HYF - inner lining image

coventry

Love all the visual puns on the album title coupled with references to previous albums!

http://glenwexlerstudio.com/gallery/large/Hold-Your-Fire.jpg

• Like 1

I think it is amazing. I hadn't seen it in years until I was killing time waiting for my wife in Goodwilll. I was looking through the music bin and found HYF. I was able to kill the rest of the time just staring at the liner.

It brought back memories of being a kid and seeing it for the first time.

Love all the visual puns on the album title coupled with references to previous albums!

Has anyone figured out all of the visual puns? (I also think this MAY have been the first time the "clock" showed (in military time) 2112!

Anyway....I always thought that THIS should have been the album cover not the three red balls.....

I remember reading that Hugh Syme liked to alternate simple and busy covers. Since Power Windows was more "involved" he wanted a contrasting simple cover. I love the HYF cover. The "hot" red color is its good point. It was radically different than previous covers. Had it been another color, it would have been less interesting.

Hold Your Fire is my favorite album. When I went to buy the album (the vinyl), I noticed the red right away. You couldn't miss it. It stood out from the other artwork. Also, when I flipped the album over, I was pleasantly surprised that there were 10 songs on it breaking the 8 song pattern that started with Signals. I remember reading that Neil said they added two more songs since CDs were becoming the predominant format purchased and they allowed more space for tunes than conventional vinyl. "Force Ten" was the last song written. Would love to know what the 9th tune was.

I like how the red cover seems to be like a cover sheet for the busier inside pic. The fireballs line up, too.

Whoa. Never even considered that (how the balls line up).

I like how the red cover seems to be like a cover sheet for the busier inside pic. The fireballs line up, too.

Whoa. Never even considered that (how the balls line up).

That sounds dirty, you pervert.

• Like 1

In the vinyl album, not all of that image is included. But it is in the tour book.

Yeah when i saw this i had to really think if this whole image was on the vinyl sleeve...nice to see whats missing. Excellent artwork from one of my favorite albums (and yes...i enjoy Tai Shan quite a bit)

Has anyone figured out all of the visual puns? (I also think this MAY have been the first time the "clock" showed (in military time) 2112!

Anyway....I always thought that THIS should have been the album cover not the three red balls.....

This was the cover, until they soured on it when they decided there were too many past Rush references. That's when they went ultra-clean and simple. They had even built a mini set for this shot.

This was the cover, until they soured on it when they decided there were too many past Rush references. That's when they went ultra-clean and simple. They had even built a mini set for this shot.

That's understandable, considering they had recently done an album-referencing cover with Exit, Stage Left.

Ahhh. The days before Photoshop...

That "ultra-clean and simple" cover, probably gave most Rush fans a start. But it works, even after 26 years.

Btw, if you're in your 40's or more, rememebr 1997? Not that long ago, right? That was just ten years after 1987's HYF....

The road case on the left alludes to their next album (A Show Of Hands.) I always thought that was cool.

The cover for the Prime Mover enlarges the image of that.

It's a lot easier to spot these things if you have the album handy.

These are all of the references:

Thank you 2112.net/powerwindows for them!

Hold Your Fire
References: the juggler is holding fire; the Statue of Liberty, also holding fire, is seen in a window on the far right; "Tai-Shan" is the name of the restaurant written in Chinese; the address "15" denotes this as the 15th album (including
Archives
).

Other Rush References: the clock is at
21:12
in military time; the fire hydrant from
Signals
; the televisions from
Power Windows
; the debut album's
Rush
logo on the equipment box similar to the one on
Exit Stage Left
; an oxford shoe worn by the girl on
Exit Stage Left
leaning against the trash can.
Edited by Retrospective

Hold Your Fire
References: the juggler is holding fire; the Statue of Liberty, also holding fire, is seen in a window on the far right; "Tai-Shan" is the name of the restaurant written in Chinese; the address "15" denotes this as the 15th album (including
Archives
).

Signals
; the televisions from
Power Windows
; the debut album's
Rush
Exit Stage Left
; an oxford shoe worn by the girl on
Exit Stage Left
leaning against the trash can.

And in the theme of the Time Machine, it could be a foreshadowing to Clockwork Angels with the juggler being an older Owen Hardy.

Hold Your Fire
Archives
).

Signals
; the televisions from
Power Windows
; the debut album's
Rush
Exit Stage Left