How long has Ged been using a teleprompter?

Ayeegit

He doesn't do it for the lyrics, he does it for the witty banner with the crowd between songs.
  • Like 2

hey why not have it. I'm a guitar player and sometimes I just go in to cruise control, then just forget if I'm in the 2nd or 3rd verse. Its just another tool to ensure there are no screw ups. These guys have been doing this for a long time and its probably very embarrassing to have a major f-up in front of 20,000 people. There is a YouTube clip out there of Slash forgetting how to play the intro to Sweet Child of Mine. He tries several times to get it right. That stuff happens from time to time, so its best to have the tools to put on as good a show as possible.

He's been using them for close to 30 years. You can see them on the GUP video. Why not? There's a lot happening onstage. Better safe than sorry.
  • Like 1

I understand all the reasons for doing it but still not sure I agree with it. I play in cover bands and it is a big no no for a singer to have lyrics written down on a music stand or something. I know tons of national bands do it but not sure that I agree. Using extra samples is one thing but this is a crutch that shouldn't be used. Just my opinion.

the guy's 60 years old and he's in rush, give him a break

• Like 1

He did invert the lyrics on the final chorus to "Analog Kid" -- singing the "open sea and city lights" part first and then the "with your buildings..." part second. Don't know if this was an intentional thing or simply a singer unintentionally inverting lyrics to a song he's been singing for thirty years and to whome maybe 3% of the audience will pick up on things.

It was intentional, he did it the entire tour.

less than 3 percent, analog kid didn't get much of a response at either of my shows

Analog Kid got a pretty good reaction at both shows I went to. But Buffalo and Hamilton are special cities when it comes to Rush. In most other places if it's not one of the big hits nobody cares.

lucky. in atlanta the reaction was pretty good in my area, but in nashville they might as well have been playing britney spears. such a dead crowd in my section. and I had 90 dollar seats! you'd think the people paying 90 bucks for tickets would try listening to an album besides retrospective 74-80.

Hasn't your mind ever drawn a complete blank? I'm sure it has happened to him. I think the teleprompter is there as a "just in case". At his age, you never know, you know? They don't call them "senior moments" for nothing.

What?

Where are we?

Around 1981 I believe Neil gave an interview about slipping into autopilot during a show and your mind wanders and when you come back to the moment you often forget what you are playing, and he mentioned that geddy has forgotten the lyrics at these moments.

Analog Kid got a pretty good reaction at both shows I went to. But Buffalo and Hamilton are special cities when it comes to Rush. In most other places if it's not one of the big hits nobody cares.

lucky. in atlanta the reaction was pretty good in my area, but in nashville they might as well have been playing britney spears. such a dead crowd in my section. and I had 90 dollar seats! you'd think the people paying 90 bucks for tickets would try listening to an album besides retrospective 74-80.

AK got a good reaction where I was at in Minneapolis, but a lot of the other "deep cuts" (Body Electric, Territories, Grand Designs, Manhattan Project) got the "politely appreciative, but we don't really know that one, and when are you getting to Tom Sawyer?" applause.

AK got a good reaction where I was at in Minneapolis, but a lot of the other "deep cuts" (Body Electric, Territories, Grand Designs, Manhattan Project) got the "politely appreciative, but we don't really know that one, and when are you getting to Tom Sawyer?" applause.

it seems like this happened at every show