Autism

GhostGirl

Wow, feel a little speachless. Didn't know a whole lot about what autism was about so hope no one minds me posting.. had noticed the links in GG's sig, but didn't click until today. Maybe I avoided clicking.. maybe cause i just didn't want to know how heartbreaking it can be? But my friend has similar circumstance (what brought me to this topic in the first place), so I clicked, and watched and read. Thanks for giving me some education. I have to say, you are all heros- my heart goes out to you.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but a recently conducted California study showed no link between autism and vaccines with thimerasol. This study, in which all people included in the sample did not recieve thimerasol vaccines, the numbers of childern stricken with autism actually rose.

This does not actually let thimerasol off the hook, though. At least it shows that it is not the only factor.

Source

Edited by LoneStar Boogie

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Jan 9 2008, 08:42 PM)
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but a recently conducted California study showed no link between autism and vaccines with thimerasol. This study, in which all people included in the sample did not recieve thimerasol vaccines, the numbers of childern stricken with autism actually rose.

This does not actually let thimerasol off the hook, though. At least it shows that it is not the only factor.

Source

Agreed. It isn't the only factor, and for a while we mistakenly put too much emphasis on thimerosal alone. Some parents are still doing that, and I think they need to widen the net. There's something going on, environmentally speaking, but it's not just from vaccines. no.gif

In other news, Stephen slept well, and got up easily and happily this morning. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but for now I'm content.

(My arm and leg muscles are fatigued today from having to struggle with him so much yesterday. I think I need to get this kid on the wrestling team. laugh.gif)

And thanks for the support, joanneeee, nettiesaur, timitney, and Lerxster.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 12 2008, 01:11 PM)
Thanks for the links, Ghost Girl

Hope your having a good weekend smile.gif

Stephen's at my mom's (he spent the night with her last night) - so I got to shut off that part of my brain that stays on alert most nights, and I slept like a rock. We'll go pick him up and have dinner with my mom in a couple of hours, so right now I'm sitting in the recliner and watching the BBC miniseries based on Jane Eyre.

smile.gif *contented sigh*

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 10 2008, 03:55 PM)
New article on CNN.com

Genetic glitch raises autism risk

This is an intresting link yet another chromosome link to Autism disorders and joint issues. Thanks GG! heart.gif Reading these help more than you'll ever know! rose.gif

http://rarediseases.about.com/od/chrosomed...rs/a/082104.htm

Yeah, I read a bit of your blog before Ghostgirl as I too have a 6 year old daughter with PDD. Very high functioning, thankfully, but yeah unless you have a child with it yourself nobody knows how tough it can really be.

My favorite line from her old Principal was something like "Well if someone was to just walk by the classroom and look in nobody would think anything was wrong with her!" Wow, how uplifting, you @#!*

You're in a boat with more holes than mine though, and I wish your family the best.

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 12 2008, 04:51 PM)
Jane Eyre.

The Camera Eyre?

Hi, I'm Del Duio and I make jokes to ease the tension!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 12 2008, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 12 2008, 01:11 PM)
Thanks for the links, Ghost Girl

Hope your having a good weekend smile.gif

Stephen's at my mom's (he spent the night with her last night) - so I got to shut off that part of my brain that stays on alert most nights, and I slept like a rock. We'll go pick him up and have dinner with my mom in a couple of hours, so right now I'm sitting in the recliner and watching the BBC miniseries based on Jane Eyre.

smile.gif *contented sigh*

Recliner and a shut off part of brain b_sigh.gif

You deserve a break hug2.gif

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/joanneeee/Justin/JustinandShadow.jpg

Here's one of Justin with our Shadow, loved that dog wub.gif

Did I mention that Justin's first concert ever was 2.gif

The Test For Echo tour, at the Hartford Civic Center, mayor's seats, on Ged's side.......used to have connections smile.gif

I think he was a little overwhelmed but the earplugs helped, he rocked!

Hope the day is good to you, being Monday and all sad.gif

It's Monday, for sure.

Stephen and I got up at 3:30. We just wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to look our best for school and work.

eh.gif

Ah, well. Such is life. At least he was in a good mood. He seems to be happier when he sleeps less. confused13.gif Wish that applied to his mommy as well.

smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 14 2008, 03:49 PM)
It's Monday, for sure.

Stephen and I got up at 3:30.  We just wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to look our best for school and work.

eh.gif

Ah, well.  Such is life.  At least he was in a good mood.  He seems to be happier when he sleeps less.  confused13.gif  Wish that applied to his mommy as well.

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Early to bed, early to rise and all that unsure.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 14 2008, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 14 2008, 03:49 PM)
It's Monday, for sure.

Stephen and I got up at 3:30.  We just wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to look our best for school and work.

eh.gif

Ah, well.  Such is life.  At least he was in a good mood.  He seems to be happier when he sleeps less.  confused13.gif  Wish that applied to his mommy as well.

smile.gif

laugh.gif

Early to bed, early to rise and all that unsure.gif

Trouble is...he's LATE to bed and early to rise.

dazed025.gif

I could certainly crash at about 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. if he would kindly do the same.

Bless him. heart.gif

That's right. They never seem to conform to our schedule, do they GG. Eat when they want to eat, go to the store when they want to, sleep when they want to. Tony will usually sleep all night now, but can't sleep by himself. He has to have someone sleeping with him. Tony was over this weekend, and he and I actually took a nap together.

awwwwwww, miss those naps sad.gif

Justin is on his own schedule now, usually STILL up at 5:30 when I get up.

At least we can have breakfast together. Keeping those vampire hours, grrr.

He just gets so wrapped up in things, movie marathons, PS3 marathons...

Stay up til he beats a new game.

Try to have a sunny day! 653.gif

hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 10 2008, 03:55 PM)
New article on CNN.com

Genetic glitch raises autism risk

That's great news. Hopefully as the research continues to target in on the cause, we'll get a treatment or a cure.

I have no desire to have anymore kids. I just want my one kid to not be Autistic.

my wife and i alway's send money to find a cure. a person very close to her is the mother of a boy who has it. just pray they find something to stop it

Please don't think my comment indicated that I do not consider my son a blessing, because I most certainly do. I just had him later in life, and have two step children who are great, so that was why I made the comment about no more children. I completely love my son, and always will. However, I don't know of any parent of an autistic child who does not wish their child did not have Autism.

I pray for my son every day, and pray for a cure every day too.