Concert question

hcm

Ok, so I really haven't gone to many concerts....growing up my family just didn't do this type of thing, so I was an adult before my first concert.

I havn't seen many acts, Sting in the '90s and of course Rush since their come back.

Is Rush's show really as good as I think it is? Do other acts play for nearly 3 hours? Do they sound as good? Are the crowds as nice as the Rush crowds?

I sometimes feel like people are looking at me weird when I go on and on about how great the Rush shows are.

I am obsessed with Rush, so my opinion might be biased. I really haven't been to a major non Rush show in years. I remember enjoying seeing bands like Metallica or Ozzy, but the concerts were not the religious experiences that Rush shows were.

I do know that my friends that aren't huge fanboys always really say how incredible the shows are after I take them. Also, when I first got married, my wife wasn't a fan. She loves them now after seeing them live on the VT tour through present.

I listen to plenty of music and have gone to tons of shows over the last 20 something years and yes, Rush's show is as good as you think it is. The only other band I've seen that's right up there with them is Iron Maiden. And no, not every band plays 3 hours like they do. That's another thing that makes their shows so special and that's why all their tours since 1996 are marketed as "An Evening With RUSH". Most other tours you go to you will at least have to sit through a couple openers. If you're going to a festival that has a bunch of bands on it then you'll be sitting through multiple bands before the headliner even comes on if you choose to spend the whole day at one of those concerts.

The usual set time for most headlining bands if they have enough material to play is about 90-120 minutes. There's no intermission during these headlining sets, the band just plays right through. There are also several other issues that can unfortunately cut into a headlining bands set time. There could be technical issues with setting up or taking down one of the opening bands equipment or even issues with the headlining bands stage setup. Venues also have curfews and if something goes wrong and the headliner gets on late then they may have to cut their set short in order not to be fined for going over the curfew. These issues don't happen that often but they do happen enough for you to know what's going on if you've been to enough shows.

That's the beauty of seeing Rush live. No openers means that their equipment is up and read to go. You don't have to worry about anything since they're the only band playing so you know you're gonna get a full show. Even if they show up a little late, the curfew at most places is 11pm so you don't have to worry about them cutting their show short unless it's outdoors and there's bad weather or something.

Rush is the only band off the top of my head I can think of who consistently does the "evening with" format. Not too many other bands take on that challenge. Rush does and they complete the task masterfully at every show. Their concerts are special because they do the one thing that makes it special, they give the fans nothing but Rush for three hours.

• Like 6

Rush is GUARANTEED to give you value for your money. They will play their best EVERY time and give 100% effort. You're never guaranteed this at ANY sports event and, unfortunately, most concerts.
  • Like 1

Rudt...funny you mention the light show. I've seen the CA show 3 times and each time I am amazed at what I've missed previously. There is just so much to take in at a Rush show. The video, the lights, the funny extras coming on stage. and most importantly watching the skill of the guys play.

My hubby wants to see Pearl Jam and they are packing stadiums he was saying that they play a 3 hour set as well and switch up songs every show. I don't LOVE Pearl Jam but I'm willing to see them because he wants to and wondering if it is worth it.

He is having trouble getting tickets, no luck the day they went on sale and they are hitting stub hub greatly inflated in price.

• Like 1

J2112 I thanks that is what I was thinking. I saw them in Buffalo in Oct...amazing show seriously! The crowd was so into it.

Yes, it was an excellent show. The audience for Rush shows here have always been very good and they've had a dedicated following in Buffalo and it's surrounding areas for many years now. If you look back on in their tour archives, Buffalo has been a regular stop for them on just about every tour since AFTK. Rarely have they toured over the last 35 years and missed coming here. There was an old radio station here who's format included playing tons of Rush both new and old. They would play the crap out of all the old hits and even the newer stuff as well until it changed it's format to modern rock in 1995. That station was one of the huge driving forces as to why Rush gained such a following here and is responsible for making a lot of people around here fans of Rush, myself included. Being only 90 minutes from where they live in Toronto i'm sure was a big help in that as well.

To play devil's advocate, as I get older I have really begun to hate arena shows and vastly prefer small club/theater shows now. Parking hassles, ridiculous ticket prices and the impossibility of getting anywhere close without paying an even more ridiculous price, outrageous merchandise/beer prices, etc. really hamper my enjoyment of arena shows to the point that Rush and Iron Maiden are the only big shows I will go to anymore. As arena shows go, Rush is definitely the cream of the crop as there are no openers and even with their IMO lame intro/outro videos, you are still getting 2.5 hours of music which is more than most everyone else and with the lighting, effects, and videos, you can see where your money is going. I think Springsteen plays for about the same length but most groups only play a 90-120 minute set as J2112YYZ said.
  • Like 2

Ah jeez since I started with the best I guess I am out of luck for expections of other artists shows

I agree that smaller venues are nicer, I have seen some small acts locally and usually I enjoy any music live if it isn't a hassle to get there and not too expensive.

If you consider 1987 ish early, then they were just as good then. I do believe lasers were invented by that time...They really just had the lasers that seemed to go out in the crowd and some simple screen stuff, but I would say they were pretty good for the time.

Just to add to Aikenrooster who said it so well. I have seen many other "big" names and can easily point out times they just didn't have the energy, setlist, kept people waiting way too long, or something else intangible. I can remember back when Queen was still touring the U.S. and one critic sort of dissed them by saying "You cry out We Will Rock You but you didn't." But Rush has always delivered for me. Maybe my love of the band biases me but I can't think of one show where I walked away thinking they should have done more or something different. About the only thing I walk away saying is "Could you imagine how many tickets this band could sell if chicks dug them?" :blush:

Rush has always been my favorite band (duh, why I am I posting here) to listen to live. I kid you not, the whole experience is life-changing every time I see them live. I've seen many other concerts around my area, and they played well but it never felt like they were truly playing their best (as if to play just well enough to keep the fans happy).

What are the prices of the shirts at the show???? Does anyone know?

Typically $35.

Any of you guys see Rush back in the really early days....were they this good or is it the lights and video, etc that make the show so good.

See my "Time Machine" thread for an answer to that. But in a nutshell, Rush was a much better live act back in the day.

As to your original question, you won't find a better live band these days. I've been going to concerts for about 40 years and have seen just about every big name band you can think of. Have I seen better shows? Sure, Kiss in 76, The original Yes, Rod Stewart in his heyday, just to name a few. But all those bands have lost their steam and they just go through the motions. Rush may not have the same energy on stage that they had when the guys were in their 20s, but what they've lost in energy they've gained in musicianship. Those guys give everything they have in every show. They are constantly improving their lighting and effects as well. And, I have to say their live video production is the best I've seen. In fact, I went to the recent Hamilton show with a concert video director who has worked with some of the biggest acts in rock and he was simply blown away by Rush's video production.

J2112 I thanks that is what I was thinking. I saw them in Buffalo in Oct...amazing show seriously! The crowd was so into it.

Yes, it was an excellent show. The audience for Rush shows here have always been very good and they've had a dedicated following in Buffalo and it's surrounding areas for many years now. If you look back on in their tour archives, Buffalo has been a regular stop for them on just about every tour since AFTK. Rarely have they toured over the last 35 years and missed coming here. There was an old radio station here who's format included playing tons of Rush both new and old. They would play the crap out of all the old hits and even the newer stuff as well until it changed it's format to modern rock in 1995. That station was one of the huge driving forces as to why Rush gained such a following here and is responsible for making a lot of people around here fans of Rush, myself included. Being only 90 minutes from where they live in Toronto i'm sure was a big help in that as well.

True. Although I grew up in Pennsylvania I was closer to Buffalo than Pittsburgh, Erie or any other "city" in Pennsylvania. Buffalo was the source of all our media, TV, Newspapers and the all important FM Radio. Living in the middle of nowhere, the FM radio was so very important to us. Rush was really prevalent on the Buffalo radio stations. We've often wondered if our love of rush was assisted by our proximity to Buffalo and, in turn, Canada.

I've been going to their shows since 1982 and I have never seen a bad one. They always seem to be on and I have never had a complaint.

I've seen a lot of good shows by a lot of good bands, but Rush remains number one. The closest I've come as far as an exciting and rewarding experience lately is Muse. They put on a GREAT show.

True. Although I grew up in Pennsylvania I was closer to Buffalo than Pittsburgh, Erie or any other "city" in Pennsylvania. Buffalo was the source of all our media, TV, Newspapers and the all important FM Radio. Living in the middle of nowhere, the FM radio was so very important to us. Rush was really prevalent on the Buffalo radio stations. We've often wondered if our love of rush was assisted by our proximity to Buffalo and, in turn, Canada.

I grew up in PA as well...not near Buffalo though...I know my love of RUSH was pretty much instant...starting with Fly by Night and 2112....the sound was so different the lyrics really is what sucked me in though...and still do today...no matter what people say about them. God I love this band and I'm sad I didn't see them in the early days...I well could have but just didn't. So glad I've made up for it as much as possible since they came back.

Edited by hcm

A Rush show is everything you hear it is, and more. NOBODY kicks ass like these guys. One of the great things is, at their age, on stage they still look

they are having fun and enjoy doing what they are doing.

The only other artist I can think of that play for nearly as long as RUSH does, is Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney. But they don't have a light show that RUSH does. But nobody can beat the quality RUSH put on stage each and every concert. Edited by Pars123

^^^^^^^^

Springsteen puts on a 3-4 hour show each time, usually playing a setlist taken from fan suggestions.

Phish also throws down a high energy three-hour, two-set show, a different setlist each night. Their light show rivals or bests Rush's.

I listen to plenty of music and have gone to tons of shows over the last 20 something years and yes, Rush's show is as good as you think it is. The only other band I've seen that's right up there with them is Iron Maiden. And no, not every band plays 3 hours like they do. That's another thing that makes their shows so special and that's why all their tours since 1996 are marketed as "An Evening With RUSH". Most other tours you go to you will at least have to sit through a couple openers. If you're going to a festival that has a bunch of bands on it then you'll be sitting through multiple bands before the headliner even comes on if you choose to spend the whole day at one of those concerts.

The usual set time for most headlining bands if they have enough material to play is about 90-120 minutes. There's no intermission during these headlining sets, the band just plays right through. There are also several other issues that can unfortunately cut into a headlining bands set time. There could be technical issues with setting up or taking down one of the opening bands equipment or even issues with the headlining bands stage setup. Venues also have curfews and if something goes wrong and the headliner gets on late then they may have to cut their set short in order not to be fined for going over the curfew. These issues don't happen that often but they do happen enough for you to know what's going on if you've been to enough shows.

That's the beauty of seeing Rush live. No openers means that their equipment is up and read to go. You don't have to worry about anything since they're the only band playing so you know you're gonna get a full show. Even if they show up a little late, the curfew at most places is 11pm so you don't have to worry about them cutting their show short unless it's outdoors and there's bad weather or something.

Rush is the only band off the top of my head I can think of who consistently does the "evening with" format. Not too many other bands take on that challenge. Rush does and they complete the task masterfully at every show. Their concerts are special because they do the one thing that makes it special, they give the fans nothing but Rush for three hours.

Just a little sidenote... I saw McCartney a couple weeks ago and he did a 3 hour show with no break... at age 71. Incredible!

Just a little sidenote... I saw McCartney a couple weeks ago and he did a 3 hour show with no break... at age 71. Incredible!

He plays 40 songs without a break? Amazing! First off, who even plays 40 songs at a concert? Especially at that age. Ok on topic again.