What One Single Thing about the Old Shows do you Like the Most?

Wingmaster

Thankfully the bootlegs helped me appreciate the mid-late 70's and VERY early 80's shows....my parents "didn't know" the people that were going to take me to the Permanent Waves show in Hershey (1980) so I wasn't PERMITTED to go (only 16, no leverage) But those earlier shows were pristine in my mind because they played more of the music I loved! (and still love)

You know what I *don't* miss? How difficult it was to find out about upcoming shows. As a teenager in the early 80s I only saw Rush once because that was the only time I heard about them coming to my area (never mind shows in other cities—I never would have been able to get info on them). It wasn't until recently that I discovered I missed several shows/tours because I never saw they were happening :(

A thousand times this. Most of my life has been lived in very backwater areas that were around 200 miles from the nearest place big enough for shows to go to and so I never heard of most shows coming within 200 miles of me at all. Thanks to the internet, I have been making up for this lack of shows in my youth ever since, although my wife wishes I would slow down already :D

• Like 1

In no particular order....

Neil & Alex's Long Hair

Neil's Moustache

The Robes

The Rickenbaker

The Setlists

The Medley's

Smoking in the venue

Lighters instead of cell phones

Ged's high register voice

The Double Necks

Taurus pedals

All the exotic things Neil would hit to make sounds

The Clown on Geds amps.

Ged's amps (washing machines and chicken roasters are funny but...)

The light show (Still great but they were so far ahead of other bands back then)

Not being able to see across the arena because of the weed smoke

The fact that there was no one over 30 in the building

Fantastic openers (Max Webster, FM, UFO, etc...)

Marching out of the arena with 20,000 other teenagers that were in awe

New Years Eve (If you're from Toronto, you'll know what I mean)

$6 ticket prices

Tour books and T-shirts I could afford

And last but not least....

The Rush (they weren't just named that cause it sounded cool!)

Edited by andreww
  • Like 1

Every song they played was great, every damn one. Ged's voice could handle it all. Lately he's had to change melody lines or avoid songs entirely and I just can't get into the last several albums. I've tried but I can't.

Best thing for me back in the day was that you've had no information about the setlist at all. Every show was a big surprise.
:notworthy:

Agree fully. It is indeed tough to avoid it these days and it can detract from things, although at least now I know the best time to pee. :cool:

I agree as well, but somehow you just can't avoid looking, can ya. LOL

The light shows were much better, and i actually think i enjoyed the opening band days. Gave the sound crews an opportunity to fix the sound before Rush went on stage. I always notice at Rush shows that the sound is from poor to good in the first set, then awesome in the second.

Great point!

1. It seemed as though there was a new tour every other year.

2. An "expensive Rush show" meant $24.50 per ticket (Counterparts)

3. No morons taking pictures and/or videos with cell phones

Just about everything else on the OP I DON'T miss.

Clem

• Like 1

My first show was in '92, so I didn't get to see the really classic period Rush live... I was just too young.

I got a few bootlegs though. My favorite is the St. Louis '80 show. Obviously, the setlist would be #1.... hearing anything from Kings or Hemispheres that they can't play anymore due to the vocals. The vintage equipment. The Ampeg stacks, the double-necks, the Moogs and Oberheims, the Taurus pedals, the Tamas and Slingerlands.

This.

My first Rush show was the Signals Tour and they started playing hyper faster starting with that tour. I don't remember too much as I was only 13 years old.

So I started seeing Rush right at the start of their synth era (amazing shows mind you) and thrill of seeing Rush for the first time is something I will never forget. back to back nights at the Hollywood Sporthole. The first night I had a ticket I bought with my buddy...section 116 right on the side of the stage. His older brother drove us as they had floor seats.

The second night his brother said he was going and scalping seats. I asked him to take me with him (my buddy had no cash). I went with a 20 dollar bill and hope.

15 minutes before showtime I scored a 10th row seat...a single off some skinny....homeless looking guy. He asked for 30 bucks....I said man I have a crisp 20....that's all.....he took it.

Loved the old keys, moots, Alex's early 80's approach. And most of all Neil's Tama's and Slingerland snare.

• Like 2

Today you can ignore the setlist spoilers and enjoy your own personal discovery of the setlist, but pre-Internet almost nobody knew what was coming next, so everyone erupted when the first notes of a great song were heard.

Those are the best memories I have of the 80s shows.

• Like 3

Today you can ignore the setlist spoilers and enjoy your own personal discovery of the setlist, but pre-Internet almost nobody knew what was coming next, so everyone erupted when the first notes of a great song were heard.

Those are the best memories I have of the 80s shows.

This