Neil Rules, and Here's Why

upstateNYfan

The upcoming Modern Drummer has compiled a list of the best drummers of all time. Neil was rated number 3 behind Buddy Rich and John Bonham. I realize these lists can get tired and are subjective, however Neil ought to be number 1, and here's why:

-Longevity. 40 years, despite some horrenous setbacks

-Inspiration. To legions of drummers. Some even play because of him

-Versatility. He's not the fastest, the best swingin', or the most subtle, but he can do every style with at least decent results

-Evolution. After all, he doesn't have to try so hard anymore. Yet he still does, and is always pushing to improve

As far as raw ability, I can't see how anyone can argue against Buddy. Bonham is the most commercially successful.

But it's Neil who does it all.

• Like 12

I think I have to agree with you… you made some valid arguments. Buddy, no doubt was the King of rudimentary drumming. What he could do with a four piece kit and three cymbals was shocking. (A one handed buzz roll for starters.) John Bonham was unbelievably skilled too, also on the small set (with just one bass drum.) I never thought he was THAT good until I really started watching him during his solos... wow! He was doing things integrating his bass drum and hands long before anyone else had ever even seen that kind of thing.

Neil is not a skilled as Buddy, but they are oranges and apples. Could Buddy play rock like Neil? No, of course not. Could Neil play like Bonham? I say yes. He has been a huge figure in the industry for 40 years, has inspired more modern drummers than anyone (including me when I was a kid) and he can play his ass off. I could watch his solo in Rush in Rio over and over… that solos is maybe the best rock drummer solo of all time. When he was 25 or so, he was one of the best rock drummers anywhere. Look at him now…

There are others who are (I hate to admit this) actually better players than Neil, like Thomas Lang, Dave Weckl, Tony Royster Jr. Mike Portnoy and Bill Bruford, just to name a few. But, none of those guys has done what Neil has done in the overall picture. Not even EFFING close.

I think I have to agree with you… you made some valid arguments. Buddy, no doubt was the King of rudimentary drumming. What he could do with a four piece kit and three cymbals was shocking. (A one handed buzz roll for starters.) John Bonham was unbelievably skilled too, also on the small set (with just one bass drum.) I never thought he was THAT good until I really started watching him during his solos... wow! He was doing things integrating his bass drum and hands long before anyone else had ever even seen that kind of thing.

Neil is not a skilled as Buddy, but they are oranges and apples. Could Buddy play rock like Neil? No, of course not. Could Neil play like Bonham? I say yes. He has been a huge figure in the industry for 40 years, has inspired more modern drummers than anyone (including me when I was a kid) and he can play his ass off. I could watch his solo in Rush in Rio over and over… that solos is maybe the best rock drummer solo of all time. When he was 25 or so, he was one of the best rock drummers anywhere. Look at him now…

There are others who are (I hate to admit this) actually better players than Neil, like Thomas Lang, Dave Weckl, Tony Royster Jr. Mike Portnoy and Bill Bruford, just to name a few. But, none of those guys has done what Neil has done in the overall picture. Not even EFFING close.

I can't recall the punishment for blasphemy around here.... :sarcastic: :)

It depends on what's said, which varies according to what can seem random:

:Neil: OKAY: Drug addict, grumpy old man, hates fans. NOT OKAY: "I think he missed a cymbal or something."

:Alex: OKAY: Party animal, nutcase, might need a tranquilizer dart. NOT OKAY: "Wasn't that riff in a Journey song?"

:geddy: OKAY: Worst singer ever, ugly, various anti-semitic stuff. NOT OKAY: "I thought that was a girl singing at first."

• Like 7

:Neil: OKAY: Drug addict, grumpy old man, hates fans. NOT OKAY: "I think he missed a cymbal or something."

:Alex: OKAY: Party animal, nutcase, might need a tranquilizer dart. NOT OKAY: "Wasn't that riff in a Journey song?"

:geddy: OKAY: Worst singer ever, ugly, various anti-semitic stuff. NOT OKAY: "I thought that was a girl singing at first."

My favorite post of yours ever...... Beautifully done!!! :cheers: and salutations :)
  • Like 1

I think these lists are done just to stir the pot.. As far as BEST, yeah, Buddy Rich I would say fits comfortably at number one.. But Bonham and Peart are the best more for their influence and popularity than actual overall skill.. They are both phenomenal, but among drummer snobs, there are countless guys above them.. Vinnie Couilata, Dennis Chambers, Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, Dave Weckl.. Guys like that are considered best among real drum enthusiasts..

• Like 1

I don't think John Bonham should be number two. Not by a long shot. He never really impressed me that much as a drummer.

According to Mojo.com, Neil is third behind Keith Moon and John Bonham... at least in the rock category. So I guess Neil is literally the best rock drummer alive(?)

I don't think John Bonham should be number two. Not by a long shot. He never really impressed me that much as a drummer.

According to Mojo.com, Neil is third behind Keith Moon and John Bonham... at least in the rock category. So I guess Neil is literally the best rock drummer alive(?)

That's the distinction these lists need to make. Among ROCK drummers, sure, Neil , IMO , is among the best ever.

That's a good point.

:LMAO:

• Like 2

I never thought Keith Moon was all that great… showman and maniac, yes. None of his playing is hard to duplicate at all. I could play the drums along to any Who song when I was 15.

For some reason, Carl Palmer is often left off of these lists…

The upcoming Modern Drummer has compiled a list of the best drummers of all time. Neil was rated number 3 behind Buddy Rich and John Bonham. I realize these lists can get tired and are subjective, however Neil ought to be number 1, and here's why:

-Longevity. 40 years, despite some horrenous setbacks

-Inspiration. To legions of drummers. Some even play because of him

-Versatility. He's not the fastest, the best swingin', or the most subtle, but he can do every style with at least decent results

-Evolution. After all, he doesn't have to try so hard anymore. Yet he still does, and is always pushing to improve

As far as raw ability, I can't see how anyone can argue against Buddy. Bonham is the most commercially successful.

But it's Neil who does it all.

Now, if only he would get rid of those f*ckin' DW drums.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

if you really need to ask why keith moon or bonham are at the top of every rock drummer list, you need to realize that technicality is not what makes something good. plus, ask neil how he feels about keith moon, john bonham, ginger baker, etc. would zep or the who sound nearly as good with drummers who were strictly technical? sometimes rock needs to sound loose and free
  • Like 3

I never thought Keith Moon was all that great… showman and maniac, yes. None of his playing is hard to duplicate at all. I could play the drums along to any Who song when I was 15.

For some reason, Carl Palmer is often left off of these lists…

carl palmer hasn't done anything good since 1973. the guy's awesome though

neil doesn't believe in god :( !!!

Good points above. No one has or ever will come close to Buddy Rich. Neil would be the first to admit it. He did those tributes to Buddy and at times felt inadequate in contributing to the sessions. Buddy Rich was super human. And by the way had longevity longer than Neil. He was a child drumming star. It always makes me laugh when people dismiss John Bonham. That guy was a monster and could do things especially with his right foot, that not many others could copy. He played many different styles as a member of Led Zeppelin and deserves a spot amongst the all time greats.
  • Like 3

if you really need to ask why keith moon or bonham are at the top of every rock drummer list, you need to realize that technicality is not what makes something good. plus, ask neil how he feels about keith moon, john bonham, ginger baker, etc. would zep or the who sound nearly as good with drummers who were strictly technical? sometimes rock needs to sound loose and free

It's one of the knocks on Neil.. To stiff

Deep Purple's Ian Paice would be my number 1 in the best rock drummer category - perfect blend of chops and groove imo. Neil is awesome for Rush but I don't think he's a particularly adaptable player, even when playing with other rock bands. Not that I hold that against him though. I think in a lot of ways it just helps to make his identity as a musician stronger, along with the band's. He has a very set and personalised approach on the drums that (with the exception of his solos) really needs the context of Rush to function properly. It's sort of like Rush's music has become as bigger part of his playing as his playing has of the music. That's why I'd never consider him to be number 1 on a "greatest rock drummer list" because his style is so individual, along with the band that brought it on, it doesn't really fit the needs for most rock bands. I think Rush is one of the few bands that has managed to transcend any real genres or labels and it's things like this that show it.
  • Like 1

It's one of the knocks on Neil.. To stiff

I don't think he sounds stiff at all on his first few albums with the band, it's around farewell where he becomes more of a "prog drummer" to me anyway

but yeah most folks who knock neil just bitch about how technical he is, but I think he sounds awesome. on the flipside, people who ONLY like technical drummers like peart and portnoy are almost as annoying

• Like 1

Loose and free? Neil? In front of other humans? :eh:

• Like 1