If you could make a single critique to Neil, face to face, what would you say?

GeminiRising79

You find yourself walking down 3rd street in Santa Monica on vacation, taking in the sights and, suddenly, mother nature abruptly calls you. You run into the Trastevere Italian restaurant to discretely find the restroom to unleash your payload. With great relief, you finish your business and make your way towards the front door. As u do, you happen to glance over at the bar and -Boom!- You see someone standing there that looks strangely familiar. You stop in your tracks and look harder. "Holy chit. That's Neil F.N. Peart!", you audibly say to yourself. The guy standing next to you says "who the heck is that??" while Bertstaring you. You ignore him and make your way in Neil's direction without eliciting any of Neil's numerous defenses. You notice that Neil is actually having a drink (a Peartini, mind you) while mingling with the maggotry, in quite an animated fashion, much to your great surprise. You miraculously feel a window of opportunity opens up, and you move in a little closer. In your flabberghasted state of mind, you forget you are wearing a t-shirt with a lame alchemy symbol on the front of it. You look over at Neil and are electrified to see that his eyes are firmly affixed to the front of your shirt like a pair of tractor beams. He looks up at you and you freeze. Expecting him to reach in his pocket and frantically start pushing his red security button, he smiles at you and says that he admires your shirt. You look at him and mutter a few mindless things about the new album and make a nervous joke that without Al, there would be no chemistry. You look in his eyes and see he is not at all amused, but he still manages to smile, condescendingly. To your surprise he strikes up a conversation with you. He mentions that he is very relieved that the tour is over. "To be honest, my ass is killing me. All the sitting I do. The bike, the cot-dam drumming, the toilet. Its taking its toll on me". You keep listening with open eyes and open mind. After he finishes venting about what a hipster primadonna Geddy has become, and how there will be no more solo guitar material from Alex since his fingers now resemble pregnant caterpillars, he asks you what would be the one thing that you would critique the band on "And, don't sugarcoat it like the fanboys on TRF do"

What criticism would you parlay?

Edited by GeminiRising79

You find yourself walking down 3rd street in Santa Monica on vacation, taking in the sights and, suddenly, mother nature abruptly calls you. You run into the Trastevere Italian restaurant to discretely find the restroom to unleash your payload. With great relief, you finish your business and make your way towards the front door. As u do, you happen to glance over at the bar and -Boom!- You see someone standing there that looks strangely familiar. You stop in your tracks and look harder. "Holy chit. That's Neil F.N. Peart!", you audibly say to yourself. The guy standing next to you says "who the heck is that??" while Bertstaring you. You ignore him and make your way in Neil's direction without eliciting any of Neil's numerous defenses. You notice that Neil is actually having a drink (a Peartini, mind you) while mingling with the maggotry, in quite an animated fashion, much to your great surprise. You miraculously feel a window of opportunity opens up, and you move in a little closer. In your flabberghasted state of mind, you forget you are wearing a t-shirt with a lame alchemy symbol on the front of it. You look over at Neil and are electrified to see that his eyes are firmly affixed to the front of your shirt like a pair of tractor beams. He looks up at you and you freeze. Expecting him to reach in his pocket and frantically start pushing his red security button, he smiles at you and says that he admires your shirt. You look at him and mutter a few mindless things about the new album and make a nervous joke that without Al, there would be no chemistry. You look in his eyes and see he is not at all amused, but he still manages to smile, condescendingly. To your surprise he strikes up a conversation with you. He mentions that he is very relieved that the tour is over. "To be honest, my ass is killing me. All the sitting I do. The bike, the cot-dam drumming, the toilet. Its taking its toll on me". You keep listening with open eyes and open mind. After he finishes venting about what a hipster primadonna Geddy has become, and how there will be no more solo guitar material from Alex since his fingers now resemble pregnant caterpillars, he asks you what would be the one thing that you would critique the band on "And, don't sugarcoat it like the fanboys on TRF do"

I didn't read that whole post, because I know better. The nine seconds of it that I did read I'll never get back. This saddens me.

• Like 8

Wow Gemini, this post sucks a lot less than your usual garbage! Nice work!

I'd tell him that the production on the Clockwork Angels did a disservice to the strength of the songs. There needs to be more breathing room.

• Like 4

Wow Gemini, this post sucks a lot less than your usual garbage! Nice work!

I'd tell him that the production on the Clockwork Angels did a disservice to the strength of the songs. There needs to be more breathing room.

Exactly! True for the last 3 IMHO.

I skipped OP's behemoth paragraph, saw what 1001 had to say and am fortunate to have that time not wasted. So, without further ado, what I'd say to Mr. Peart:

RUSH has been the soundtrack to my adult life. Thank you! Looking forward to the next album and tour! RRRUUUSSSHHH!!!

• Like 6

I'd say, "Dude, if you're going to trade on your name to get special service at the BMW place, don't get all pissy when they want you to do a little meet-and-greet with some of their employees."
  • Like 3

I didn't read that whole post, because I know better. The nine seconds of it that I did read I'll never get back. This saddens me.

I think people on here respect your opinion, I know I do. it seems like ya set the tone for the rest of the thread here lol.. isn't it kinda the admin's job to read the whole post? just sayin.. ;)

Edited by MMCXII

I think people on here respect your opinion, I know I do. it seems like ya set the tone for the rest of the thread here lol.. isn't it kinda the admin's job to read the whole post? just sayin.. ;)

I don't think I set the tone, I think Gemini did. And I'm not posting here as an admin, but as just another member who's been here for awhile and knows that Gemini is eternally bitter because he's been jilted by Neil. :P

I'd say, "Never let the things people say about you discourage you."

Jesus. Give the guy a break.

Edited by ZachenFoot
  • Like 1

I don't think I set the tone, I think Gemini did. And I'm not posting here as an admin, but as just another member who's been here for awhile and knows that Gemini is eternally bitter because he's been jilted by Neil. :P

fair enough. if only Neil knew the damage he's done lol

to answer the OP, I think I'd try to avoid talking about him and Rush as much as possible .. until I get him drunk!! :madra:
  • Like 3

Sure, I'm justifiably jilted. Look at the direction he's taken this band in, since 2002. He has unfairly monopolized Rush from this time forward. I am being serious here.

Listen to Geddy's solo album and then try to tell me with a straight face that Neil is the one who has been pushing the band in it's current creative direction.

I'm going to regret asking this, but how did he get jilted?

• Like 1

Who the hell am I to critique Neil (or the hipster prima-donna and Alex) to his face? Or behind his back for that matter? I know nothing about music, other than the fact that I have loved it since I was a child, and I have no musical talent or capabilities that I am aware of.

Sure, I'm justifiably jilted. Look at the direction he's taken this band in, since 2002. He has unfairly monopolized Rush from this time forward. I am being serious here.

Listen to Geddy's solo album and then try to tell me with a straight face that Neil is the one who has been pushing the band in it's current creative direction.

You expect rationality from this guy? :LOL: He's still smarting from being "justifiably jilted" by a rock star over 10, and probably more, years ago. One thing I truly believe is, whatever Neil did to "jilt" GR, it was undoubtedly justified.

You'll only get the version without all the creepy stalker details. GR is a victim, don't you know.

You'll only get the version without all the creepy stalker details. GR is a victim, don't you know.

Oh dear...