Working out

So... "time of the month" has somewhat scuppered my recent success.... my weight has been yoyoing over the past two days by about 3 pounds... it has dropped since yesterday, but I have a pound or so to go til I get back to 153.

I wish I could reach 153. The problem is that I have a lot of muscle mass, and I'm too stubborn to just let that go until I can fit into a size zero. I'd rather just build my shape and stay strong while just burning away the excess.

Have you been wearing out those workout shoes?

I've been using them a lot, yes. But fortunately, since I was able to buy them with a nice holiday gift card, they're not the kind that wear out too easily. So I think I still have quite a bit of mileage left on them. :D

So... "time of the month" has somewhat scuppered my recent success.... my weight has been yoyoing over the past two days by about 3 pounds... it has dropped since yesterday, but I have a pound or so to go til I get back to 153.

I wish I could reach 153. The problem is that I have a lot of muscle mass, and I'm too stubborn to just let that go until I can fit into a size zero. I'd rather just build my shape and stay strong while just burning away the excess.

Have you been wearing out those workout shoes?

I've been using them a lot, yes. But fortunately, since I was able to buy them with a nice holiday gift card, they're not the kind that wear out too easily. So I think I still have quite a bit of mileage left on them. :D

Good for you. Keep fighting the good fight. It feels good to feel good about yourself I hear.... :)

So...

After deciding to get in shape and lose some weight, I have been counting calories with the help of My Fitness Pal, and doing step aerobics with small dumbells, 3lb I think, 3 days a week, then doing exercises with a Davina rowing gizmo and 4lb dumbells a couple of days a week, then on a Sunday going cycling along the seafront for about 2 hours with hubby, unless he isn't well or the weather is too windy, then I get stepping instead. I have been alternating my cardio/strength days. The last day I have as a rest day.

I have been building this regime up slowly during the past few weeks on top of walking to work, or just into town, a distance of 2 miles.

I can officially say that since July 1st I have lost 7 pounds, or half a stone! :yay:

Way to go!! You will see when you need a whole new wardrobe like I did, you will be so excited. Don't give up when you start to level off some. I got frustrated when that happened until I realized my body was still changing and muscle weighs more than fat. I am stuck at 180 lbs (not sure how many stones :LOL: ) but I am ok with that because my body looks good and my clothes feel good on me..... :notworthy: :ebert:

Way to go to you too!! :clap:

I can feel a VERY LITTLE difference in some of my jeans and work trousers, but it's still early days... still, I'm looking forward to getting new clothes!

I forgot to say I also to squats and pushups, though I'm not very good at the pushups! I can only lower myself a litway! :oops:

tle

Btw 180lb is 12.857 stone! :)

For the very best of reasons I am assuming..... :blush:

Obviously!! ;) :LOL: :blush:

I got news for you. You will lose some of those too. Probably first. I went from a B cup to an A myself..... :LOL:

HA!

Oh man, never, never, ever get on the scale for that week. It's rough.

I have a hard time maintaining a high level of energy during that week. One time, I ran a 5k at that time and it literally felt like I had ten-pound weights attached to my ankles while trying to run. I remember giving my husband the stink eye while trying to drag my sloth-like body over the finish line.

That's not stubborn, it is smart. More muscle mass means higher metabolism, even when you are at rest. Don't eat less, eat better. Make sure you eat enough protein. Mix cardio with strength training. You will lose weight slower but you will get healthy faster, you will feel better and you will develop habits which will make it easier to maintain your weight and overall well being.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Oh man, never, never, ever get on the scale for that week. It's rough.

I have a hard time maintaining a high level of energy during that week. One time, I ran a 5k at that time and it literally felt like I had ten-pound weights attached to my ankles while trying to run. I remember giving my husband the stink eye while trying to drag my sloth-like body over the finish line.

I know a little bit of how you feel. This time has been a toughie. I noticed that I had less energy. :hug2:

Last timeI I had hardly any gain....

I am thinking about not weighing myself over the next one. I was just curious to know what my weight does during.... Things are better today! Almost through!

Oops. I forgot about that little obstacle in your way each month to mess with you. Its so hard for a woman anyway. My wife is way overweight and has made attempts to lose in the past and gets to frustrated every time and gives up....

I understand her frustration.... I went through a little of that the past few days... it's like taking two steps forward, then one step back once a month...

Oops. I forgot about that little obstacle in your way each month to mess with you. Its so hard for a woman anyway. My wife is way overweight and has made attempts to lose in the past and gets to frustrated every time and gives up....

I understand her frustration.... I went through a little of that the past few days... it's like taking two steps forward, then one step back once a month...

Your clothes will tell you more than the scale ever could.... :rose: :)
  • Like 1

I AM GETTING NOTICED!!!!! All of my hard work slinging iron is paying off. Granted I'm doing it strictly for myself - I like the challenge and I feel really good. But it is nice to get compliments. I also feel like they are pretty sincere rather than an attempt to hit on me, since I'm mid-40s and thus past the "bait" age.

Saturday: Someone complimented me on my "really awesome delts"!

Tuesday: Sidney, who owns the gym where I work out near my home, came up and squeezed my upper arm: "Wow!" (Disclaimer - I was working arms so yes, they were pretty well pumped) He was used to seeing me just do craptons of cardio; we chatted and he said it's "nice to see you back in the weight area".

And today it was my traps. :D This was at the gym next door to work; I've only been going there for a couple of weeks so am a new face.

I really am working this hard. I'm finding the fun in it now; you can always change up a lifting routine to keep from getting really bored. (But I still hate bent-over 1-arm dumbbell rows for some reason. They work; I just hate them).

• Like 3

I AM GETTING NOTICED!!!!! All of my hard work slinging iron is paying off. Granted I'm doing it strictly for myself - I like the challenge and I feel really good. But it is nice to get compliments. I also feel like they are pretty sincere rather than an attempt to hit on me, since I'm mid-40s and thus past the "bait" age.

Tuesday: Sidney, who owns the gym where I work out near my home, came up and squeezed my upper arm: "Wow!" (Disclaimer - I was working arms so yes, they were pretty well pumped) He was used to seeing me just do craptons of cardio; we chatted and he said it's "nice to see you back in the weight area".

And today it was my traps. :D This was at the gym next door to work; I've only been going there for a couple of weeks so am a new face.

I really am working this hard. I'm finding the fun in it now; you can always change up a lifting routine to keep from getting really bored. (But I still hate bent-over 1-arm dumbbell rows for some reason. They work; I just hate them).

Pics? I want to add to the compliment fest.... :)

Pics? I want to add to the compliment fest.... :)

I'll try to talk my husband into snapping a couple on my phone soon. :) Then someone will have to shrink them to normal size to post - I still haven't figured out how to re-size photos!

• Like 1

(But I still hate bent-over 1-arm dumbbell rows for some reason. They work; I just hate them).

I like them largely because it's easier to advance to heavier weights with them than it is with a lot of other exercises. So I can do a lot of reps with heavy (for me) dumbbells and delude myself into thinking I'm a powerhouse.

Try body-ups. Wicked tricep exercise. Just Google it to get the idea.

Yeah, I definitely felt a burn in my triceps from doing these this morning. And I can't do all that many yet, so they should be a good challenge for a while.

Went to the gym again this morning. Started mixing the running back into the walking. Did 40 minutes and 3.1 miles. Working my way back up slowly to where I was. The goal again is 40 minutes and 4 plus miles. I did it before and will again.....
  • Like 1

Mid 40's? You are right in the wheel house of "bait" age!

I wish I got noticed. Weights and exercise can't fix a jacked up face I guess. when I look in the mirror I do see the difference and the scale agrees with my assessment.

Ever do stability rows? I do them at the end of my back workout. They really add some work to the core which is why I like them. I generally do bent over rows with a barbell.

Anyway, keep up the good work!!

I wish I got noticed. Weights and exercise can't fix a jacked up face I guess. when I look in the mirror I do see the difference and the scale agrees with my assessment.

Ever do stability rows? I do them at the end of my back workout. They really add some work to the core which is why I like them. I generally do bent over rows with a barbell.

You must have the same disease I am inflicted with. Invisibility....... :|
  • Like 1

How do you mean "jacked up face"?

Hideous, ugly, grotesque, etc, etc...

Its debatable but I don't consider mine jacked up but still get no attention whatsoever anywhere. At this point even if a gay dude showed me some attention I would be flattered. Claude Rains syndrome I guess..... :huh:

Its debatable but I don't consider mine jacked up but still get no attention whatsoever anywhere. At this point even if a gay dude showed me some attention I would be flattered. Claude Rains syndrome I guess..... :huh:

A lot of it is self confidence. If you feel good about yourself and it shows, then most people will be attracted to that in one way or another.

• Like 1

A lot of it is self confidence. If you feel good about yourself and it shows, then most people will be attracted to that in one way or another.

I guess. Maybe I have built some kind of wall around myself that "I don't want to be bothered" or something and am not aware of it. Somebody told me that once that I look very serious and unapproachable.... :huh:

I guess. Maybe I have built some kind of wall around myself that "I don't want to be bothered" or something and am not aware of it. Somebody told me that once that I look very serious and unapproachable.... :huh:

I can relate to that. I'm so close to having people come up to me and ask if I'm okay. I am but I apparently look very stern when my face is relaxed. But let me tell you a true story: I had a period where I tried to smile as much as possible without looking retarded. One day on the bus I'm sitting with half a smile on my face, you know the kind that is a fraction from going into a full smile, and I had one beautiful woman after the other seeking eye contact with me! I don't consider myself hot in anyway, but I believe most women are attracted to positivity and laughter. Laughter is indeed one of the best aphrodisiacs. If your personality is anything like we see here, don't be afraid to turn it up when you're out and about :)

I thought you were married mate?

I believe he is :)

33 years. That doesn't mean some positive attention isn't nice once in a while. You might not understand if your circumstances are different. You may get plenty of attention....