Lucky Me, I Have The DVD!!!

greyfriar

How's the sound? I listened to it on Pandora Premieres, and the audio quality wasn't as good as I was hoping. I'm seeing it theators tomorrow, but I just wanted to know if it was Pandora, or just sub-par sound quality. I really want a nice good sound Rush album again! :syrinx:

-Daniel

That is such a relief! Which is the best of that lot?

I'd go for Replay 3X box set, Snakes And Arrows, R30, Time Machine Tour in that order. Replay 3X includes Exit Stage Left, A Show Of Hands and Grace Under Pressure DVD's along with Grace Under Pressure Live CD.

That is such a relief! Which is the best of that lot?

I'd go for Replay 3X box set, Snakes And Arrows, R30, Time Machine Tour in that order. Replay 3X includes Exit Stage Left, A Show Of Hands and Grace Under Pressure DVD's along with Grace Under Pressure Live CD.

I'd put R30 second. I consider GUP, ESL, and R30 to be the must-own videos.

I will hunt that down when I have absorbed the box set!

Have you absorbed All The World's A Stage yet? :huh:

Arg....I keep forgetting about this one!

I thought the Clockwork Angels DVD sounded pretty good on first listening. Wasn't all that thrilled with the directorial/editing choices on the first viewing.

Same here. I'm not too thrilled about the great amount of - imho - distracting close-up shots of the audience. There's also wobbly camera work from the camera guys who were in the crowd. Some parts shot from the audience even look like youtube vids, for example lots of heads obstructing the view :(

But leaving this aside the dvd is a great souvenir from a fantastic tour :) The bonus stuff is very cool :)

I thought the Clockwork Angels DVD sounded pretty good on first listening. Wasn't all that thrilled with the directorial/editing choices on the first viewing.

Same here. I'm not too thrilled about the great amount of - imho - distracting close-up shots of the audience. There's also wobbly camera work from the camera guys who were in the crowd. Some parts shot from the audience even look like youtube vids, for example lots of heads obstructing the view :(

But leaving this aside the dvd is a great souvenir from a fantastic tour :) The bonus stuff is very cool :)

Reminds me of Celebration Day where Led Zeppelin actually used footage from youtube

The DVD isn't perfect in terms of editing and the camera work but it's a great unique document of a fine tour with an awesome setlist. Most important the thing rocks and knocks the socks off. :rush:
  • Like 2

The DVD isn't perfect in terms of editing and the camera work but it's a great unique document of a fine tour with an awesome setlist. Most important the thing rocks and knocks the socks off. :rush:

Yes, leaving the technical stuff aside you're right and I'm really glad I've got this dvd, let there be no misunderstanding about that ;) :) :7up:

• Like 2

If you could see me now my hair is blown back by the awesome experience I just had. My blu ray came a day early (YES!) and I settled in on the couch and cranked the volume up to concert levels and went for it. It starts out well enough and then they kick it up a notch when the jam starts in Force Ten. Holy cow. The string of 80s songs that follow are performed so well and I think they show just how right their choices were on this tour. You can hate the setlist, but the playing is outstanding. Geddy is on point with his playing like I have rarely seen before in their video releases. Voice wise he is the 60ish Geddy, but in better voice than several of the recent releases. His singing on this beats Time Machine easily. Neil is his usual rock solid self. He can often be seen grinning or goofing off in some of the other concert films, but this time he seems more at peace with the whole thing and just enjoying the experience. Guys like that just need to quit thinking so much all the time. One of these days other guitar gods are going to have to acknowledge Alex. He has always been one of my favorites, but now that he and Neil have both loosened a bit with age and groove a little more I think they have moved to another level. I think that is what comes across so well... the whole band is a well oiled machine that is relaxed into the songs and playing like masters. The Clockwork Angels songs are amazing because even though I saw several shows on this tour and heard way too many boots I never heard the strings as good as they are here. I'll have to watch it again to give it a real critique. Right now I'm really happy, happy, happy with it and I haven't even watched the extras yet. I'll drive my wife crazy with those tonight.
  • Like 6

If you could see me now my hair is blown back by the awesome experience I just had. My blu ray came a day early (YES!) and I settled in on the couch and cranked the volume up to concert levels and went for it. It starts out well enough and then they kick it up a notch when the jam starts in Force Ten. Holy cow. The string of 80s songs that follow are performed so well and I think they show just how right their choices were on this tour. You can hate the setlist, but the playing is outstanding. Geddy is on point with his playing like I have rarely seen before in their video releases. Voice wise he is the 60ish Geddy, but in better voice than several of the recent releases. His singing on this beats Time Machine easily. Neil is his usual rock solid self. He can often be seen grinning or goofing off in some of the other concert films, but this time he seems more at peace with the whole thing and just enjoying the experience. Guys like that just need to quit thinking so much all the time. One of these days other guitar gods are going to have to acknowledge Alex. He has always been one of my favorites, but now that he and Neil have both loosened a bit with age and groove a little more I think they have moved to another level. I think that is what comes across so well... the whole band is a well oiled machine that is relaxed into the songs and playing like masters. The Clockwork Angels songs are amazing because even though I saw several shows on this tour and heard way too many boots I never heard the strings as good as they are here. I'll have to watch it again to give it a real critique. Right now I'm really happy, happy, happy with it and I haven't even watched the extras yet. I'll drive my wife crazy with those tonight.

Glad you got it early, too. It's party time in Nashville. I'm also watching at the moment. :cheers:

I enjoyed that write up. :cheers: My copy is in transit :yay: I took a half day off tomorrow. My wife likes Rush, but is worried she may have to hole up in my man cave :LOL: There's no escaping volume though! :fury: :hail: :rush:

• Like 2

The 5.1 sound of Clockwork Angels Tour DVD/Blu-ray

Don't work so good here in my system or ears. Buried drums, bass guitar totally isolated in the subwoofer and Geddy's voice isolated on center channel. This time the 5.1 mix was done by Mike Fraser (Box Replay X3) and the mastering by Adam Ayan (Rush in Rio). I prefer the sound of the others Blu-rays (Richard Chicky and Andy VanDette)

No problem with the 2.0 mix, but the 5.1 bother me. Works goods on your systems/ears?

Don't work so good here in my system or ears. Buried drums, bass guitar totally isolated in the subwoofer and Geddy's voice isolated on center channel. This time the 5.1 mix was done by Mike Fraser (Box Replay X3) and the mastering by Adam Ayan (Rush in Rio). I prefer the sound of the others Blu-rays (Richard Chicky and Andy VanDette)

No problem with the 2.0 mix, but the 5.1 bother me. Works goods on your systems/ears?

The 2.0 sound is fantastic, especially under the Sennheisers. Can't say anything about the 5.1 mix cause I didn't have a surround system. Others having the same problems as bruno?

The 2.0 sound is fantastic, especially under the Sennheisers. Can't say anything about the 5.1 mix cause I didn't have a surround system. Others having the same problems as bruno?

I have to agree that the 2.0 mix is better. I was comparing the two mixes last night and the 5.1 is a little too gimicky for me (hey, look what I can do kind of stuff). There is nothing wrong with a good stereo mix and honestly you can hear all the atmospheric bits of Clockwork Angels much better in the 2.0 mix.

The Clockwork Angels songs in general are a real highlight. I noticed last night that they are all of Disc 2 on the CD version. I hope that gets here today. I may have that one in the car for the foreseeable future. This morning I started the disc at Caravan while I went about my waking routine and I know its new, but I may prefer the live versions for quite a while.

• Like 1

Just returned home to find the DVD on my doormat

oh happy day!

Enjoy! The concert is so great you'll love it. :cheers:

• Like 1

You all suck—effin Amazon

Anticipation is best joy. ;)

Do you have the confirmation mail that it's on the way?

picked up the Blu-ray this morning at Best Buy along with an exclusive "Blah blah blah" shirt - have to wait to open it at home!

I saw the second set on the big screen last night and clearly the energy of this show is off the chart! However, I am hoping (and expect) that the sound quality will be better on my home system. The cinema sound never seems right to me for concert films - last night the bass was practically absent in the theater (I thought the same thing after the Zeppelin theater viewing.)

Looking forward to cranking this up tonight!

picked up the Blu-ray this morning at Best Buy along with an exclusive "Blah blah blah" shirt - have to wait to open it at home!

I saw the second set on the big screen last night and clearly the energy of this show is off the chart! However, I am hoping (and expect) that the sound quality will be better on my home system. The cinema sound never seems right to me for concert films - last night the bass was practically absent in the theater (I thought the same thing after the Zeppelin theater viewing.)

Looking forward to cranking this up tonight!

No worries, the 2.0 sound of the BluRay is stunning. Enjoy. :cheers:

I personally find the 2.0 bluray mix to be terrible. The guitar is very present, the drums are buried deep in the mix (barely audible). It's one of the worst mixes I've heard in a Rush concert release film. I find Time Machine and Snakes and Arrows absolutely destroy this one.

Sucks.