Well, my TRF brethren, the Christmas season has officially begun! There are lots of celebrations between now and February connected with the season. Here's a thread to recognize them, and to share our celebrations throughout..

Yesterday (Dec. 6) was the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the first day of gift giving in many countries. Put out your shoe, and if you've been good, it's filled with treats, courtesy of Saint Nick and his moorish sidekick, Black Peter! Anyone here on TRF participate in this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Sintenpiet.jpg/220px-Sintenpiet.jpg

• Like 7

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara.

At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.

Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned. The prisons were so full of bishops, priests, and deacons, there was no room for the real criminals—murderers, thieves and robbers. After his release, Nicholas attended the Council of Nicaea in AD 325. He died December 6, AD 343 in Myra and was buried in his cathedral church, where a unique relic, called manna, formed in his grave. This liquid substance, said to have healing powers, fostered the growth of devotion to Nicholas. The anniversary of his death became a day of celebration, St. Nicholas Day, December 6th (December 19 on the Julian Calendar).

• Like 8

One story tells of a poor man with three daughters. In those days a young woman's father had to offer prospective husbands something of value—a dowry. The larger the dowry, the better the chance that a young woman would find a good husband. Without a dowry, a woman was unlikely to marry. This poor man's daughters, without dowries, were therefore destined to be sold into slavery. Mysteriously, on three different occasions, a bag of gold appeared in their home-providing the needed dowries. The bags of gold, tossed through an open window, are said to have landed in stockings or shoes left before the fire to dry. This led to the custom of children hanging stockings or putting out shoes, eagerly awaiting gifts from Saint Nicholas. Sometimes the story is told with gold balls instead of bags of gold. That is why three gold balls, sometimes represented as oranges, are one of the symbols for St. Nicholas. And so St. Nicholas is a gift-giver.
  • Like 3

One of the oldest stories showing St. Nicholas as a protector of children takes place long after his death. The townspeople of Myra were celebrating the good saint on the eve of his feast day when a band of Arab pirates from Crete came into the district. They stole treasures from the Church of Saint Nicholas to take away as booty. As they were leaving town, they snatched a young boy, Basilios, to make into a slave. The emir, or ruler, selected Basilios to be his personal cupbearer, as not knowing the language, Basilios would not understand what the king said to those around him. So, for the next year Basilios waited on the king, bringing his wine in a beautiful golden cup. For Basilios' parents, devastated at the loss of their only child, the year passed slowly, filled with grief. As the next St. Nicholas' feast day approached, Basilios' mother would not join in the festivity, as it was now a day of tragedy. However, she was persuaded to have a simple observance at home—with quiet prayers for Basilios' safekeeping. Meanwhile, as Basilios was fulfilling his tasks serving the emir, he was suddenly whisked up and away. St. Nicholas appeared to the terrified boy, blessed him, and set him down at his home back in Myra. Imagine the joy and wonderment when Basilios amazingly appeared before his parents, still holding the king's golden cup. This is the first story told of St. Nicholas protecting children—which became his primary role in the West.
  • Like 3

My favorite St Nicolas story:

Another story tells of three theological students, traveling on their way to study in Athens. A wicked innkeeper robbed and murdered them, hiding their remains in a large pickling tub. It so happened that Bishop Nicholas, traveling along the same route, stopped at this very inn. In the night he dreamed of the crime, got up, and summoned the innkeeper. As Nicholas prayed earnestly to God the three boys were restored to life and wholeness. In France the story is told of three small children, wandering in their play until lost, lured, and captured by an evil butcher. St. Nicholas appears and appeals to God to return them to life and to their families. And so St. Nicholas is the patron and protector of children.

• Like 4

Goose, thanks for starting this thread. We never "celebrated" the feast of St. Nicholas when I was growing up.

Tomorrow is the Second Sunday of Advent - Regem venturum Dominum, venita, adoremus.

I love the extended celebration of Christmas, and the way it brings people together. Tomorrow (Dec. 8) also the Feast of the Immaculate Conception...the conception of Mary (not Jesus). Around the hispanic world, tonight is the night of candles (Noche de velas), in Mary's honor. Here's what it looks like...plazas filled with candles...

http://www.dogguie.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/noches-velas-pedraza-09.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fsZi_mhUDyg/Tt-43GnnHGI/AAAAAAAAAPI/jE1GKyJuupQ/s1600/4235615_velas500afp_bbc.jpg

http://somoslarevista.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/noche-de-velas.jpg

• Like 3

Goose, that's very beautiful. Do you know why they light all the candles in Her honor for the holy day?

Mary delivered Jesus, the Light, unto the world. The universal symbolism is light over dark, or good over evil. It's no coincidence that these light-related celebrations take place in December, the darkest time of year in the northern hemisphere. It's not only beautiful and emotional, it's primal.
  • Like 3

Goose, that's very beautiful. Do you know why they light all the candles in Her honor for the holy day?

Mary delivered Jesus, the Light, unto the world. The universal symbolism is light over dark, or good over evil. It's no coincidence that these light-related celebrations take place in December, the darkest time of year in the northern hemisphere. It's not only beautiful and emotional, it's primal.

Oh...in Spain it's a national holiday.

That's what I thought. Thank you!

One of my favorites: "...and the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

• Like 1

Oh...in Spain it's a national holiday.

That would make sense having once been a Catholic country.

• Like 1

Semi-related fact: December 6th is the day of the patron saint Nicholas in the orthodox faith.

As I understand it there is no connection with the St Nick we know as Santa Clause and the St Nicholas mentioned above, but still semi-related.

• Like 1

Semi-related fact: December 6th is the day of the patron saint Nicholas in the orthodox faith.

As I understand it there is no connection with the St Nick we know as Santa Clause and the St Nicholas mentioned above, but still semi-related.

Same guy, according to everything I've ever studied.

Merry Christmas and God Bless all of you!
  • Like 4

My mistake. I wasn't too sure. It's been a while since I've read anything related to religion -- aside from the church schedule.

My mistake. I wasn't too sure. It's been a while since I've read anything related to religion -- aside from the church schedule.

:D

Well, next up is Las Posadas, Spanish for "The Posadas". :P But seriously, "posada" means inn, or lodging. Beginning on the 16th, there are nine nights of celebration leading up to Christmas Eve, in recognition of Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem. Participants travel through the town streets, singing traditional songs, and stopping at homes and businesses along the way. At each stop, Mary and Joseph are told "No posada", or "No lodging". the journey continues until, at the final stop...a feast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gZ0hAFIGA

The traditional Posadas song is an exchange between the traveling Joseph and Mary and the homeowner

En el nombre del cielo In the name of Heaven

os pido posada I ask of you shelter,

pues no puede andar For my beloved wife

mi esposa amada. Can go no farther. (loosely translated)

Aquí no es mesón, There’s no inn here,

sigan adelante Go on with you,

Yo no debo abrir, I can’t open up

no sea algún tunante. You might be a rogue.

Venimos rendidos We’re weary from traveling

desde Nazaret. from Nazareth.

Yo soy carpintero I am a carpenter

de nombre José. by the name of Joseph.

No me importa el nombre, I don’t care who you are,

déjenme dormir, Let me sleep.

pues que yo les digo I already told you

que nos hemos de abrir. we’re not going to open.

Posada te pide, She asks you for lodging

amado casero, dear man of the house.

por sólo una noche Just for one night

la Reina del Cielo. Queen of Heaven.

http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/las-posadas.jpg

Edited by goose

Odd fact from the Far East:

Many Japanese celebrate by having (what they believe is) a traditional American Christmas dinner: a bucket of KFC! KFC's around the country take pre-orders a few weeks in advance. Then, you go back to that KFC on your specified day (generally, sometime between the 23rd-27th) at your specified time [it's all anally noted in typical Japanese fashion on your receipt]. Also, families generally have Christmas cake because many believe having Christmas cake is traditional American fare. That too can be ordered from KFC. Rest assured, the Colonel is donning his Santa clothing and standing vigilant outside the KFC establishment.

I believe this madness started as a KFC campaign to increase sales decades ago. Well, it worked! And it stuck! And they duped an entire nation!

f**k, I don't even really like KFC. :blaze:

;)

I'm totally serious about this though. You should see the locals' faces when I tell them the non-reality of eating KFC in the states on Christmas Day. I don't enjoy crushing their longstanding ideas and images but man, that's what it's got to be sometimes.

• Like 2