Working out

I haven't been to the gym in almost a month due to some medication I have been taking. Some of the medicine has made me feel nausea so that has helped with not gaining weight from time to time but just makes me feel lazy. I still however have been doing brisk 3 to 4 mile walks daily around the neighborhood to maintain my fitness until I feel a bit better. I carry and use 5 lb dumbbells with me every other day to keep my arms in shape till I feel like facing the gym again. Still 6' 180 lbs thank the Lord... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

So after all my pooh poohing over the evils of treadmills I am now the proud owner of one. :P It was getting increasingly difficult to find time to run outside. It's a nice little number. A Life Fitness model. I will admit that I like having it and can get in a workout whenever I want. Sometimes I just get on it and walk for a few miles.

So...

After deciding to get in shape and lose some weight, I have been counting calories with the help of My Fitness Pal, and doing step aerobics with small dumbells, 3lb I think, 3 days a week, then doing exercises with a Davina rowing gizmo and 4lb dumbells a couple of days a week, then on a Sunday going cycling along the seafront for about 2 hours with hubby, unless he isn't well or the weather is too windy, then I get stepping instead. I have been alternating my cardio/strength days. The last day I have as a rest day.

I have been building this regime up slowly during the past few weeks on top of walking to work, or just into town, a distance of 2 miles.

I can officially say that since July 1st I have lost 7 pounds, or half a stone! :yay:

• Like 2

So...

After deciding to get in shape and lose some weight, I have been counting calories with the help of My Fitness Pal, and doing step aerobics with small dumbells, 3lb I think, 3 days a week, then doing exercises with a Davina rowing gizmo and 4lb dumbells a couple of days a week, then on a Sunday going cycling along the seafront for about 2 hours with hubby, unless he isn't well or the weather is too windy, then I get stepping instead. I have been alternating my cardio/strength days. The last day I have as a rest day.

I have been building this regime up slowly during the past few weeks on top of walking to work, or just into town, a distance of 2 miles.

I can officially say that since July 1st I have lost 7 pounds, or half a stone! :yay:

Way to go!! You will see when you need a whole new wardrobe like I did, you will be so excited. Don't give up when you start to level off some. I got frustrated when that happened until I realized my body was still changing and muscle weighs more than fat. I am stuck at 180 lbs (not sure how many stones :LOL: ) but I am ok with that because my body looks good and my clothes feel good on me..... :notworthy: :ebert:
  • Like 2

I downloaded an app called Wheel Of Pain Pushups from ArnoCorps. ArnoCorps is a band from San Francisco who plays a mixture of punk and rock, dressed like they're from the movie Commando and the singer sings like Arnold Schwarzenegger :D

I'm following a training schedule that eventually will make me able to do at least 102 consecutive pushups. It's really motivating to have someone sounding like Arnold when you're working out :D

All you need to do to build up to that many pushups is start off with whatever you can do and as it gets easier just increase the amount incrementally, no need for any special training.

• Like 2

I downloaded an app called Wheel Of Pain Pushups from ArnoCorps. ArnoCorps is a band from San Francisco who plays a mixture of punk and rock, dressed like they're from the movie Commando and the singer sings like Arnold Schwarzenegger :D

I'm following a training schedule that eventually will make me able to do at least 102 consecutive pushups. It's really motivating to have someone sounding like Arnold when you're working out :D

All you need to do to build up to that many pushups is start off with whatever you can do and as it gets easier just increase the amount incrementally, no need for any special training.

Yeah, Duck is right on. No fancy regimens are required to be able to do lots of pushups. Just do them regularly and slowly up the number.

There are lots of variations you can do too if you want to target additional muscles or if you're cruising through sets of the regular ones. I like diamonds and declines. One-arms are tough.

• Like 1

So...

Way to go!! You will see when you need a whole new wardrobe like I did, you will be so excited. Don't give up when you start to level off some. I got frustrated when that happened until I realized my body was still changing and muscle weighs more than fat. I am stuck at 180 lbs (not sure how many stones :LOL: ) but I am ok with that because my body looks good and my clothes feel good on me..... :notworthy: :ebert:

Way to go to you too!! :clap:

I can feel a VERY LITTLE difference in some of my jeans and work trousers, but it's still early days... still, I'm looking forward to getting new clothes!

I forgot to say I also to squats and pushups, though I'm not very good at the pushups! I can only lower myself a little way! :oops:

Btw 180lb is 12.857 stone! :)

Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 2

So...

I can feel a VERY LITTLE difference in some of my jeans and work trousers, but it's still early days... still, I'm looking forward to getting new clothes!

I forgot to say I also to squats and pushups, though I'm not very good at the pushups! I can only lower myself a lit way! :oops:

tle

For the very best of reasons I am assuming..... :blush:
  • Like 1

So...

I forgot to say I also to squats and pushups, though I'm not very good at the pushups! I can only lower myself a litway! :oops:

tle

Obviously!! ;) :LOL: :blush:

Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 1

So...

I forgot to say I also to squats and pushups, though I'm not very good at the pushups! I can only lower myself a litway! :oops:

tle

I got news for you. You will lose some of those too. Probably first. I went from a B cup to an A myself..... :LOL:
  • Like 3

So...

tle

I got news for you. You will lose some of those too. Probably first. I went from a B cup to an A myself..... :LOL:

:LMAO:

Yeah! I'm expecting that!

I tried dieting before years ago and it happened then.... never mind! I can look forward to going underwear shopping too! :ebert:

Edited by LyndseyG
  • Like 1

Yeah, Duck is right on. No fancy regimens are required to be able to do lots of pushups. Just do them regularly and slowly up the number.

There are lots of variations you can do too if you want to target additional muscles or if you're cruising through sets of the regular ones. I like diamonds and declines. One-arms are tough.

Yes I know, but I use the app for fun. And that makes it fun :P. I'm not good at motivating myself so sticking to a schedule will help me. Perhaps later on it will have become a habit so I don't need the app to continue.

What is diamonds and declines pushups? Gravity is too strong for me to use one-arms ;)

• Like 2

Yes I know, but I use the app for fun. And that makes it fun :P. I'm not good at motivating myself so sticking to a schedule will help me. Perhaps later on it will have become a habit so I don't need the app to continue.

What is diamonds and declines pushups? Gravity is too strong for me to use one-arms ;)

That's cool, man. Motivation is important, and having fun doesn't hurt either.

Diamonds are when you make a "diamond" with your thumbs and index fingers and do the push-ups that way. They work the triceps more than regulars do. And declines are when you have your feet up on something, like a chair. More weight is put on your arms, and your abs are involved more too. They're good for your "upper chest." (Do a little Googling or Youtubing and you're sure to find better and more specific info.)

Neither the diamonds nor the declines are particularly challenging, but I like to do them to change things up a bit and get certain muscles more involved.

One-arms, on the other hand, are hard as hell. But, you know, once you've seen Rocky, you've just gotta do 'em.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1
  • Like 1

Finally starting to get some results. Dropped 2% body fat and gained 2 pounds since the beginning of the summer.

You do mostly free weights?

I do a bit of everything and I cycle my routines quite a bit. Right now I am doing 3 day splits with cardio on off days. My weight routine is all compound lifts with heavy weight/low rep at the start and burn out sets at the end. I do almost no isolation lifts. For cardio I take kick boxing and I run or do elliptical.

I am really just trying to maintain my muscle mass while cutting body fat. Shooting for 12% and am at 14% now. I was surprised to find that I had actually gained weight since my diet is basically a cutting diet.

Diamonds are when you make a "diamond" with your thumbs and index fingers and do the push-ups that way. They work the triceps more than regulars do. And declines are when you have your feet up on something, like a chair. More weight is put on your arms, and your abs are involved more too. They're good for your "upper chest." (Do a little Googling or Youtubing and you're sure to find better and more specific info.)

Neither the diamonds nor the declines are particularly challenging, but I like to do them to change things up a bit and get certain muscles more involved.

One-arms, on the other hand, are hard as hell. But, you know, once you've seen Rocky, you've just gotta do 'em.

I like plyo push ups. I do them as a burnout finisher on push day. Edited by thesweetscience

Still doing 4 miles around the neighborhood till I feel like facing the gym again. I am going to try to break the spell and go tomorrow. Honestly as long as I stay in shape I really don't care but I do miss the sights, sounds and scenery..... :)

I like plyo push ups. I do them as a burnout finisher on push day.

Try body-ups. Wicked tricep exercise. Just Google it to get the idea.

Edited by Mara

Nice, it's like combining a plank and a push-up. I'm going to try these this week.

I can't even take one :eh: :o

Finally got back to the gym this morning for the first time in over a month. I sure felt good. The workout, lovely ladies and the atmosphere. It was glorious. I actually feel good today too which is a miracle it seems for me lately..... :dweez:

It is definitely a good exercise for the triceps but I like exercises that are compound and work multiple muscle groups.

So... "time of the month" has somewhat scuppered my recent success.... my weight has been yoyoing over the past two days by about 3 pounds... it has dropped since yesterday, but I have a pound or so to go til I get back to 153. Edited by LyndseyG

So... "time of the month" has somewhat scuppered my recent success.... my weight has been yoyoing over the past two days by about 3 pounds... it has dropped since yesterday, but I have a pound or so to go til I get back to 153.

Oops. I forgot about that little obstacle in your way each month to mess with you. Its so hard for a woman anyway. My wife is way overweight and has made attempts to lose in the past and gets to frustrated every time and gives up....

So... "time of the month" has somewhat scuppered my recent success.... my weight has been yoyoing over the past two days by about 3 pounds... it has dropped since yesterday, but I have a pound or so to go til I get back to 153.

I wish I could reach 153. The problem is that I have a lot of muscle mass, and I'm too stubborn to just let that go until I can fit into a size zero. I'd rather just build my shape and stay strong while just burning away the excess.

I wish I could reach 153. The problem is that I have a lot of muscle mass, and I'm too stubborn to just let that go until I can fit into a size zero. I'd rather just build my shape and stay strong while just burning away the excess.

Have you been wearing out those workout shoes?