"Signals" and "Power Windows"

roxymuzak

i adore these two albums, call me nostalgic of an era where synths melted with rock and pop (even jazz) but i love that sound . I'd like very much to see that two albums repackaged in a deluxe edition with extras (I know they've been remastered a couple of times). What do you think
  • Like 1

I love the albums, Signals especially, but I don't know what a deluxe edition with extras would consist of since Rush doesn't have alternate takes and bonus tracks lying around like so many groups do. Regardless, the whole Signals through HYF period was an awesome period for the band. :yes: :haz: :D
  • Like 5

I love the albums, Signals especially, but I don't know what a deluxe edition with extras would consist of since Rush doesn't have alternate takes and bonus tracks lying around like so many groups do. Regardless, the whole Signals through HYF period was an awesome period for the band. :yes: :haz: :D

The Signals 5.1 mix uses a lot of alternative takes.

• Like 2

Really?

It's the album in between that I like the best! :dweez: I love the whole period as well. Although I think that Alex would disagree, I really love his guitar sound and guitar work during this period. He had to work outside of the box for these records and I love the choices he made in both his sound and his style of playing.
  • Like 3

Other than "The Weapon" this is the first I've heard of this. Sources?

Same here. I'm intrigued they would make a Signals 5.1 before 2112.

Same here. I'm intrigued they would make a Signals 5.1 before 2112.

They have a 2112 5.1.

If you read the amazon reviews, you'll see many people talking about different vocal takes, different guitar takes, etc. I think the weapon was he only one with a completely different take.

• Like 1

There's this youtube video of the stereo mix of Subdivisions and The Analog Kid off of the Signals 5.1 DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNA_dKcB3s

Sounds like the guitar's a bit more in the mix compared to my 1997 remaster CD, and the vocals do sound subtly different. I would love to have a 5.1 reissue of Power Windows, as it's my favorite synth era album next to Signals.

• Like 4

There's this youtube video of the stereo mix of Subdivisions and The Analog Kid off of the Signals 5.1 DVD

Sounds like the guitar's a bit more in the mix compared to my 1997 remaster CD, and the vocals do sound subtly different. I would love to have a 5.1 reissue of Power Windows, as it's my favorite synth era album next to Signals.

It's definitely very different, and I gotta say that I f*cking HATE it. The original and remaster is a million times better - God, I hate remixing... they just sucked the life right out of those songs. :(

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

I agree. This kinda sucks and sounds raw and unpolished. Much prefer the original.

It's definitely very different, and I gotta say that I f*cking HATE it. The original and remaster is a million times better - God, I hate remixing... they just sucked the life right out of those songs. :(

I agree. This kinda sucks and sounds raw and unpolished. Much prefer the original.

Wow, that it is a weird feeling to expect something to be a certain way since you've heard it for over 30 years and for it to be so different. Not sure what to say.

The guitar is more prominent, but the vocals are the deal breaker for me. They don't even sound like the vocal tracks used in the original recording, and it sounds like touches of reverb have been added in spots. Overall, it seems to lack the warmth of the original. It's awful.

I'll keep my original Mercury disc that I "inherited" from my brother when he went to college.

Leave Signals alone; it's perfect as it is.

Two of my favorites, hoping that a five.one remix for Power Windows will come out.

The guitar is more prominent, but the vocals are the deal breaker for me. They don't even sound like the vocal tracks used in the original recording, and it sounds like touches of reverb have been added in spots. Overall, it seems to lack the warmth of the original. It's awful.

I'll keep my original Mercury disc that I "inherited" from my brother when he went to college.

Leave Signals alone; it's perfect as it is.

Yeah, I don't like the use of different vocal takes on the 5.1 mix either. I don't understand why they would do that in the first place unless they lost the original tapes of the vocal takes that made it on to the album. While I do like that the guitar's more prominent, I think it's too prominent in the mix and because of that, the synths sound a bit buried in the mix (at least to my ears) which I dislike because I loved the sound of the synths on Signals.

Yeah, I don't like the use of different vocal takes on the 5.1 mix either. I don't understand why they would do that in the first place unless they lost the original tapes of the vocal takes that made it on to the album.

I have Signals on CD and some of the vocals on 'The Weapon' and 'Countdown' are missing. Apparently this was true on the The "Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Ultradisc II- 24 KT Gold CD", too. So maybe some of the original master tapes were lost somehow?

http://www.2112.net/...n/SIGlyrics.htm

[see the 'notes' section]

That sounds like a shitty demo tape. Hate.