Odd fact from the Far East:

Many Japanese celebrate by having (what they believe is) a traditional American Christmas dinner: a bucket of KFC! KFC's around the country take pre-orders a few weeks in advance. Then, you go back to that KFC on your specified day (generally, sometime between the 23rd-27th) at your specified time [it's all anally noted in typical Japanese fashion on your receipt]. Also, families generally have Christmas cake because many believe having Christmas cake is traditional American fare. That too can be ordered from KFC. Rest assured, the Colonel is donning his Santa clothing and standing vigilant outside the KFC establishment.

I believe this madness started as a KFC campaign to increase sales decades ago. Well, it worked! And it stuck! And they duped an entire nation!

f**k, I don't even really like KFC. :blaze:

;)

I'm totally serious about this though. You should see the locals' faces when I tell them the non-reality of eating KFC in the states on Christmas Day. I don't enjoy crushing their longstanding ideas and images but man, that's what it's got to be sometimes.

:goodone: Hilarious!
  • Like 1

Many Japanese celebrate by having (what they believe is) a traditional American Christmas dinner: a bucket of KFC! KFC's around the country take pre-orders a few weeks in advance. Then, you go back to that KFC on your specified day (generally, sometime between the 23rd-27th) at your specified time [it's all anally noted in typical Japanese fashion on your receipt]. Also, families generally have Christmas cake because many believe having Christmas cake is traditional American fare. That too can be ordered from KFC. Rest assured, the Colonel is donning his Santa clothing and standing vigilant outside the KFC establishment.

I believe this madness started as a KFC campaign to increase sales decades ago. Well, it worked! And it stuck! And they duped an entire nation!

;)

I'm totally serious about this though. You should see the locals' faces when I tell them the non-reality of eating KFC in the states on Christmas Day. I don't enjoy crushing their longstanding ideas and images but man, that's what it's got to be sometimes.

:goodone: Hilarious!

Oh, and I got one part wrong: it's not a bucket of chicken. It's a rectangle box of chicken! Crazy bastards can't even get the correct container shape to put the greasy pieces of bird in! This ain't Christmas! This is Bizarro World! :blaze:

Additionally, 'Ronald McDonald' isn't 'Ronald'. He's known as 'Donald McDonald' because of the difficulty Japanese have with pronouncing the letter 'R'. But that's not actually a Christmas thang. They screw that up all year round. ;)

P.S. If you're planning a trip to Japan and your name is 'Rory', you might wanna consider changing it to something easy like 'Tom' or 'Ichiro'.

• Like 2

;)

I actually prefer KFC to turkey, though. :ph34r:

Not that I don't like turkey, but given the choice? Pass me an extra-crispy thigh, please.

• Like 2

;)

:facepalm: Crush their spirits JB. This wrong needs to be corrected. We're counting on you!
  • Like 1

;)

Not that I don't like turkey, but given the choice? Pass me an extra-crispy thigh, please.

Would this change your mind? ---> KFC is double the price (or close to it) that it is stateside.

;)

:facepalm: Crush their spirits JB. This wrong needs to be corrected. We're counting on you!

Funny lady! With each spirit I crush I will let them that know you sent me.

The Ghost of Christmas Chicken Crushing Death I will be :blaze:

• Like 3

;)

Would this change your mind? ---> KFC is double the price (or close to it) that it is stateside.

How much is a turkey? Or a ham? I know beef prices are insane there.

ANd what kind of cake do they think Americans consider to be traditional at Christmas? I get a Buche de Noel, but if it's some weird combo of green tea flavored cake (which might be good) with fish and mayonnaise frosting (not good at all), then I stand with Janie - they must be firmly steered in the correct direction.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

;)

ANd what kind of cake do they think Americans consider to be traditional at Christmas? I get a Buche de Noel, but if it's some weird combo of green tea flavored cake (which might be good) with fish and mayonnaise frosting (not good at all), then I stand with Janie - they must be firmly steered in the correct direction.

I bet it's Fruit Cake. Johnny, convince them Fruit Cake is considered a true delicacy.
  • Like 1

;)

I bet it's Fruit Cake. Johnny, convince them Fruit Cake is considered a true delicacy.

Full on 20 pound turkeys or any size for that aren't sold in supermarkets. Same goes for ham. You have to special order that through an import shop which I don't do since I know the price will be rape and a half.

As for cakes...they're the one thing that's almost never screwed up. They're generally the same as in the states except maybe not as sweet. Fruitcake is rarely, if ever, eaten. Oh, and there are a helluva lot of cake shops out here. I had never seen so many honestly

• Like 1

;)

Full on 20 pound turkeys or any size for that aren't sold in supermarkets. Same goes for ham. You have to special order that through an import shop which I don't do since I know the price will be rape and a half.

As for cakes...they're the one thing that's almost never screwed up. They're generally the same as in the states except maybe not as sweet. Fruitcake is rarely, if ever, eaten. Oh, and there are a helluva lot of cake shops out here. I had never seen so many honestly

I was shoveling snow today and Santa flew by but stopped to admire my Rush AC hat. He grabbed a shovel and helped out. What'a guy !!!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_5129_zpscba85723.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara.

At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.

Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned. The prisons were so full of bishops, priests, and deacons, there was no room for the real criminals—murderers, thieves and robbers. After his release, Nicholas attended the Council of Nicaea in AD 325. He died December 6, AD 343 in Myra and was buried in his cathedral church, where a unique relic, called manna, formed in his grave. This liquid substance, said to have healing powers, fostered the growth of devotion to Nicholas. The anniversary of his death became a day of celebration, St. Nicholas Day, December 6th (December 19 on the Julian Calendar).

Very informative. One thing though, I think the Julien calendar is just the sequence number that a day falls in the year so Dec 6 would be like around 341 or something..

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara.

At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.

Under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, who ruthlessly persecuted Christians, Bishop Nicholas suffered for his faith, was exiled and imprisoned. The prisons were so full of bishops, priests, and deacons, there was no room for the real criminals—murderers, thieves and robbers. After his release, Nicholas attended the Council of Nicaea in AD 325. He died December 6, AD 343 in Myra and was buried in his cathedral church, where a unique relic, called manna, formed in his grave. This liquid substance, said to have healing powers, fostered the growth of devotion to Nicholas. The anniversary of his death became a day of celebration, St. Nicholas Day, December 6th (December 19 on the Julian Calendar).

Very informative. One thing though, I think the Julien calendar is just the sequence number that a day falls in the year so Dec 6 would be like around 341 or something..

I think that is referencing the idea that the traditional Julian calendar is now 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar because of its relative inaccuracy.

13 Days Behind Today

Currently (1901–2099), the Julian calendar is 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar.

Today's Gregorian calendar uses more accurate leap year formula, making it far more accurate than the Julian.

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/julian-gregorian-switch.html

;)

I grew up on KFC. My Mom and Dad LOVED that stuff. Only usually on Sunday after Church. NOT ON ANY HOLIDAYS though....and my Mom's Sanders side of the family IS related to the Colonel that started the whole KFC thing.

;)

;)

I get a piece of fruit cake made by a company in Wisconsin that is sold locally. It's VERY good, too. I never had a 'BAD' piece of fruit cake. I was a pretty picky kid when it came to food, too. I NEVER got 'the thing' about everybody HATING FRUIT CAKE. I don't. :D

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/bananas%20toasting%20beer.gif

• Like 1

Happy 6th day of Advent, everyone! I love the holiday season, and stretch it out as much as I can with the fam. December 6th is St. Nicolas Day, so I'm excited for that!!! Our kids will all put their shoes out in hopes of getting something Sunday morning...

Celebrating-Saint-Nicks-Day.jpg

• Like 4

Happy 6th day of Advent, everyone! I love the holiday season, and stretch it out as much as I can with the fam. December 6th is St. Nicolas Day, so I'm excited for that!!! Our kids will all put their shoes out in hopes of getting something Sunday morning...

Celebrating-Saint-Nicks-Day.jpg

I'll put my shoes out too. Maybe Saint Nicholas will take pity on me.

• Like 1