Rush Vinyl Lives On

Massey165

I've been a Rush fan since Singnals. A local radio station played that album and I tape recorded it. Then I went and bought the vinyl album. Later I think around 1994 after I got my first "real" job I ordered some more vinyl albums from what I think was an advertisment in Goldmine. I ordered and received Counterparts which I believe is from Germany, a radio promo copy of I think Time Stand still that was supposed to be autographed by Geddy. I think it says something like thanks CW or something like that and a radio promo copy of The Big Money. Looks like from what I can tell none verifiable autograph albums aren't really worth much so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I still have my worn and tattered Signals album. I just moved my old stereo stuff out of storage and I still have all my old albums. I had to send my amplifier (Kenwood KA 8100) off for repair since it was on the fritz. It sure brings back some old memories. Can't wait to ge the amplifer back and see what some of those old records sound like.
  • Like 3

Sounds like you have some nice discs there! I do love vinyl; last year I expanded my Rush vinyl collection by adding Vapor Trails remixed and the Garden 10". I remember that when Counterparts was released I didn't yet have a CD player (I resisted for a looong time!) and I had some trouble to find a vinyl copy. Next album was of course T4E which only seems to have a bootlegged vinyl (no official version). I was glad when the band released Vapor Trails onward on vinyl, as I was sure the format was gone! Now it seems back in vogue. :)

I have quite a lot of Rush vinyl- my favourite is my test pressing of Moving Pictures. :wub:

Sounds like you have some nice discs there! I do love vinyl; last year I expanded my Rush vinyl collection by adding Vapor Trails remixed and the Garden 10". I remember that when Counterparts was released I didn't yet have a CD player (I resisted for a looong time!) and I had some trouble to find a vinyl copy. Next album was of course T4E which only seems to have a bootlegged vinyl (no official version). I was glad when the band released Vapor Trails onward on vinyl, as I was sure the format was gone! Now it seems back in vogue. :)

I have quite a lot of Rush vinyl- my favourite is my test pressing of Moving Pictures. :wub:

Did it pass the test? .... :P
  • Like 1

I have a Linn LP-12 powered by an LSA Statement integrated, driving a pair of Reference 3A de Capo i's. The other day, to test out a new Elyse cartridge, I threw on the limited edition 180 gram SnA vinyl.

Yeah - it still sucked for the most part. The highlights over the CD were 'The Larger Bowl' and 'Bravest Face'. Full of warmth and presence.

Most everything esle sounded 2-dimensional.

The 832 pressing of the HYF vinyl is full of sonic nuances and beauty, though.

• Like 1

I have a Linn LP-12 powered by an LSA Statement integrated, driving a pair of Reference 3A de Capo i's. The other day, to test out a new Elyse cartridge, I threw on the limited edition 180 gram SnA vinyl.

Yeah - it still sucked for the most part. The highlights over the CD were 'The Larger Bowl' and 'Bravest Face'. Full of warmth and presence.

I wish I could say I understood any of that.... :eh:
  • Like 1

Linn turntable

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/turntables/sondek-lp12

LSA Statement integrated amplifier

http://www.thelsagroup.com/statementamp.html

Reference 3A de Capo speakers

http://www.reference3a.com/decapo.html

The 832 is the pressing number for the HYF vinyl. A good, heavy pressing early on in the pressing history before the master wore thin.

• Like 1

Linn turntable

http://www.linn.co.u...les/sondek-lp12

http://www.thelsagro...atementamp.html

The 832 is the pressing number for the HYF vinyl. A good, heavy pressing early on in the pressing history before the master wore thin.

Thanks I guess. :)
  • Like 1

Linn turntable

Those speakers don't seem to fit with your amp or vice versa. That's a sweet amp, btw.

Linn turntable

Those speakers don't seem to fit with your amp or vice versa. That's a sweet amp, btw.

My listening room (i.e., finished basement surrounded by toddler toys) is so small that full range floorstanders would be overwhelming. If we move to a larger place, I'll most likely move up to floorstanders. The de Capo's are pretty solid for monitors under $5k.

The LSA is probably the best sounding integrated I've ever heard that's not a Nagra or a Burmester or the other ultra-hi-end stuff. It has a tube-powered pre-amp section that's as mellow and transparent as anything.

2112 also sounds wonderful on vinyl, especially the Overture.

How often does God call you to borrow money?

I got everything used off of http://www.audiogon.com, the hi-end audio marketplace, for about half or more of the retail price. Most used audio equipment is just as good as new.

Excellent!!

- I have recently become a very novice vinyl aficionado :)

I bought an Audio Technica LP60 - which I was told is a good starter turntable, as well as some great studio headphones by the same company.

I have this running through a solid little preamp and a couple of bookshelf speakers, since this resides in my "man-cave" and not hooked up through the house system lol

On the Rush front, I have S&A, Clockwork Angels, and the VT remix - which all sound splendid. Clockwork Angels just really breathes on vinyl - it's the best way to hear it.

I also have some old gems: Two 45's that I actually bought at a little record store on Yong Street in Toronto on a business trip with my Dad - Time Stand Still / High Water and The Big Money / Red Sector A Live - which is an unreleased version produced by none other than Terry Brown!! (anyone hear of this?) - It's the best live version of the song I've ever heard. The covers are worn but he discs are in great shape.

I also have GUP that is in great shape, a picture disc of "Prime Mover" and my crowning jewels (so far), original 1976 pressings of "RUSH" and "Caress of Steel" - both in mint condition!!!

I also found a few cool stuff my partner had stored away, including mint condition original pressings of Appetite for Destruction, Men at Work Business as Usual, U2 The Joshua Tree,

This is fast becoming my favorite new hobby - I really see why people are so stoked about vinyl. There is a warmth and feel to it that simply blows away digitized music.

I'm definitely looking to expand my system and collection. Would love any input or advice from the more seasoned audiophiles!

Cheers

:)

• Like 1

Excellent!!

- I have recently become a very novice vinyl aficionado :)

I bought an Audio Technica LP60 - which I was told is a good starter turntable, as well as some great studio headphones by the same company.

I have this running through a solid little preamp and a couple of bookshelf speakers, since this resides in my "man-cave" and not hooked up through the house system lol

On the Rush front, I have S&A, Clockwork Angels, and the VT remix - which all sound splendid. Clockwork Angels just really breathes on vinyl - it's the best way to hear it.

I also have some old gems: Two 45's that I actually bought at a little record store on Yong Street in Toronto on a business trip with my Dad - Time Stand Still / High Water and The Big Money / Red Sector A Live - which is an unreleased version produced by none other than Terry Brown!! (anyone hear of this?) - It's the best live version of the song I've ever heard. The covers are worn but he discs are in great shape.

I also have GUP that is in great shape, a picture disc of "Prime Mover" and my crowning jewels (so far), original 1976 pressings of "RUSH" and "Caress of Steel" - both in mint condition!!!

I also found a few cool stuff my partner had stored away, including mint condition original pressings of Appetite for Destruction, Men at Work Business as Usual, U2 The Joshua Tree,

This is fast becoming my favorite new hobby - I really see why people are so stoked about vinyl. There is a warmth and feel to it that simply blows away digitized music.

I'm definitely looking to expand my system and collection. Would love any input or advice from the more seasoned audiophiles!

Cheers

Eshine - what speakers and pre do you have? Do you want to upgrade anything? How old is your needle and cartridge on your Audio Technica? How loud or soft do you play? How big is your room? What's your budget? I can point you to some suggestions along those lines.

I've started a new thread in the "Making Modern Music" forum for just this discussion - and other audiophile topics. Not sure if it's the right forum; hopefully the admin will move as necessary?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/86236-rush-audiophiles-vinyl-digital-etc/

Edited by coventry

That recording of Red Sector A is taken from the Grace Under Pressure concert that was released on video/CD/DVD.

It was unreleased when it was first issued.

The only B-side that remains unreleased currently (other than the first Moon single) is Vital Signs (live) which is the B-side to the New World Man 45.

I haven't had any Rush on vinyl in a very long time. This thread is making me want to pick up some, now. I really have no excuse for having a couple hundred other records, and no Rush.

I have all the studio albums and a few singles & 12"s up to RTB on vinyl, stopped buying Rush altogether at that point until VT and then only on CD.

I wouldnt mind hearing the MFSL PW on Vinyl, I have the MFSL cds but would love to hear the vinyl version on a good setup.

I just picked up some radio promo 12" singles from an antique shop yesterday! Amazing condition! I got them for $20 each. Can anyone tell me what these are worth roughly out of curiosity? I don't plan on selling them though..

-The Weapon/Digital Man

-The Body Electric (both sides)

-Big Money (both sides/ still factory sealed)

They also had a copy of 'Close to the Edge' in amazing condition with every band member's autograph on the front.. They want $60. I know autographs sometimes hurt value but I don't care, I'll probably go pick it up!

• Like 1

I'd guess a little more than what you paid for them. They seem to be pretty hard to find these days. I would imagine the on that's still sealed might go for even more.

I have two those myself. I'm missing The Weapon with the Count Floyd intro/Digital Man.