Woodstock 44 years ago today - Aug 15, 1969

custom55

Aw shit this makes me feel old. I was just about age 13 when Woodstock happened. It was doubly tough because I grew up in a cultural wasteland (Spokane, Washington.....a fine city and all but hip it wasn't and never will be) so I could see on TV what was happening around the country/world but really never got to experience it in my hometown.

Highlights for me: Ten Years After (wow!), Santana (Michael Shrieve's drumming!), Hendrix (duh), "....don't eat the brown acid" (IIRC, been a while since I popped in the DVDs), Joplin, etc.

• Like 2

Aw shit this makes me feel old. I was just about age 13 when Woodstock happened. It was doubly tough because I grew up in a cultural wasteland (Spokane, Washington.....a fine city and all but hip it wasn't and never will be) so I could see on TV what was happening around the country/world but really never got to experience it in my hometown.

Highlights for me: Ten Years After (wow!), Santana (Michael Shrieve's drumming!), Hendrix (duh), "....don't eat the brown acid" (IIRC, been a while since I popped in the DVDs), Joplin, etc.

I'm here to tell you it hasn't changed.

Oh I am well aware of that fact Lorraine. My parents and brother still live there and I visit 5-6 times a year. :-)

Oh I am well aware of that fact Lorraine. My parents and brother still live there and I visit 5-6 times a year. :-)

Maybe you can appreciate what it took me to get used to living out here. I tell you the truth, it took me FIFTEEN YEARS before I didn't want to move back to the east coast any longer. It was a culture shock moving here. I haven't had a good bagel or pizza in over twenty years.

I was 14 and my neighbors went to Woodstock. I remember them coming home and showing me their Woodstock Mud, from sliding down that mud hill.

My friend told me three things when she came back that I remember - how long the line was to the telephone that she had to wait in so she could call her father to tell him where she was - how awful the condition of the port-o-lets were - and every time this CCR song would come on the radio, she would stand up, shield her eyes, start dancing, and telling me how she danced like that at Woodstock when they came on. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Not a bad performance considering Pete was on LSD and it was 5am.

From Pete's most recent book...

In August 1969, The Who played at the Woodstock festival at Bethel, near New York. This event gained global fame via a film made of the proceedings. "Everyone who performed at Woodstock enjoyed mythic status once the film was released" (p. 181). The Who gained more celebrity in America than most of the competitors, and their income was thereafter closely linked with that country. Ironically, Townshend was averse to the festival setting, which was a creation of the psychedelic hippy trend.

As The Who entourage drove along the muddy road to this concert, Moon and Entwistle were "behaving strangely" after getting high on drugs. Their tendency was shared by most of the audience. Fantasies about this event were prodigious. Townshend provides a realistic account of some features. "The scene greeting us at the backstage area of the festival was horrific" (p. 178). The parking area was thick mud, and there were no dressing rooms. They went to a tent for refreshments, where "I helped myself, and realised within minutes the water had been spiked with acid [LSD]."

Were we ever that young? It doesn't seem possible that so many years have passed as to make this event almost seem unreal.

I feel damn near as good as I did back in those days, feel really good and quite young inside even at age 57. But then I look in the mirror and it's a WHOLE different story. I keep asking myself "who's that old, gray fukker staring back at me?". LOL

Edited by driventotheedge

I was 12 when Woodstock happened, too young to attend. But I saw the movie countless times.. in addition to the previously mentioned highlights, I also liked the performance of Sly and the Family Stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J035ejuafWY

Brilliant band and excellent performance at Woodstock.

Thanks for the reminder, I went to the movie 3 times the summer it came out. Love Santana and CSN were just getting started.