I listened to that live album of Triumph from their reunion show back in '08 and he sounds wonderful. Can't say the same for Rik Emmett, though...

Paul Rodgers. That guy is a beast.

Tommy Shaw and Dennis DeYoung both still have their range, and Tommy especially sounds wonderful.

I just wanted to know why his voice dropped - significantly - especially on the last tour.

Far be it from me to criticize :geddy: :wub: !

High or low, Geddy is still The Man!

I think the simple answer would be that gravity and use take their toll. Everyones voice lowers as they get older. Some people seem to be more immune to it. I think if Geddy had started out in a normal range and kept that up over the years he probably would have a better voice today. All of the straining in the higher registers does abuse the vocal cords.

Edited by EagleMoon