Would you be opposed to Geddy lip-syncing or using voice-enhancement technology to cover older material in concert?

GeminiRising79

"Hold The Liiiiine!!!

Love isn't always on tiiiiime!"

Ooh...some classy stuff right there...

o right...Rush...

So you want Rush to resort to everything that is wrong with the music industry nowdays? It's at an all time low. Teenagers don't even know who's talented and who isn't because everybody fakes it nowdays. A few backups are fine but I think Rush would lose the respect of the majority of their audience if they start lip synching main vocal tracks. Hope this answers your question on where I stand. Edited by presto123
  • Like 2

He already does it, doesn't he?

His threads are growing weaker. Kurt?!? Slipping bro. Corinthian leather—bring it back!!!

Where's Ricardo?.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg/800px-1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg

Nobody could say "co-reen-thee-in" like Ricardo

I was in life's full swing when that car came out... :codger:

How old's the car?

I've been thinking about this for a while now, Geddy's voice and ageing, and I think I actually like that his voice is changing as he ages. Rush is a band I've loved for the majority of my life, and I'm in my 40's now. I feel my process of getting older has been reflected in the band changing over the years, and I really like that. I feel like I relate to the themes in CA, for example, better now that I'm older, and I am glad these guys I've been paying attention to for all these years are still creating music that I enjoy and connect with.

Geddy can't hit some of the high notes or sing some of my favourite songs? So? Would I want technology or another singer to cover that? No. Rush is Geddy, Alex, and Neil for me. That'd be the start of a slippery slope to something like Yes has become. Yes is another life long favourite of mine, but you couldn't pay me to go see them now. It's like Squire, White, and Howe joined a Yes tribute band. Sure these new guys can hit the notes and tour like Jon Anderson can't anymore, but I don't care. Who the hell is singing for Yes now? Who cares?

Part of getting older is acceptance of the changes we go through. Watching these guys push 60 and still do what they do is hugely inspiring to me, not disheartening. Maybe it's just getting older and not being obsessive about controlling things you'll never control. Want to hear ATWAS? Put on the record. Holding up ATWAS as an excuse for not liking CA? Well, that's anyone's call, but it makes me a bit sad for folks. I'm glad I love the new stuff, too, and can see/listen to the band in 2014 without constantly needing to frame it in frustration that it isn't 1974.

• Like 3

As a big fan of Jethro Tull, I'm just glad Geddy's voice hasn't gone the same way as Ian Anderson's. Throat problems in the late 80's have left Ian's voice in a bad way ever since. He has his good days and bad days, but he struggles for breath, so sometimes has a hard time getting all the words out. I watched a video of him struggling through 'Locomotive Breath' in the early 90's, and it was upsetting to watch. I really felt sorry for the guy.

Sure, Geddy can't reach all the places with his voice that he once could, but I'm just thankful that he can still cover as much ground as he can.

• Like 4

Oh hell no. Lip synching would make a travesty of the show. I'd rather hear him sounding like a garbage disposal with a bad case of the flu than see him lipsynch.

Heck I've never really fully accepted the various triggered background vocals, even. Bad enough to see Al lipsynching to those (unless someone leaves his mic on... ;) )

Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 2

He already does it, doesn't he?

His threads are growing weaker. Kurt?!? Slipping bro. Corinthian leather—bring it back!!!

Where's Ricardo?.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg/800px-1978-1979_Chrysler_Cordoba.jpg

Nobody could say "co-reen-thee-in" like Ricardo

I was in life's full swing when that car came out... :codger:

How old's the car?

I think I would be oppsosed to this. Rush have always prided themselves with how they re-create their music live, and I believe they would not consider this. Over the last few tours I noticed Geddy's voice has lowered a bit, but he can still sing. I really wouldn't mind if they tune'd down the songs to accomodoate his voice. On this past tour they performed songs that Geddy could sing and I thought it was a great show - one of my favorites. Edited by Scooch
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about this for a while now, Geddy's voice and ageing, and I think I actually like that his voice is changing as he ages. Rush is a band I've loved for the majority of my life, and I'm in my 40's now. I feel my process of getting older has been reflected in the band changing over the years, and I really like that. I feel like I relate to the themes in CA, for example, better now that I'm older, and I am glad these guys I've been paying attention to for all these years are still creating music that I enjoy and connect with.

Geddy can't hit some of the high notes or sing some of my favourite songs? So? Would I want technology or another singer to cover that? No. Rush is Geddy, Alex, and Neil for me. That'd be the start of a slippery slope to something like Yes has become. Yes is another life long favourite of mine, but you couldn't pay me to go see them now. It's like Squire, White, and Howe joined a Yes tribute band. Sure these new guys can hit the notes and tour like Jon Anderson can't anymore, but I don't care. Who the hell is singing for Yes now? Who cares?

Part of getting older is acceptance of the changes we go through. Watching these guys push 60 and still do what they do is hugely inspiring to me, not disheartening. Maybe it's just getting older and not being obsessive about controlling things you'll never control. Want to hear ATWAS? Put on the record. Holding up ATWAS as an excuse for not liking CA? Well, that's anyone's call, but it makes me a bit sad for folks. I'm glad I love the new stuff, too, and can see/listen to the band in 2014 without constantly needing to frame it in frustration that it isn't 1974.

This is a great post, especially the bolded part. I sometimes feel kind of sorry for all the old-time fans around here whose primary relationship with Rush's music seems to be a mourning for youth, whether their own or the band's. It's nice to be reminded that there are old-time fans whose relationship with Rush's music represents more what it represents to me -- a celebration of life.

Geddy, Alex and Neil have made me less afraid of getting older. I certainly can't say the same thing about all those who, even if they still love Rush can't stop adding caveats about how much better it was "back when" or banging on about how Rush should get back together with Terry Brown.

• Like 5

No I want to hear my boyfriend serenading me with his actual voice, I don't care how he sounds. Edited by gangsterfurious

How else can Geddy hit the higher notes on the classic greats? Are they going to eventually phase out any song he can no longer accomodate? They're going to have to make a decision relatively soon. I'm a purist by nature, but I'd rather hear him sync-ing or enhanced while singing the classics, rather than hearing a concert largely composed of the newer bullchit.

He can't just like I can't lose 6 pounds in one week any longer. Stop living in the past, you want to pay money to see Geddy stand there and be a fraud? Just go away!

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-17/art/dq6-troll.jpg

• Like 2

Once Geddy Lee starts lip syncing, that's the moment I lose faith in music. Of all people, HE'S lip syncing?!

I am opposed.

• Like 3

I think I would be OK with a prerecorded vocal for the original melody on his older air raid siren days with his customized new harmony line being sung live.

Overall, I'm cool with the fact that he ain't 25 again and that is just fine.

• Like 4

So you want Rush to resort to everything that is wrong with the music industry nowdays? It's at an all time low. Teenagers don't even know who's talented and who isn't because everybody fakes it nowdays. A few backups are fine but I think Rush would lose the respect of the majority of their audience if they start lip synching main vocal tracks. Hope this answers your question on where I stand.

I don't look at it as compromise or following a popular trend, whatsoever. You would be using technology to aid Geddy's failing voice to help him accomplish singing classic material. You are not enhancing up a young, (excusez-moi)shit singer, but someone who really needs it due to the aging process. I'd rather hear him sing hemispheres with enhancements, than never to hear live again. That's my point.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 3

I think I would be OK with a prerecorded vocal for the original melody on his older air raid siren days with his customized new harmony line being sung live.

Kenny I've watched your videos and really enjoyed them. Pretty close to the real thing.

Since GR79 is in such a tailspin, please give him your next gig locations and dates. He wants to hear those era's so I figure help his situation. You're from Delaware and he's in DC...it works!

• Like 2

Kenny I've watched your videos and really enjoyed them. Pretty close to the real thing.

Since GR79 is in such a tailspin, please give him your next gig locations and dates. He wants to hear those era's so I figure help his situation. You're from Delaware and he's in DC...it works!

Maybe someone could pay my fair and GR79 and I could go together..... :)

A budding bro-mance forged in TRF. you're made for each other

• Like 2

A budding bro-mance forged in TRF. you're made for each other

What can I say? I see and feel some of the man's points and I think I get where he's coming from. Just keep'in it real. Pretense is my sworn enemy... :)
  • Like 3

Geddy sings so damn good.

Put down the bottle Duff-Man!

I think its a 40....... :)

Strickly Mad-Dog for the Duff-Man!

Mogen David—the great wino beverage. Never passed my lips. Is it good?

I can't really remember! All I can ascertain is a County Fair, Kissing a clown and viewing my house from extreme heights and waking up the next day with by @ss in pain. It was either the Mad - Dog 20/20 or I was Abducted by aliens.

:moon: