Neil's posts too long

tommyali

Aspergers tendencies, not the full condition. Nobody can diagnose someone they haven't even met, obviously, but from watching the DVD "Beyond the Lighted Stage", reading his books, and from my personal and professional knowledge of Aspergers, my personal opinion is that he has aspects of the condition. I also think he's worked at overcoming many of the negative features and has the personal focus and determination which is typical of intelligent people with mild Aspergers. I'd rather not discuss this in more detail as I could be wrong and it could be seen as a derogatory opinion (which it isn't).

This sort of speculation about what syndromes or conditions people might have is in my opinion one of the most distasteful aspects of modern culture.

Is it so distasteful? I think that most people have a little sort of disorder sometimes hidden, and that is what make the human being so interesting, complex, unpredictable. You can have those little disorder and accomplish some great things artistically. There's some autistic people, who are genius. I am not saying that Neil is autistic, but that could explain why he feel uncomfortable with his fans.

Yes, I do think this kind of speculation is extremely distasteful. Not because I think that people with disorders can't be good people or accomplish great things, or that I think that having a disorder is or should be any kind of stigma, but because I think it's presumptuous and intrusive, not to mention unrealistic when based only on the very limited picture one gets from the public persona of someone whose real life they know almost nothing of.

I can't find it now but this is almost as bad as this post I read where people were speculating that Geddy Lee has Williams Syndrome.

www.williams-syndrome.org

Remember Neil is in a band, he's a public figure, his life isn't like ours. How would you react if you were just sitting somewhere trying to eat breakfast and people were approaching you, always wanting to talk to you, or wanting a picture or just something from you when all you want to do is sit and drink your coffee? I think he's just introverted and shy and just wants to be normal. He doesn't want some random clown getting all excited to see him and then maybe bringing up things he doesn't want to talk about.

Seriously. Knowing my temper, I'd probably turn into the biggest dick ever. Like, "Get the f**k away from me until after I have my coffee and finish reading this chapter. Better yet, just go away for good."

Ya know. When Neil posts something he is condensing a few months of traveling, touring, and personal experience into what? Two or three pages on the Internet? I think that's tolerable.

seriously, people on this site can't even sum up a foreigner concert at the county fair in the amount of space neil takes to write about 6 months of his life

• Like 2

How do u define "smart", TWoW?

Being the best lyricist and drummer in the world.

Highly debatable

Of course it is......It's my subjective standpoint. But objectively, there is at least a broad consensus that he is at the top in both categories.

I'll agree he's he best drummer-lyricist

Aspergers tendencies, not the full condition. Nobody can diagnose someone they haven't even met, obviously, but from watching the DVD "Beyond the Lighted Stage", reading his books, and from my personal and professional knowledge of Aspergers, my personal opinion is that he has aspects of the condition. I also think he's worked at overcoming many of the negative features and has the personal focus and determination which is typical of intelligent people with mild Aspergers. I'd rather not discuss this in more detail as I could be wrong and it could be seen as a derogatory opinion (which it isn't).

Thanks for the explanation of your conclusion. I'm still not sure why you'd diagnose 'Aspergers tendencies' though, or even assume that Neil has some sort of problem. If you didn't want to discuss this, then you should probably have not brought it up on a public forum.

You'd think if neil had Aspergers, he would have discussed that by now.

I love how people think that anyone with slightly misanthropic tendencies is potentially Aspergers.

• Like 2

You'd think if neil had Aspergers, he would have discussed that by now.

I love how people think that anyone with slightly misanthropic tendencies is potentially Aspergers.

Careful...some people might get freaked out by that.

1. He hasn't "mastered" prose at all. And he'd be first to admit it. His travel prose can be klunky and self-absorbed, but travel writing is a difficult genre to be good at; you're trying to bring to life places and contexts and events that the majority of your audience hasn't shared. That's tough to do.

2. His writing isn't at all dense as it is detailed, especially his diversions into memory, Rush, lyrics, childhood, and the occasional pithy political or social observation.

His writing isn't just "updates". It's a travel journal and thus an account of someone's thoughts and experiences. It'd better be detailed!

:goodone: :goodone: :goodone:

Thanks for the explanation of your conclusion. I'm still not sure why you'd diagnose 'Aspergers tendencies' though, or even assume that Neil has some sort of problem. If you didn't want to discuss this, then you should probably have not brought it up on a public forum.

Funny how society views introverts as having something wrong with them. But the, we introverts are constantly wondering why the extroverts can't just shut up, sit down, and take it all in every one in a while.

• Like 7

I think Neil has had this issue from the beginning. The form of expression, though, limits how much he can say, and his writing benefits. He probably also benefits from Geddy's editing. On the first three albums, Neil often wrote accompanying prose on the songs. I love the songs for what they are, and I love getting the extra context. I feel the same way about his blog posts. The simple description of a meteor rain is beautiful, and works perfectly in a song. But the 3 paragraph description of the inspiration doesn't fit in a song, and is not as exciting as the song's lyrics. But I love reading it anyway. And I think this perspective on writing allowed for the novelization of Clockwork Angels, which was also a great read with a good editor. Actually, I would have enjoyed more.

1. He hasn't "mastered" prose at all. And he'd be first to admit it. His travel prose can be klunky and self-absorbed, but travel writing is a difficult genre to be good at; you're trying to bring to life places and contexts and events that the majority of your audience hasn't shared. That's tough to do.

2. His writing isn't at all dense as it is detailed, especially his diversions into memory, Rush, lyrics, childhood, and the occasional pithy political or social observation.

His writing isn't just "updates". It's a travel journal and thus an account of someone's thoughts and experiences. It'd better be detailed!

Well IMHO, he's mastered "lyrical" prose....And writing that is critiqued as overly detailed can be interpreted as dense....Perhaps we'll get some novels from Neil, when Rush retires......

Well IMHO, he's mastered "lyrical" prose....And writing that is critiqued as overly detailed can be interpreted as dense....Perhaps we'll get some novels from Neil, when Rush retires......

Oh dear. I mean, for lyrical prose masters, you're talking about Nabokov, Fitzgerald, Kingsolver, Morrison, Bradbury, Barth, etc. Neil'd be the last to imply that he's at that level.

And no, "overly detailed" writing isn't necessarily the same as "dense". Romance and fantasy novels can be over-ly detailed, but no one ever accsued the vast majority of them as being dense writing. Writers like Marquez, Barry Lopez, Faulkner, Proust, Pynchon, et al, are both detailed and dense - but the details serve a specific purpose.

• Like 1

People complain he's too closed off. Then they complain his entries are too long.

Is this what this forum turns into when the band is between tours?

Yes, evidently it is.

Neil's posts are too long? Maybe for those who've become accustomed to Twitter, and so forth. Maybe that's it...maybe some people would be happier if he just had a Twitter account, and started using 'words' like 4, 2, u, etc... :rolleyes:

All right, I know I'm getting a little carried away, and that's not really what people would prefer (is it?). But it does seem like the guy just can't win. Fickle, fickle, fickle you are!

Neil's posts are too long? Maybe for those who've become accustomed to Twitter, and so forth. Maybe that's it...maybe some people would be happier if he just had a Twitter account, and started using 'words' like 4, 2, u, etc... :rolleyes:

Or BU2B? :16ton:

• Like 1

"Oh dear"? Do you want add Henry James to that list you f'ing d-bag.....

Nah. He was just trying to be another Jane Austen. Had he been writing today, he would be probably be in Vanity Fair.

warm regards to you, too.

• Like 1