Any suggestions for some stand-up?

The Analog Grownup

Showtime had 2 specials on recently.

Jay Mohr - Happy and A Lot- Dude joked about Rock music often, it was very funny and we all could relate.

New guy I saw I liked alot was Sebastian Maniscalco..check him out

I saw Craig Ferguson live earlier this year and he was hilarious! His Keith Richards/Mick Jagger story is great! I've enjoyed his DVDs too. We saw Lily Tomlin live a month or so later and she was stellar. A true icon.

If you're going 70's and 80's old school, Richard Pryor is a must and probably the gold standard, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Kevin Pollack, Michael Keaton, and earlier than that Joan Rivers, Bob Newhart, Lenny Bruce, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny (he was more variety show but absolutely hilarious)

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

I saw Craig Ferguson live earlier this year and he was hilarious! His Keith Richards/Mick Jagger story is great! I've enjoyed his DVDs too. We saw Lily Tomlin live a month or so later and she was stellar. A true icon.

If you're going 70's and 80's old school, Richard Pryor is a must and probably the gold standard, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Kevin Pollack, Michael Keaton, and earlier than that Joan Rivers, Bob Newhart, Lenny Bruce, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny (he was more variety show but absolutely hilarious)

Shelly Berman was great, too. He had a series of phone conversation routines that were great. Like "The morning after the night before...".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nagzOGCc8N4

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, Dana Carvey and Kathleen Madigan have all done good stand-up specials IMO. Burr's a little more on the racy side though. Edited by TexMike

Shelly Berman was great, too. He had a series of phone conversation routines that were great. Like "The morning after the night before...".

:goodone: I had forgotten about Shelly Berman and that routine. That's a great one and he was way ahead of his time. Great phone calls (have you seen the phone skit from the Judy Garland show? - hilarious :LOL: - I don't care how low your sister's voice is, my name's not Dorothy :LOL:) He sounds like an influence on Larry David.

http://youtu.be/nOyDkwF8AGc

For me, Bob Newhart is the king of the deadpan phone call delivery. The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart actually knocked Elvis out of the #1 album spot and won a Grammy in 1961! :o And, he had virtually no experience in front of an audience at that time. He was an accountant who wanted to be a comedian and so they hired a club in Texas where he could have an audience while Bob recorded his album with the help of some friends. The album was a huge hit and launched his career.

• Like 1

:goodone: I had forgotten about Shelly Berman and that routine. That's a great one and he was way ahead of his time. Great phone calls (have you seen the phone skit from the Judy Garland show? - hilarious :LOL: - I don't care how low your sister's voice is, my name's not Dorothy :LOL:) He sounds like an influence on Larry David.

http://youtu.be/nOyDkwF8AGc

For me, Bob Newhart is the king of the deadpan phone call delivery. The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart actually knocked Elvis out of the #1 album spot and won a Grammy in 1961! :o And, he had virtually no experience in front of an audience at that time. He was an accountant who wanted to be a comedian and so they hired a club in Texas where he could have an audience while Bob recorded his album with the help of some friends. The album was a huge hit and launched his career.

Newhart's early stuff is great. And his original 70's tv show was one of my favs. Nice to find another fan of class comedy, CG! :cheers:
  • Like 1