Presto

Brucey

I really enjoy this album! It has some really interesting moments and I enjoy it from start to finish, which is funny considering I don't even think its one of their best.

Better than HYF, not as good as RTB.

Narpet...buy the recent albums box set and catch up! Lol, I think you will find the odd gem here and there.

That's the problem....... :)

Just listen to them on youtube or something!

I think you misunderstood. I will not listen to 40 minutes of music to find 5 minutes of good music. Truth is I have tried to listen to that era and all it does is bum me out. I sounds nothing like the band I fell in love with. I understand, however, that age groups and demographics vary widely on this forum. I can completely understand how someone much younger than I may have first gotten into the band during that era and loves it. It's just not for me. The music I really like is pre Hold You Fire. The music I really love is pre Moving Pictures. Hope that makes some sense. My truth as always, setting me free.... :codger:

Narpet, come 'round to my place and I'll play you some post Moving Pictures stuff that will blow your mind. I have beer! ;)

I would love for my mind to be blown and I enjoy a good beer as well. From what I've read about where you live I may need to bring a raincoat..... :huh: :)

:laughing yellow guy: I keep my stereo dry, though. And the beer is cooled! :LOL:

The fact you have seen at least somewhat what I look like and are still inviting me is humbling. On to the "what made your day thread" for me..... :)
  • Like 1

It's one of my favorite RUSH albums. I like most of the tracks a lot, with the title track actually being my least favorite. Neil's lyrics are great on so many of the songs, and Geddy's vocals shine throughout. The music is written perfectly for his voice., I think.

Favorite tracks are Scars, Avaliable Light, Chain Lightning, The Pass, War Paint, Red Tide. That's six solid tracks, enough for a vinyl classic.

• Like 2

As I've said before, the problem with Presto and Roll the Bones is my frustration with the songs. You get a good verse followed by a naff chorus. Neurotica for example has a great middle eight but the chorus is terrible. On Presto, Anagram has that nice, catchy chorus but the verses aren't good. The songs tend to sound disjointed at times and the good parts of the songs are annoyingly short. Take Chain Lightning for example, the verse and chorus structure are fine but the change is too abrupt from one to the other,especially in terms of tempo.

As I've said before, the problem with Presto and Roll the Bones is my frustration with the songs. You get a good verse followed by a naff chorus. Neurotica for example has a great middle eight but the chorus is terrible. On Presto, Anagram has that nice, catchy chorus but the verses aren't good. The songs tend to sound disjointed at times and the good parts of the songs are annoyingly short. Take Chain Lightning for example, the verse and chorus structure are fine but the change is too abrupt from one to the other,especially in terms of tempo.

I found this to be the case with lots of RUSH songs where there are great parts that don't always work to my liking which results in a song I find to be just OK.

Presto and The Pass for example... and come to think if it a good chunk of Presto.

That being said I like Presto and loved when it came out and still really enjoy the last 4 songs. As someone else mentioned Alex is playing a bigger role in the sound, the playing is great and Neil is at a real high with the playing and lyrics...most of 'em anyway. I find Anagram to be one of my all time faves lyrically, not for what the song says (what does it say?) but for the words he uses and the anagrams within each verse...that's really unique and interesting.

It still sounds really thin and dated as other threads from the same time periods have pointed out but from the PoW to CP era, I'd rank it close to the top.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan
  • Like 2

I find Anagram to be one of my all time faves lyrically, not for what the song says (what does it say?) but for the words he uses and the anagrams within each verse...that's really unique and interesting.

:cheers: I agree with that!

Red Tide over Presto? Wow. No Show Don't Tell in your top 6? Double Wow:)

Yeah... Show Dont Tell is a good track. Still not much of a fan of the title track.

I tried playing Presto today. Definitely not one of the bands finer moments!

Says the Toto fan.

if I was to say Presto is up there with the best of Toto I think you will understand how much better I think Rush are!

I love Toto, but they are a guilty pleasure. Rush are up there with Miles Davis, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Mozart. Toto are better than the average pop or radio rock band, but they aren't exactly one of the all time greats.

And I don't believe everything Rush released is grade A material. Presto, along with Hold Your Fire, is hardly Rush firing all cylinders!

Edited by Segue Myles

Says the Toto fan.

if I was to say Presto is up there with the best of Toto I think you will understand how much better I think Rush are!

I love Toto, but they are a guilty pleasure. Rush are up there with Miles Davis, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Mozart. Toto are better than the average pop or radio rock band, but they aren't exactly one of the all time greats.

And I don't believe everything Rush released is grade A material. Presto, along with Hold Your Fire, is hardly Rush firing all cylinders!

;)
  • Like 1

Weren't Toto a bunch of top notch studio musicians who decided to form a band and put out formulaic 80s pop songs?

Which doesn't make them that different than Winger (except for the fact that there was only one top notch studio musician and they put out formulaic 80s hair metal songs)....

ETA: I know this is the Rush section of the forum, but we ARE talking about Presto here so a discussion of mediocrity doesn't seem like THAT far of a stretch...

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 3

It's one of my favorite RUSH albums. I like most of the tracks a lot, with the title track actually being my least favorite. Neil's lyrics are great on so many of the songs, and Geddy's vocals shine throughout. The music is written perfectly for his voice., I think.

Favorite tracks are Scars, Avaliable Light, Chain Lightning, The Pass, War Paint, Red Tide. That's six solid tracks, enough for a vinyl classic.

I agree with the song selection. It just sounds so freaking thin.

• Like 1

Weren't Toto a bunch of top notch studio musicians who decided to form a band and put out formulaic 80s pop songs?

Which doesn't make them that different than Winger (except for the fact that there was only one top notch studio musician and they put out formulaic 80s hair metal songs)....

ETA: I know this is the Rush section of the forum, but we ARE talking about Presto here so a discussion of mediocrity doesn't seem like THAT far of a stretch...

Toto did have great musicians, the late great drummer Jeff Porcaro, leading the way. Here's a lesson on the classic Rosanna Shuffle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwFdExvCxM4

Let's go for a full Toto hijack of this thread.

• Like 1

That edit was funny!

• Like 2

Toto's great......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f5dDJNWRQc

one of my fav tunes off the debut album.

Mick

I know!

Iove it!

• Like 1

Wow...I thought I was alone in my love of Toto...

My favourite album is Fahrenheit followed by Tambu.

Both miles better than Presto.

• Like 1

Wow...I thought I was alone in my love of Toto...

My favourite album is Fahrenheit followed by Tambu.

Both miles better than Presto.

lol.....I got Fahrenheit spinning right now. I love the debut, Fahrenheit, Turn Back and Tambu.

Mick

• Like 1

TURN BACK IS AMAZING!

The debut is a beast, and Isolation has one of my all time favourite songs: Endless.

• Like 1

Never be embarrassed by liking any band. Toto is full of class A musicians who can PLAY. Yea Turn back is such a lost gem. Toto also played on Silk Degrees by Boz Scaggs...Another classic. Yes i enjoy Presto. but Rush can't do that kind of album. Cause they really not that kind of band. Toto is perfection in that genre.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Boz Scaggs?

Never heard of him.

Toto members also played on Michael Jackson's Thriller and music by Stevie Nicks

I do love them. Thanks! Shall never feel embarrassed again!

Seggerz

• Like 2