What songs are modern day Rush classics?

Czarcasm

After listening more and more to Rush's Atlantic catalogue, a few songs stand out for me such as Dreamline, Earthshine One Little Victory, Animate, Leave That Thing Alone, Far cry, Workin Them Angels, MMB plus more.

What songs from '89 to '07 would you consider classics up there with the rest of the Rush canon?

• Like 1

The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum): I think this song has some incredible lyrics that just sum up human nature in general

Out of the Cradle: Another song with some incredible lyrics and I love how the song builds up in the beginning.

Bravest Face: Again, great lyrics about how everyone has a different side to them and I love the instrumentals and the lyrics during the verse. "In the sweetest child there's a vicious streak/In the strongest men there is a child so weak..."

Presto: I don't love this track (or the album for that matter) but it's still a fairly enjoyable track.

Animate , Dreamline, LTTA, The Pass, Limbo, Test For Echo, Resist...(if these are "modern"). Peacable Kingdom, Out Of The Cradle, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Faithless, Working Them Angels, Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Here Again and The Garden. Please don't ask me tomorrow. :smoke: :outtahere:
  • Like 1

Animate , Dreamline, LTTA, The Pass, Limbo, Test For Echo, Resist...(if these are "modern"). Peacable Kingdom, Out Of The Cradle, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Faithless, Working Them Angels, Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Here Again and The Garden. Please don't ask me tomorrow. :smoke: :outtahere:

What about Seven Cities of Gold? That song is a facemelter

g.

What about Seven Cities of Gold? That song is a facemelter

g.

F*********k you're right my list is totally incomplete. As I said, don't ask me tomorrow. 7COG is absolutely a future classic, just like the whole CA album in entirety is for itself.

Yeah mgsjesse nice to see someone give a little love to bravest face one of my all time favs doesnt get too much acclaim defo a modern rush classic for me brilliant rush at very best.

What songs from '89 to '07 would you consider classics up there with the rest of the Rush canon?

Since modern classic is an oxymoron, consider this a list of best Atlantic era songs:

The Pass

Dreamline

Bravado

Animate

Driven

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Far Cry

Excellent songs, but none are on par with what are widely considered Rush classics.

Chronologically,

Presto, The Pass, Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Test for Echo, Driven, The Color of Right, Resist (live version), Ghost Rider, Ceiling Unlimited, Secret Tough, Far Cry, Mal Nar, Main Monkey Business, Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight, and The Garden.

The Pass, Available Light, Animate, Leave That Thing Alone, Cold Fire, The Color of Right, Driven, Earthshine, Workin' Them Angels, Armor and Sword.

This explains even more about your "this or that song is worse" votes. Cold Fire? Earthshine? Working them Angels? Armor and Sword? Ouch.

The Pass, Available Light, Animate, Leave That Thing Alone, Cold Fire, The Color of Right, Driven, Earthshine, Workin' Them Angels, Armor and Sword.

This explains even more about your "this or that song is worse" votes. Cold Fire? Earthshine? Working them Angels? Armor and Sword? Ouch.

I think most people would take issue with The Color of Right before those. But it appears you and I agree on that one, ha.

I like most of the songs on your list, but not Resist, and I'm not crazy about some of those album openers. I would've included some CA songs on mine too, but the guy who made the original post asked for tunes from the '89 to '07 period.

Too Many to name for me, I actually might like the 90s better than the 70s for Rush (but just by a bit). To pick two standout tracks from each album though, that would be The Pass, Superconductor (yeah I am going to get some flack for that one), Dreamline, Where's My Thing, Between the Sun and Moon, Cold Fire, Test For Echo, Virtuality, Vapor Trail, Nocturne, The Larger Bowl, Malignant Narcissism.

Glad to see some Limbo love for once. I've always loved that song and it goes in all of my latter day Rush playlists, Secret Touch is incredible also. :smoke:
  • Like 1

I think most people would take issue with The Color of Right before those. But it appears you and I agree on that one, ha.

I like most of the songs on your list, but not Resist, and I'm not crazy about some of those album openers. I would've included some CA songs on mine too, but the guy who made the original post asked for tunes from the '89 to '07 period.

I was only including up until 2007 because that's the last album released on the Atlantic label. CA feels different to me next to the rest of their latter day work as well.

The Pass, Presto, Available Light

Bravado, Where's My Thing?, Ghost Of A Chance

Stick It Out, Cut To The Chase, Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone

Driven, Resist

Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, Earthshine

Far Cry, The Larger Bowl, The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism

Caravan, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, The Garden

:ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

• Like 1

CA feels different to me next to the rest of their latter day work as well.

CA feels different because it has more balls and musical substance than any other work they've done. It's metal, and it kicks so much ass.
  • Like 1

Show Don't Tell, The Pass

Dreamline, Bravado, Where's My Thing?, Ghost of A Chance

Animate, Stick It Out, Cut To The Chase, LTTA

Driven, Limbo

One Little Victory, Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider, Peaceable Kingdom, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, Earthshine, and Sweet Miracle (Now that the remix brought it new life)

Far Cry, Armor and Sword, Workin' Them Angels, Main Monkey Business, Larger Bowl, Mal Nar

Caravan, BU2B, The Anarchist, Carnies, Seven Cities, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, The Garden

Pretty extensive list if you ask me, maybe too extensive :)