http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsXK89jVdyk

It's a tradition in my city every Christmas. It gets lit up on Thanksgiving night every year. Huell Howser did an episode of this once on his PBS show, California's Gold.

:ebert:

All the more uplifting in COVID-y times.

Huell was quite uplifting as well. Miss him.

• Like 1

It's also ski season. The Tahoe resorts are open, with reservations required. The wife and I went out Tuesday and it was quite nice...sunny and (relatively) warm.

:)

• Like 3

Odd fact from the Far East:

Many Japanese celebrate by having (what they believe is) a traditional American Christmas dinner: a bucket of KFC! KFC's around the country take pre-orders a few weeks in advance. Then, you go back to that KFC on your specified day (generally, sometime between the 23rd-27th) at your specified time [it's all anally noted in typical Japanese fashion on your receipt]. Also, families generally have Christmas cake because many believe having Christmas cake is traditional American fare. That too can be ordered from KFC. Rest assured, the Colonel is donning his Santa clothing and standing vigilant outside the KFC establishment.

I believe this madness started as a KFC campaign to increase sales decades ago. Well, it worked! And it stuck! And they duped an entire nation!

f**k, I don't even really like KFC. :blaze:

;)

I'm totally serious about this though. You should see the locals' faces when I tell them the non-reality of eating KFC in the states on Christmas Day. I don't enjoy crushing their longstanding ideas and images but man, that's what it's got to be sometimes.

I grew up on KFC. My Mom and Dad LOVED that stuff. Only usually on Sunday after Church. NOT ON ANY HOLIDAYS though....and my Mom's Sanders side of the family IS related to the Colonel that started the whole KFC thing.

Many Japanese celebrate by having (what they believe is) a traditional American Christmas dinner: a bucket of KFC! KFC's around the country take pre-orders a few weeks in advance. Then, you go back to that KFC on your specified day (generally, sometime between the 23rd-27th) at your specified time [it's all anally noted in typical Japanese fashion on your receipt]. Also, families generally have Christmas cake because many believe having Christmas cake is traditional American fare. That too can be ordered from KFC. Rest assured, the Colonel is donning his Santa clothing and standing vigilant outside the KFC establishment.

I believe this madness started as a KFC campaign to increase sales decades ago. Well, it worked! And it stuck! And they duped an entire nation!

;)

I'm totally serious about this though. You should see the locals' faces when I tell them the non-reality of eating KFC in the states on Christmas Day. I don't enjoy crushing their longstanding ideas and images but man, that's what it's got to be sometimes.

I actually prefer KFC to turkey, though. :ph34r:

Not that I don't like turkey, but given the choice? Pass me an extra-crispy thigh, please.

;)

I actually prefer KFC to turkey, though. :ph34r:

Not that I don't like turkey, but given the choice? Pass me an extra-crispy thigh, please.

Would this change your mind? ---> KFC is double the price (or close to it) that it is stateside.

How much is a turkey? Or a ham? I know beef prices are insane there.

ANd what kind of cake do they think Americans consider to be traditional at Christmas? I get a Buche de Noel, but if it's some weird combo of green tea flavored cake (which might be good) with fish and mayonnaise frosting (not good at all), then I stand with Janie - they must be firmly steered in the correct direction.

I bet it's Fruit Cake. Johnny, convince them Fruit Cake is considered a true delicacy.

I get a piece of fruit cake made by a company in Wisconsin that is sold locally. It's VERY good, too. I never had a 'BAD' piece of fruit cake. I was a pretty picky kid when it came to food, too. I NEVER got 'the thing' about everybody HATING FRUIT CAKE. I don't. :D

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/bananas%20toasting%20beer.gif

Especially if it's "loaded", like the ones from the Jampot!

http://poorrockabbe...ory/fruitcakes/

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

It's also ski season. The Tahoe resorts are open, with reservations required. The wife and I went out Tuesday and it was quite nice...sunny and (relatively) warm.

Don't know if we'll be skiing this season. Usually skip over to Austria - think that's going to be out. There are a few slopes open local tho.

Edited by condemned2bfree

Don't know if we'll be skiing this season. Usually skip over to Austria - think that's going to be out. There are a few slopes open local tho.

I went yesterday, this time to Heavenly. Being a Sunday and snow conditions being better due to a storm that dropped 15"+ recently, it was busier than our Northstar visit. It was sunny and warm, which made the skiing very pleasant.
  • Like 1

I went yesterday, this time to Heavenly. Being a Sunday and snow conditions being better due to a storm that dropped 15"+ recently, it was busier than our Northstar visit. It was sunny and warm, which made the skiing very pleasant.

Another beautiful ski day today. The views of Tahoe were breathtaking and never get old.
  • Like 1

Bumping this topic up, listened to Christmas music today as I hurriedly addressed cards. I am a procrastinator and I know some will be late but it helped me feel good and to think about happy things for a change.

Merry Christmas will soon be here. Lovely Christmas lights outside with the snow sparkling in the moonlight :wub:

• Like 7

We've been celebrating since Dec. 6 (St. Nicolas Day). Opened one gift each last night, and will do another tonight with the rest on Christmas Eve. Dec. 25 we'll ski, as is tradition. The weather is cooperating, with huge dumps in the Sierras and valley sleet now turning to big dollar-size snowflakes. Looks like we'll have a white Christmas!

Best wishes to all and to your families!

I19d.gif

• Like 5

Thank you, Goose (Allen), and Turbine. For this year's Christmas, it'll be me, and my parents. Everyone let's have a stay, and keep safe "Merry Christmas 2021", and positive, and healthy holidays. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

Spending quiet morning at my friends house. Brandy, their rescued Australian Cattle Dog, hasn't quite figured out if I'm a good guy bearing treats,or an intruder.
  • Like 3

Happy Holidays you all on TRF! I'm celebrating Christmas with my parents and their cat in where we're from. It was wonderful to travel home. We have snow and some -17 °C outside.
  • Like 3

Went to folks' house in Spokane. Hoping it's not the last Christmas with both of them but certainly possible considering their ages, 89 & 88. One of my nieces and her kids and bf stopped by last night too. Great seeing them. Unfortunately the other niece has a boy that came down with the virus so they were unable to join us.

A very merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all!

• Like 2