Autism

GhostGirl

I missed Jenny McCarthy on Oprah recently, and I'm trying to find it online somewhere.

I saw this short article and it made me feel good to read it. smile.gif

Jenny McCarthy: Carrey connects with autistic son

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Sep 21 2007, 10:09 AM)
She is on the cover of one of the supermarket checkout mags with an article about her sons autism

I'll have to find it. I just found out recently that John Travolta and Kelly Preston's 15 year old son Jett has autism, but, because of Scientology and its "logic," they won't even admit he has it. In Scientology, people with neurological conditions are considered "degraded" and can cure themselves with more study. sarcasm.gif

It pisses me off to no end that people with endless financial resources are doing NOTHING for their son. And I struggle every day to find ways to help mine. angry.gif

I knew John Travolta's son was Autistic, however I didn't know that Jenny McCarthy's son was.

I agree with GG, that for someone like Johnny T to deny his son's autism, with the wealth and clout he has, hurts the autism cause in general.

If I had the resources he had, there's nothing I couldn't do for Tony.

At least there are plenty of celebrities out there who don't deny their kids Autism and do whatever they can to bring the spotlight on it.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 21 2007, 11:02 AM)
I missed Jenny McCarthy on Oprah recently, and I'm trying to find it online somewhere.

I saw this short article and it made me feel good to read it. smile.gif

Jenny McCarthy: Carrey connects with autistic son

Tried to help you out in finding a clip on -line for you....On Oprah's site I found this but the video doesn't work for me (maybe you have to sign up? confused13.gif )

anyways there are some articles here concerning Jenny and her son Evan as well as actress Holly Robinson Peete and her son R.J....

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200709...?promocode=HP11

Hey GG:

I saw that piece on Yahoo! a few minutes ago and thought of you.

The Yahoo! item is the same as the AP story on CNN. I hope this story somehow helps the families and children impacted by autism.

I just watched Jenny McCarthy on 20/20, talking about her autistic son, Evan.

Dear Jenny,

You make it sound so easy! All you did was put Evan on a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, give him some medication and other therapies and -- eureka! -- Evan is "recovering" from autism? Wow, why didn't all these other parents think of all that? sarcasm.gif

Look, it's great that you're going public with all this. Unlike that idiot John Travolta who chooses to have his life and family governed by that "movie star cult" Scientology and its so-called "logic," you're bringing a lot of awareness to what's become an epidemic -- an epidemic the U.S. government seems reluctant to acknowledge. For that, you should be commended. But, Jenny, ex-Playboy model, actress and author, you have it SO much easier than most parents of autistic children have it. Most other families don't have the resources you have. Most can't afford to have a speech therapist come into their home every day/week to work with their kids. They can't afford the medications and special foods you give your son. That food is expensive! And not every kid will eat those special foods. Some autistic children are such picky eaters that they'll only eat what THEY want to eat. Worse yet, some kids aren't helped by those special diets -- some actually get worse! And insurance doesn't cover most of the medications and treatments and tests you're giving Evan (just what ARE those medications, anyway?). Many of these treatments are putting other families in debt, and their kids aren't getting much better.

I look at the footage of you and Evan, and I look at the families in that Autism Every Day video, and I see two very contrasting scenarios. Again, it's great that Evan is doing so well, and that you're bringing much needed awareness to autism, but you do NOT have it as bad as the families with severe cases of autistic kids have it. Maybe, just maybe, your son is a very high-functioning autism patient, capable of more advanced language skills. Maybe all your early intervention has helped him some, but maybe he wasn't as low-functioning as you first feared. Just a theory.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 21 2007, 10:43 PM)

Dear Jenny,

You make it sound so easy! All you did was put Evan on a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, give him some medication and other therapies and -- eureka! -- Evan is "recovering" from autism? Wow, why didn't all these other parents think of all that? sarcasm.gif

Look, it's great that you're going public with all this. Unlike that idiot John Travolta who chooses to have his life and family governed by that "movie star cult" Scientology and its so-called "logic," you're bringing a lot of awareness to what's become an epidemic -- an epidemic the U.S. government seems reluctant to acknowledge. For that, you should be commended. But, Jenny, ex-Playboy model, actress and author, you have it SO much easier than most parents of autistic children have it. Most other families don't have the resources you have. Most can't afford to have a speech therapist come into their home every day/week to work with their kids. They can't afford the medications and special foods you give your son. That food is expensive! And not every kid will eat those special foods. Some autistic children are such picky eaters that they'll only eat what THEY want to eat. Worse yet, some kids aren't helped by those special diets -- some actually get worse! And insurance doesn't cover most of the medications and treatments and tests you're giving Evan (just what ARE those medications, anyway?). Many of these treatments are putting other families in debt, and their kids aren't getting much better.

I look at the footage of you and Evan, and I look at the families in that Autism Every Day video, and I see two very contrasting scenarios. Again, it's great that Evan is doing so well, and that you're bringing much needed awareness to autism, but you do NOT have it as bad as the families with severe cases of autistic kids have it. Maybe, just maybe, your son is a very high-functioning autism patient, capable of more advanced language skills. Maybe all your early intervention has helped him some, but maybe he wasn't as low-functioning as you first feared. Just a theory.

goodpost.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I see some of the celebs talk about their lives like they

are dealing with the everyday things that the rest of the

world is dealing with, but this took the cake. I can't believe

that Evan was a severe case. I just don't think that she

quite understands all that actually goes into caring for an

autistic child. Yes, I understand that she has an autistic child,

but she has nannies, therapists, and all those "special" things

that the "normal" family doesn't have access and cash to get.

1-0-0-1... GREAT POST!!!

GG... As always... You and your family are always in our thoughts

and prayers. We all know that YOU are a wonderful mother doing

EVERYTHING you can for Stephen. Keep up your search on a way to

heal... With people like you out there, there is bound to be a cure.

heart.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 21 2007, 09:43 PM)

Dear Jenny,

Absolutely. goodpost.gif

Funny how those who live in that "bubble" can't seem to connect in a real way to the parents who are dealing in the real-life scenario like GG and her family. Nice to have all of those resources and options at your fingertips without a second thought to the cost. At least she has the advantage of recognizing that it isn't something that is the responsibility of the person afflicted with autism to "cure" themselves. That is just plain ignorant and irresponsible.

When I saw 1001's post last night, I was immediately grateful that he expressed what I was feeling...because last night I was too angry and upset to post.

Everything he said (and that was echoed by CeeJ and Sully wub.gif ) is EXACTLY right. I have yet to see one of the "miraculous" total rescues from autism that didn't happen in a pretty wealthy family with LOTS of resources at their disposal. The diet/supplement component is WITHOUT FAIL coupled with an intense and EXPENSIVE therapy program. If every child with autism was granted equal status and could receive one-on-one therapy from the day of diagnosis...you would see more and more kids being rescued. I'm still convinced that autism is a product of our toxic world and all the crap we put into our bodies (not only autism, but cancer and a thousand other problems) - but I'm just as convinced that early and intense intervention is the MOST important thing.

Stephen has had intervention since he was 2...and we have all worked hard to give him everything we can. But of course he would do better in a private therapy situation, instead of in public school - and a private, year-round therapy situation can run upwards of $100,000 a year. I don't quite make that much. sarcasm.gif

The sad, sad truth is that while autism strikes across all socioeconomic groups, the kids who are lucky enough to be born into upper class families get better treatment. And I think that is criminal.

I will continue to do my best for Stephen...his dad researches the scientific part of this constantly, and I do my best to work with his teachers and therapists at school to maximize his time there.

We could be down and gone, but we hold on...

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Sep 26 2007, 12:25 PM)
Good article about one mother's experience with autism.

My son has been diagnosed with AS and mild autism. Thought others might enjoy reading this story.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/24/jenny.autism/index.html

I just now finished reading that article online and was about to post it. I automatically that of GG. Thank you for beating me to the punch.

Thanks, guys...that means a lot to me. heart.gif

Here's the key quote, IMO:

" Not all children with autism will be able to make leaps like Evan. Some parents have worked longer and harder than I have, with no success, trying the exact same things.

I have no idea why some treatments work on some kids and not on others. But I beg moms and dads to at least try..."

We keep trying, but unfortunately Stephen didn't experience the "leaps."

I sometimes dread reading this topic because I know my daughter will always be autistic and there will be no miracle cure. All I can do is try to get her the best therapies and hope she has a chance at a somewhat normal life. The worst part is wondering what will happen to her after I'm gone.

My thoughts are with all of you that are dealing with a similar situation. Sigh. I think it's time escape to the "That's It" thread. bolt.gif

I've never heard of this guy, but rapper Sean Delaney has written a rap song called "Open Your Eyes". Here's a link to it on youtube.

I guess any exposure we can get to this is a benefit to all of our Autistic Children. I still feel in my heart of hearts that there will be a cure and GG's Stephen and my Tony, and everyone with Autism will be cured.

Edited by Cygnus The God Of Balance

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Sep 28 2007, 12:50 PM)
I guess any exposure we can get to this is a benefit to all of our Autistic Children. I still feel in my heart of hearts that there will be a cure and GG's Stephen and my Tony, and everyone with Autism will be cured.

Amen, brother.

heart.gif

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/zoowalk001.jpg

^^^Mr. Mischief goes to the zoo. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/2007ZOOWALKLOGO.jpg My Timothy. wub.gif He did sooo well this time!

Great turnout this year. The parking lot was over-flowing into Phoenix Municiple Stadium, and they were running shuttles

from parking to the zoo. There must have been tens of thousands. cheer.gif