Can Clockwork Angels Be Topped?

upstateNYfan

One just needs to look at the most popular posts in this thread to find out what they should do! I don't even need to to say it now but I will.. Strip it down more!

CA was a big step in the right direct from SnA but they need to take another equal step in the Same direction..

I personally would love to see them step into the studio and record a whole album the way they did the first one, playing LIVE with two or three takes for each song..

2 things needed.....for me at least.

Get a better producer. I don't care how many people want to praise the record. CA sounded like SHIT.

and

Trim your album to a good 40 minutes. This is one of Rush's biggest problem. I don't need an hour plus of music. I automatically start to tune out after about 45-47 mins.

Fix those and we are on the right track.

Mick

• Like 1

Well I listened to it again and I like it a little better. Maybe because of the reinforcement from here on a couple songs. Not sure.

Its still not in my list of favorite Rush albums.

Ghost Rider is in my head and it will not leave. I have that problem. A song will stick to my brain for weeks.

I heard an old song a couple days ago by The Toadies. Possum Kingdom. This song is also stuck to my brain for some reason.

Trim your album to a good 40 minutes. This is one of Rush's biggest problem. I don't need an hour plus of music. I automatically start to tune out after about 45-47 mins.

That's where we differ. I LOVE it when an album is an hour or so of music (so long as it's good, and not filler). I don't want to be dragged back to the days of vinyl-length albums.

That's where we differ. I LOVE it when an album is an hour or so of music (so long as it's good, and not filler). I don't want to be dragged back to the days of vinyl-length albums.

Cool. I just can't handle it. Ever long album gets trimmed by me anyway. So i guess it really doesn't matter what the duration is lol.

Mick

Get a better producer. I don't care how many people want to praise the record. CA sounded like SHIT.

and

Mick

I think rush should stick to the 35-50 minute lengths of the 70s and 80s, but acting like albums shouldn't be long is a bit crazy

Not that it would ever happen, but if they just played Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels and left the stage, I'd be one happy camper.

you'd be the only one lol

My reaction would be first this :scared: and then this :| and finally this :zzz:
  • Like 1

and

Mick

I think rush should stick to the 35-50 minute lengths of the 70s and 80s, but acting like albums shouldn't be long is a bit crazy

Lol......how is it crazy??? Some people just don't have the attention span for an hour plus. My thing is unless you have supreme material. don't overstay your welcome. and, IMO, CA is about half great, half filler. and yes i'm aware i'm in the minority here.

Mick

I'll never understand people that complain about long albums.. We only get 2 albums per decade now so let them throw as much as they want on it.

I get the "condensed with killer music" concept but geez, I still prefer Rush "filler" over most of what I hear on the radio..

• Like 5

I'll never understand people that complain about long albums.. We only get 2 albums per decade now so let them throw as much as they want on it.

I get the "condensed with killer music" concept but geez, I still prefer Rush "filler" over most of what I hear on the radio..

Hey i'm just one who hates overlong ANYTHING. Movies, books, albums....you name it, lol

Mick

and

Mick

Lol......how is it crazy??? Some people just don't have the attention span for an hour plus. My thing is unless you have supreme material. don't overstay your welcome. and, IMO, CA is about half great, half filler. and yes i'm aware i'm in the minority here.

Mick

I was just thinking about all the great albums that are longer than an hour

and to clarify, if rush came to atlanta and only planned on playing 2000s stuff I would be kinda let down, but all of that material is more exciting live anyway and I'll go see rush anytime they come near enough, so I'd still go and I'd have a good time too.
  • Like 1

Not that it would ever happen, but if they just played Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels and left the stage, I'd be one happy camper.

No, you wouldn't. I'd love it! :yes:

No, you wouldn't. I'd love it! :yes:

Me too!

There was a time I might've complained but now I'm glad to hear anything from them. Not to say anything derogatory about those three albums because I like them.

Hey i'm just one who hates overlong ANYTHING. Movies, books, albums....you name it, lol

Mick

Fair enough but I can't have enough Rush!!

Next time Rush puts out an album you should only listen to the first half of it for 2 or 3 years.. Then when it gets old pull out the other half and enjoy your new "album"! Lol.

Damn. That's not a half bad idea..!

• Like 3

here's something interesting I've noticed - most chicks don't dig rush, but the chicks that do are f***ing insane about them

I got lucky. My wife is also a big Rush fan.

Can CA be topped? In theory anything could be topped so. yes.

In practice? Yes. For starters, to much of a wall of sound. Give the songs up to (but not including) Halo Effect a little breathing room and they would be better. Toss in a few (only a few) keyboards as well and the songs would sound (to my ears) a bit better. Story does not thrill me either. The book certainly does not.

I have said elsewhere the album does not start well - to my ears. Only with Halo Effect does the album take off. But then it really takes off. From that song on its darn good.

Even so Rush has a lot of albums which top it. FBN and 2112 - HYF are all better. S & A is better. Presto and Counterparts? Hard to compare - let me think about that. I will reserve opinion on those match ups.

Don't take me as a CA hater - I am not that. Some parts I really don't like, some I love. Its just that Rush has done a lot of better work.

By the way - do I think they will even try to top it? A large part of me thinks that "Wish them Well" and "The Garden" were farewell songs. So I slightly lean in the direction of thinking that they may not.

• Like 1