The nerdy interests thread. Get your geek on!

The Analog Grownup

I am a nerd. I love science and medicine, I still play D&D, and I listen to Rush. I read all the time, usually fantasy stuff or nonfiction. I'd much rather spend time in a bookstore than at a sportsball game. I have no idea who most of these celebrity people are. Intelligence is sexy.
  • Like 3

• D&D/Tabletop games
  • Science Fiction
  • comic books
  • Formerly, (for the brief period it took me to realize a heroin addiction would be cheaper): Warhammer 40 000
  • Robotics (you'd be surprised how easy this is to get into financially and knowledge wise)
  • Video games. Now more than ever I'm into strategy games ranging from mindless DPS games like Starcraft to grand strategy games like Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings and Civ.

For a second I thought I might have posted this except for the robotics and the video games you played.

I was a nerdy child (now a nerdy grownup) who had plenty of time on my own. When I reached my adolescence I turned away from it, because being a geek didn't attract the girls.

I'm going to have to call complete BS here in regards to your self proclaimed nerdliness.

A true nerd would never forsake his nerdocity for something as nonsensical as chasing tail.

;)

Maps. I could look at an Atlas or globe or trail map or subway map all day. I can't remember anything, but I have found myself looking at streets in towns and cities across the world, on Google Maps that I'll never see.

I think Big Bang Theory is cool.

• Like 2

I was a nerdy child (now a nerdy grownup) who had plenty of time on my own. When I reached my adolescence I turned away from it, because being a geek didn't attract the girls.

I'm going to have to call complete BS here in regards to your self proclaimed nerdliness.

A true nerd would never forsake his nerdocity for something as nonsensical as chasing tail.

;)

Sssh! Not so loud!

:ph34r:

I have no nerdy interests. All of my interests are bloody brilliant!

:)

Bloody marvelous, sir! :cheers: ;)

Well, OK, I think I may have thought of one. Genealogy. I don't know many people under the age of 70 or so who know much or care much about their ancestry, family history, etc...I'm fascinated by it, myself.

Maps. I could look at an Atlas or globe or trail map or subway map all day.

I do that, too.

All right...this thread now has me coming to terms with the fact that I am still, in fact, a dork.

• Like 2

Maps. I could look at an Atlas or globe or trail map or subway map all day. I can't remember anything, but I have found myself looking at streets in towns and cities across the world, on Google Maps that I'll never see.

Maps are seriously cool! Another nerdy map thing I sometimes do it check out neighbourhoods in cities I used to live in, and "walking around" in street view. But, totally, from staring at our family's atlases as a kid to losing hours poking around Google Maps for no specific reason I wholeheartedly agree. :)

I tried translating "1-0-0-1-0-0-1" into binary code to see if it was an interesting number, but it only adds up to 73 which is not significant as far as I know.

However - if the android said "1-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0" it would be saying "2112".

Just thought you nerds would like to know that.

Or maybe Rush would like to play the song next time with a few extra zeroes.

• Like 1

The rich Brit is really into Legos...

http://cdn.freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Life-Size-LEGO-House-9.jpg

http://cdn.freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Life-Size-LEGO-House-8.jpg

The best part? He lives in Dorking. :LOL:

http://freshome.com/2009/09/01/james-may-builds-himself-a-real-lego-house/

• Like 2

Really surprised how many here still hold good memories for D&D! Awesomeness!! :)

http://i59.tinypic.com/126bjiq.jpg

I had friends that were really into it. I played a couple of times, but lost interest. These guys did things like actually stop the game and rest because their characters were tired, or actually meditated to rebuild their cleric's strength. That just felt weird.

^^^ Well that is plain weird, sorry about that. Thankfully I fell into a great bunch who were perfect - Uni types who treated it professionally but liked a laugh as well and made time go very quickly. It was good they were like that or it might've given me the wrong impression at a much younger age. I never felt I had enough of it. When that chapter drifted away I never found the same dynamic again. It broke up all too soon, at least for me. Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

I tried translating "1-0-0-1-0-0-1" into binary code to see if it was an interesting number, but it only adds up to 73 which is not significant as far as I know.

However - if the android said "1-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0" it would be saying "2112".

73 is the twenty-first prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the twelfth and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3…. In binary, 73 is a palindrome: 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, which backwards is 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Check out this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/73_%28number%29

I am fully aware I'm a geek.

• Like 2

73 is the twenty-first prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the twelfth and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3…. In binary, 73 is a palindrome: 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, which backwards is 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Check out this page:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/73_(number)

I am fully aware I'm a geek.

So in a way it still says 2112, right?

• Like 1