The Honor a Veteran You Know Thread

goose

My dad flew B-29's in the Korean conflict. He's dead now and didn't want me to say anything about it but I can't resist. (LONG STORY!!!!!!) This one goes out to YOU dad!! I loved the stories you told me and I'll pass them along to my Son who I named after YOU, RIP dad!!!! I'll always miss you!!!! I watched you take your last breath.....

Great post. Sounds like your dad was a great father and a good soldier. http://www.motherjones.com/files/images/marines-three-volley-salute.jpg

Thank you goose! Dad was very quiet about his missions. He didn't want people to know about what he was ordered to do. That's where the he didn't want me to say anything about it part comes in. What pilot wants to talk about killing people that is not face to face, kinda thing... I guess? Even though he's dead now, I had to say (at least) something about it. He dropped many bombs and killed many people although he was ORDERED to do it! WAR IS HELL!!!! (he used to tell me) I fly planes myself with my kids for pleasure. I fly a modified Cessna 172 with an instructor who owns the plane.... whatever....thanks dude!

I feel for your dad, man. Even given that he was serving his country, knowing the outcomes of his missions must have weighed heavy on him. Awesome that you continue the flying tradition! :cheers:

Thanks for starting this thread, Brother Goose, and for everyone who's contributed! Salute! I wish to honor my Dad, US Air Force, 1959-1963. His Dad, My Dear grandfather, who served with the US Marines at Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima! My Mom's Dad, who served with the US Air Force, including a tour in Korea (I still have his Korea Service Medal) and retired as a Chief Master Sergeant. My Uncle Jodie, who was killed in action in Viet Nam. My Dear Brother who embarked on a career in the US Coast Guard in 1990 and still serves today and is currently stationed at Coast Guard Headquarters as a Chief Warrant Officer and is in charge of Coast Guard Law Enforcement policy servicewide! My Dear Father In Law (my second dad, really, see, he always wanted a son but had only daughters. so I did my best to be a son to him and we really got along incredibly well and had so much in common.) A Retired US Army Sergeant Major, Special Forces Operator with two tours in Viet Nam, a Founding Member of Delta Force(!), a Sniper Instructor, and Co-Founder of the US Army's SERE (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion) School with Colonel Nick Rowe, a former POW in Viet Nam who actually escaped captivity! My Dearest and oldest friend, Bill Herrmann, who served with distinction as a "Tunnel Rat" in Viet Nam, and my other Dear Friend Gerard "Jerry" Ziegler, a retired Army Sergeant Major. Brother Warriors, All! SALUTE!

Man, what a legacy. Quite a circle of friends you have, as well. A very humble hats off to all of them, and thanks to you, for the great post.

• Like 2

Thanks to my dad who served in the Air Force during the Korean War.

Thanks to Tombstone Mountain who served in the Army.

Thanks to my friends James, Josh, and Johan who were in the Navy and went to the Persian Gulf.

And thank you especially to those who didn't make it back home.

• Like 4

Great thread!

Actually while in Florida. We were at the store buying some food. I walked out and saw a guy there that looked like a co-worker. I introduced my self and told him who he looked like. His name was Jerry. He had this really old war vest he was wearing. He told me about his experience in Vietnam. It was interesting but really sad at the same time. He was the only one who survived in his small group of soldiers. I gave him some cash and we parted ways.

• Like 2

Posted this in SOCN already, but here it is again. Taken in 2006 at my dad's retirement ceremony, after 21 years of service in the Navy.

Thanks, Chief.

12234865_1095344157142950_5869752123846045636_n.jpg?oh=df4e378163388f98c816ce4657bdad79&oe=56F244E0

That kid on the left looks like his ears may be messed up versions of Nic Cage's messed up ears, resulting in bad Rush albums sounding like good ones. But still, gotta give mad props to his papa.

Thank you to my great uncle Albert, who was a fighter pilot and was shot down out of the sky in Italy, in 1943. He paid the ultimate price.

My dad was born in 1945, and his middle name is Albert. I never knew about his uncle, or about the fact that my father carried his uncle's name, until about two years ago.

Thanks to everyone else as well, who have given more of themselves to preserve the cause of freedom than I ever have.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 4