Exit stage left- not filmed live?

Sin City

Also seem to remember all those critics saying that there must be extra musicians underneath or behind the stage as there was no way three musicians could make that sound.

For "extra musicians", read "trained proboscis monkeys". That tour was their darkest hour. Those poor monkeys. They went through dozens, as most nights, due to the sheer speed the monkeys had to play at, they lost at least 2 to spontaneous combustion. When this comes out, RUSH ARE DOOMED.

You read it here first.

• Like 2

Also seem to remember all those critics saying that there must be extra musicians underneath or behind the stage as there was no way three musicians could make that sound.

For "extra musicians", read "trained proboscis monkeys". That tour was their darkest hour. Those poor monkeys. They went through dozens, as most nights, due to the sheer speed the monkeys had to play at, they lost at least 2 to spontaneous combustion. When this comes out, RUSH ARE DOOMED.

You read it here first.

Remember that time those monkeys stole the support act's stage gear and instruments and went on stage?

Man, The Runaways are still whining about it to this day.

• Like 3

The two bright lights level with Neil's drum riser is a clear reference to 9/11. How did they know back in 1981? They're warlocks and Neil's precognitive abilities have been enhanced as a side effect of his brain cancer.

http://youtu.be/W7AaUO1NdVI

And, of course, this is required viewing if you want to know the TRUTH about Rush's involvement with the NSA, CIA, PK, TK and HAARP technology.

And we wonder why Mr Peart likes to keep the fanboys at arms length.

http://youtu.be/o4NU0PrYA6U

Um?

Edited by Tony R

ESL was the soundcheck, with crowd noise (and audience shots for the video) added in. Rush learned to do this from KISS.

Only half-correct. KISS Alive was not the sound check and neither was ESL. KISS used the actual live concert drum tracks and overdubbed most of everything else. RUSH used the actual live tracks and fixed some of it via overdubs. Anyone who actually saw a show or two back then could verify that RUSH sounded pretty close to the studio versions in concert. Also, if they had done the entire thing in the studio, Neil's tempo would be much more solid, but he pretty clearly speeds up and slows down within songs all over the album. Also, what band does more than half their show for sound check? Answer: no band does that. 3-4 songs usually, if that.

Why not the whole show? Because 2 LPs can fit a max of about 80 minutes, and VHS cassettes at the time held less than 2 hours worth of tape—closer to one hour on SP mode, and long films usually required two cassettes.

This was the MP tour, which was their most popular album. They may have added crowd noise, but I doubt they faked any live shots on the video. Why would hey go to all the trouble of putting a fake audience in for only two seconds of footage? It makes no sense at all. If they're going to the trouble of renting an arena and filling it with a fake audience, they'd have included much more. I really think people are reaching here. Try to remember, MTV was in its infancy, so the whole approach to concert films was different than today, and varied depending on who the director was. Also, people watching a concert film want to see the band, not the audience, so the crowd shots are minimal, and there are lots of close ups. That's just common sense. The show back then was essentially just the band and the rear screen, and maybe some dry ice, so that's what's on the film.

You read it here first.

Remember that time those monkeys stole the support act's stage gear and instruments and went on stage?

But the monkeys played the instruments much better than The Runaways did.

You read it here first.

But the monkeys played the instruments much better than The Runaways did.

It's all just mainly monkey business

The two bright lights level with Neil's drum riser is a clear reference to 9/11. How did they know back in 1981? They're warlocks and Neil's precognitive abilities have been enhanced as a side effect of his brain cancer.

And, of course, this is required viewing if you want to know the TRUTH about Rush's involvement with the NSA, CIA, PK, TK and HAARP technology.

Um?

There's herself. Wonder what she's up to these days.....

Um?

There's herself. Wonder what she's up to these days.....

Probably projecting herself from a padded cell whilst being prodded and probed by Venkman, Stantz and Spengler.

Err mah gawd, let me try this again.

Okay, Rush was not popular in Montreal so they had to add crowd noise and audience shots to make them look more popular.

Rush was popular in Montreal.

Lerxster has spoken, we can all go home now.

Is he gone already?

It's hard to believe. His argument was so ... substantive. As with the grassy knoll, Building 7, Mel's Hole and Area 51, Exit ... Stage Left is another classic example of massive and intricate subterfuge by powers we can not begin to comprehend. Perhaps, Oliver Stone can make a movie to clarify it.

:unsure:

• Like 1

Is he gone already?

It's hard to believe. His argument was so ... substantive. As with the grassy knoll, Building 7, Mel's Hole and Area 51, Exit ... Stage Left is another classic example of massive and intricate subterfuge by powers we can not begin to comprehend. Perhaps, Oliver Stone can make a movie to clarify it.

Admit it, you're in on it aren't you?

Is he gone already?

In my mind there is no doubt that there was an audience during the filming of ESL. But, the question is, was there a second audience or maybe even a third audience? Edited by snowdogged

Is he gone already?

Admit it, you're in on it aren't you?

Maybe ... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused006.gif

Is he gone already?

In my mind there is no doubt that there was an audience during the filming of ESL. But, the question is, was there a second audience or maybe even a third audience?

On the lawn. Or the Grassy Knoll as it was known as then.

• Like 1

Boy, are some of you guys suckers. I saw the MP tour. If ESL was filmed live tell me this, why wasn't the set list the same set list I saw. Huh? Why?

I didn't think you'd have an answer.

I don't have an answer. That is my answer.

Anyone who attended the Montreal forum show will know they filmed it. That does not mean they might not have replayed some songs to get better shots. I don't know if they did or didn't. The film was edited for TV which is why it was not the full show. There was no video release planned at the time.

Boy, are some of you guys suckers. I saw the MP tour. If ESL was filmed live tell me this, why wasn't the set list the same set list I saw. Huh? Why?

I didn't think you'd have an answer.

It's called editing. Duh. Plus they didn't always play identical shows every night back then. I saw dec 22 1981 and my buddy went the night before at the same venue. They switched at least one song and maybe two (I think they did by tor the first night and a medley with Bastille day the second night, but I could be mistaken—I was still a newbie at the time).

I love all the conspiracy theories!

in 1981 the filming of concerts was much less involved than it is today. You hired 6-7 cameramen, rented the same number of cameras and basically winged it.

As for why you can't see the audience in the shots from behind Neil's kit it's pretty simple. The spotlights are flooding the lens and without a light source on the audience everything behind the floods is going to be blacked out.

While none of it is clear, I can see shapes in a couple of those shots which appear to be people but again no light on the source, no clear images.