What is the best cup of coffee you have ever had?

Mystic Rythm

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in 1996 in Cancun at the Royal Solaris Resort. To this day I have not had a better cup of regular coffee than what they served there. I need to find out what brand they serve in those resorts and how to get it!

I can't really remember what kind of coffee it was but I do remember the great strawberry pop tart I had with it..... :D-13:
  • Like 2

There was a little coffee shop that was in a Kinkos next to a place I worked some years ago. Best coffee I ever had. This very cute young girl owned and ran the place and was unfortunately forced out by the people who owned the shopping center because a Dunkin Donuts was opening there. They told Kinkos they had to kick her out.

Pissed me off because I started every day with a great cup of coffee and some awesome eye candy.

Y'know, I'm a complete snob when it comes to spirits -- I'm a Scotch enthusiast and I don't tolerate anything (that I perceive as) crappy. I'm a total dick when it comes to cocktails -- my Manhattans must be prepared just so. I'm kind of a douche about my Cabernet Sauvignons. But coffee? As much as I love it -- and I must have it every morning -- it all tastes the same to me! It's kinda sad :(

These days, the best coffee is simply the first cup in the morning, if it's fresh.

As a kid, sip from my grandpa's was a treat...lots of sugar and condensed milk.

My mom drank Scotch Buy instant, with warm tap water. That's the worst I've had.

Edited by goose

The one I make myself.

Not trying to be snobby here, but I grind my own beans (dark roasted espresso beans) and while I do that I pour some boiling water into one of these

http://www.husplushave.dk/wp-content/uploads/bodum-chambord-stempelkande.jpg

to let it preheat. I empty the pot, put the grinded beans in and pour some boiling water on top. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then push the lever down.

The reason it tastes better is because everything is clean to begin with. Imagine how many cups of coffee that has been through the machine, where you buy your coffee, before it gets cleaned? What you are tasting is day old residue not the coffee itself. My old family in law made some horrible bland coffee, and I could not understand why until I saw their coffee machine. It had not been cleaned for many years! My tastebuds deserves better than that.

:)

• Like 2

I also grind my own beans; I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's a local roastery here where I live, called Boston Stoker, and they have some really good stuff. But not enough of a selection of dark roasts, which are what I drink.

I order my coffee from the Vienna Coffee Company in Maryville, Tennessee- their Costa Rica SHB is probably the best coffee I've ever tasted. I drink 3-4 cups a day.

Great topic...I love talking about my coffee, and hearing about other serious drinkers' favorites!

• Like 1

Y'know, I'm a complete snob when it comes to spirits -- I'm a Scotch enthusiast and I don't tolerate anything (that I perceive as) crappy. I'm a total dick when it comes to cocktails -- my Manhattans must be prepared just so. I'm kind of a douche about my Cabernet Sauvignons. But coffee? As much as I love it -- and I must have it every morning -- it all tastes the same to me! It's kinda sad :(

Hoooboy, I have had some nasty bad coffee. What I hate the most is that it's different wherever you go. Everyone uses their own beans and brewing method and there's no consistency, even within the major chains. With alcohol, there's a recipe that you can follow and you can even specify which bottles you want the bar to use when making mixed drinks or you can order your favorite bottle of wine and you know the taste is going to be what you expect.

But with coffee, it is all over the place.

The one I make myself.

Not trying to be snobby here, but I grind my own beans (dark roasted espresso beans) and while I do that I pour some boiling water into one of these

http://www.husplushave.dk/wp-content/uploads/bodum-chambord-stempelkande.jpg

to let it preheat. I empty the pot, put the grinded beans in and pour some boiling water on top. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then push the lever down.

The reason it tastes better is because everything is clean to begin with. Imagine how many cups of coffee that has been through the machine, where you buy your coffee, before it gets cleaned? What you are tasting is day old residue not the coffee itself. My old family in law made some horrible bland coffee, and I could not understand why until I saw their coffee machine. It had not been cleaned for many years! My tastebuds deserves better than that.

:)

I did this for years and it is true... using a French press produces the best cup of coffee. Grinding your own beans smells so good too. I haven't treated myself to this for years though. Especially since the kids were babies because when it's 2am, 4am, 6am you need to make that coffee and get it into your system ASAP. I've since sort of gotten used to bad drip coffee. Right now, I just use Folgers. I brew a really strong cup. I don't like sugar or cream in my coffee, just black.
  • Like 1

This is how we make our coffee over here.

WITH MOUSTACHE!!!!!! :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

http://www.conranshop.co.uk/conrancatalog/product/xlarge/global/images/main/357210.png

You know, I bought one about a year ago and hated it. Maybe I had the wrong grind (I had to use a local café to grind the beans for me). There was always this layer of coffee muck and it seemed really thick. I used it a couple times and got rid of it.

Hoooboy, I have had some nasty bad coffee. What I hate the most is that it's different wherever you go. Everyone uses their own beans and brewing method and there's no consistency, even within the major chains. With alcohol, there's a recipe that you can follow and you can even specify which bottles you want the bar to use when making mixed drinks or you can order your favorite bottle of wine and you know the taste is going to be what you expect.

But with coffee, it is all over the place.

But that is also part of the charm :)

http://www.conranshop.co.uk/conrancatalog/product/xlarge/global/images/main/357210.png

I used to use one of those until one day it kind of blew up and spewed coffee all over the walls. I would rather go full tilt and buy an espresso machine ;)

• Like 1

I don't drink coffee. I did have a coffee enema once but I can't remember what brand or blend they used. Sorry.. :( Edited by Narpet

I used to use one of those until one day it kind of blew up and spewed coffee all over the walls. I would rather go full tilt and buy an espresso machine ;)

http://mocoloco.com/fresh2/upload/2010/05/y1_iperespresso_machine_by_illy/francisfrancis_x1_espresso_machine.jpg

Our little baby. I'm gonna go fire it up right now, as a matter of fact.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

http://mocoloco.com/fresh2/upload/2010/05/y1_iperespresso_machine_by_illy/francisfrancis_x1_espresso_machine.jpg

Our little baby. I'm gonna go fire it up right now, as a matter of fact.

I've been fearful of spending the money on an espresso machine. I worked in cafes for years, in Seattle, in the early 90s when there were only little cafes. No Starbucks on every corner. I was taught how to pull the perfect shot of espresso and it does not happen on the first pull. In fact, it requires a lot of adjustments which means, you can go through a ton of coffee before you get that perfect pull. The grind needs to be perfect and the espresso needs to fill the shot glass in a certain amount of time. This is also why I cannot watch people in cafes today pull espresso. I cringe when I see it taking a loooong time for that espresso to fill those shot glasses or when it pours really fast because I know what the coffee is going to taste like.

Although, I guess if I'm willing to drink store brand coffee in my coffee maker, I shouldn't be too picky!!

• Like 1