Grace Under Pressure - Then and Now

clem

Several years into my Rushiness, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are just about my favorite Rush albums. Certainly didn't start that way. But the 80's stuff definitely holds up to repeated listening better than, say, the 90's era stuff. Or even the 70's stuff (crazy I know).

70's stuff ? Ouch :o

I'm not the biggest 70's rush fan either. It's good but to me they were just born in the 80's. I believe Neil held the same opinion, lol

Mick

Sorry for any confusion. I was trying to say I love the 70's era and was surprised that you don't. My bad. I also enjoy the early 80's. Beyond that........ :huh:

Several years into my Rushiness, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are just about my favorite Rush albums. Certainly didn't start that way. But the 80's stuff definitely holds up to repeated listening better than, say, the 90's era stuff. Or even the 70's stuff (crazy I know).

uuuuum...I think all the albums from AFTK through to PoW are in the same league...GUP[PY] is climbing its way through my top five as I type...honestly its a masterpiece and its due to this thread that I rediscovered my love for this!

I think I prefer it now to MP...not sure...possibly...very likely...

He is right about the 90's stuff however..... :finbar:

...and the 00's and 10's..

My top 3 Rush albums

Clockwork Angels

Power Windows

Grace Under Pressure

awesome top 3!

But the 80's stuff definitely holds up to repeated listening better than, say, the 90's era stuff.

Ayup, he is.

Somewhere along the line I heard that truly great music holds up to the scrutiny of repeated listening. It seems like a good basis for judgement. Sure, I can listen to Counterparts and go "hey, these production values are nice, great sound quality", but if I tried to listen to that whole record 2 or 3 times in one week, I'd completely hate it. AFTK really gets boring fast, and as much as I like to think that I really dig Presto, it might just be because I don't play it all that often.

I can pop Hemispheres, Signals, P/G, Power Windows, or Permanent Waves in at any time and just love it. I can't listen to Vapor Trails, Test For Echo, or even Clockwork Angels nonstop all week and still be in love with it.

• Like 1

But the 80's stuff definitely holds up to repeated listening better than, say, the 90's era stuff.

Ayup, he is.

Somewhere along the line I heard that truly great music holds up to the scrutiny of repeated listening. It seems like a good basis for judgement. Sure, I can listen to Counterparts and go "hey, these production values are nice, great sound quality", but if I tried to listen to that whole record 2 or 3 times in one week, I'd completely hate it. AFTK really gets boring fast, and as much as I like to think that I really dig Presto, it might just be because I don't play it all that often.

I can pop Hemispheres, Signals, P/G, Power Windows, or Permanent Waves in at any time and just love it. I can't listen to Vapor Trails, Test For Echo, or even Clockwork Angels nonstop all week and still be in love with it.

I agree! But AFTK is better than Hemispheres in my book. Hemispheres is an album I can only listen to once AFTK has warmed me up! And often that means after I have played AFTK about three times!!

One Rush album I can listen to over and over is Roll The Bones. Its just so goood!! One album I play rarely and struggle to get through is MP. I often wonder why, because MP is the album that got me into Rush, and now I find it a chore! Its brilliant though. On the other hand, RTB doesn't appear to be considered vintage Rush, and yet I find it to be a teeny tiny bit of pop perfection.

But the one album I find that truly never gets old is GUP (ok, ok...p/g). Its just incredible! Its still not in my top five, but it plays better on repeat than many of my firmer favourites!

• Like 1

I loved it back then as now...and I honestly thought that most Rush fans loved It!?

Grace Under Pressure is pure gold...

If most fans loved it, it would have sold better.

in retrospect it seems most folks do enjoy it. more folks than enjoy your precious roll the bones

Which sold more than GuP.

I loved it back then as now...and I honestly thought that most Rush fans loved It!?

Did it sell any less than Signals??

Though they are both listed as platinum sellers, I understand that it has sold less. And, obviously, it sold a ton less than MP did.

This cat says P/G outsold Signals by 60,000.

Signals 1982 1,100,000 Studio Grace Under Pressure 1984 1,160,000 Studio

http://bensommer.com...sh-album-sales/

Just shows you how popular new wave was. :dweez:

I seriously doubt this to be the case. We might see for certain once the new RIAA certifications are released.

Crazy as it is the most dated era of the band.

Had "Kid Gloves" on repeat for the drive to work this morning. :dweez:

in retrospect it seems most folks do enjoy it. more folks than enjoy your precious roll the bones

Which sold more than GuP.

who cares what sold more?

I guess Michael Jackson tops all Rush albums.

and Backstreet Boys.

And ABBA.

Good grief, sales mean nothing if you don't like the album! Grace Under Pressure is leagues ahead of Roll The Bones, and I enjoy both!

• Like 2

To me, grace is the best album by rush, I love the dark lyrical content. It was the first new release I picked up when it came out, and I immediately fell in love with the imagery provided by neils wordsmithing. Dont get me wrong, I have everything by them, and the albums up to and including power windows a perfect to me. Sadly they wouldnt get that perfection back until counterparts and more recently CA
  • Like 1

Grace Under Pressure is getting close to being top five for me. Maybe my third favourite Rush album? I can't really fault it.
  • Like 2

I was just listening to this album today for the first time in a while.

Remember the band Flock of Seagulls from the eighties? That is who I think of when I listen to Gup. Oops! Excuse me. G/p. ;)

Get it right... P/g!

Sheesh!!!!

• Like 1

My father and uncle went to the Grace Under Pressure Tour in 1984, they both love Rush but this one is their most nostalgic album; they really enjoyed this record when it came out and still do to this day. I love listening to their stories, they can go on and on telling you about each track. It's so fun to listen to because I'm just discovering Rush now but they have 30 years on me yet we have a lot of the same opinions and interpretations.

Remember the band Flock of Seagulls from the eighties? That is who I think of when I listen to Gup. Oops! Excuse me. G/p. ;)

The album feels much darker and heavier than that type of pop stuff. PoW and HYF seem more appropriate comparisons to me.

Edited by LedRush

Get it right... P/g!

Sheesh!!!!

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: Sorry, Snaked. I better go practice.....

P/g

P/g

P/g

P/g

P/g

P/g

P/g

The album feels much darker and heavier than that type of pop stuff. PoW and HYF seem more appropriate comparisons to me.

I was referring to the synth music sound. When I hear that sound (which I love), that is who comes to my mind, because I liked Flock of Seagulls.

• Like 1

Flock Of Seagulls were ace!

Finally decided to look them up coz of this thread...perfectly good 80's awesomeness!

• Like 1

Segue, if you find a vid of them doing Wishing (not sure if that is the correct title of the song, but I think it is), would you post it here? I haven't heard that since the eighties. I had the album, and I loved that song.
  • Like 1