The Counterparts appreciation thread

calirush

One thing I've always liked about CP, tho, is that is it has some of the best final lyrics to any Rush album.
  • Like 2

It's shite. Honestly, I would struggle to put anything from that record on a best of rush compilation. Sure, the production is ok, but the songs??

Animate-ok, at best.

Stick it out-stick it off.

Cut to the chase, stock rock track.

Nobodys Hero- ok but too much verse/chorus/verse.

Between sun and moon, Plodding stock rock track.

Alien shore- alien shite more like and a terribly contrived song with a totally shoed in vocal melody.

Speed of love?? Such irony- it's that slow it's in reverse gear.

Double agent- again, another stock rock song bereft of imagination

Leave that thing alone-ok but hardly in the same class as la villa and yyz.

Cold Fire, ok quirky short song.

Everyday Glory- bridge reminds me of those awful anthemic songs sung by the likes of pop-bands-masquerading-as-rock-bands like bon jovi.

It's just an opinion folks!!

It is just an opinion. It just happens to be the wrong opinion. :yes:

Wrong to you. :codger: I wouldn't be as harsh as Sin City but I find it very dull. Only two good cuts for me but if others like it have a party. I just won't be playing it except for Stick it out and Leave that thing alone. Animate sounds like Neil got out his rhyming dictionary..kind of a mess IMHO

Please, taste is taste, so that's all well and good, we don't all have to like the album, but if your reasoning involves Neil's rhyming scheme, you may as well join the "Rush sucks" crowd; let's face it, a poet he ain't, at least not until the other two guys arrange the songs and take his wordsmith-ship from palatable to sublime if we're lucky. He's a nice guy, more than capable of the occasional profound observation, but like most of us, suffers from the naiveté of his own pretentious predilections (and, yes, that twist of phrase is meant to be ironic) I mean, we're talking about a guy who as recent as this summer still thinks Karl Marx is responsible for the gulag.

Many people enjoy Rush for the lyrics, and it's an important feature of their music to me. The lyrics on CP are among the band's worst...Rutsey era included. Thats one importNt measure Of a song, and it's one reason I think this is their worst album

To me, you sound much more like a member of the "Rush sucks" crowd than fans who appreciate the lyrics generally, but have an issue with a few songs or albums.

As I said to Rhyta above, I was using the Rush sucks analogy to make a point, not saying anyone belongs to - or indeed, "sounds like" they are a member of that group.

As far as me sounding like one: No. I have been a fan longer than the vast majority of folks on this forum, and unlike most of the ones who have been fans for longer, I still like what they are doing. But there are exceptions.

When I was an adolescent listening to 2112 for the first time, I thought the lyrics were the most sophisticated and intelligent. It became what crafted the chip on my shoulder that so many Rush fans have. I know you've heard it:

"Rush fans are the most intelligent and discerning..."

"Neil Peart is the greatest drummer and the most brilliant lyricist..."

I'll spare you the rest of the hyperbole, save to say that I, too, was one of those people. But like the band, I grew up. Even Neil not that long ago admitted that Rush's music would not stand the test of history. I think he went so far as to say that it wasn't great art. I disagree. I think a great deal of their work is great art that stands the test of time.

But the vast majority of the lyrics are not great art. Where they are not, however, they are serviceable towards great art.

I don't need to think that every aspect of Rush is above reproach to think they are a great band. In a certain way, that makes me an even bigger fan. Call it fanaticism minus delusion.

One thing I've always liked about CP, tho, is that is it has some of the best final lyrics to any Rush album.

Me too. Even Nobody's Hero, which I have issues with as a song, is a great lyric.

Me too. Even Nobody's Hero, which I have issues with as a song, is a great lyric.

Especially as one of the stories is about Neil's brush with the Bernardo/Holmolka murderer couple. Jesus.

It was a bit odd at first to me but is now my favorite song on the album. Rush doesn't write "Love" songs so in relation to Rush Nobody's Hero is a masterful ballad.

Edited by calirush
  • Like 1

For anybody complaining about lyrics, try dealing with this.

We're leaving together

But still it's farewell

And maybe we'll come back

To earth, who can tell

I guess there is no one to blame

We're leaving ground (leavin' ground)

Will things ever be the same again?

CHORUS:

It's the final countdown

The final countdown

We're headin' for venus(venus),

And still we stand tall

Cause maybe they've seen us,

And welcome us all, yeah,

With so many light years to go

And things to be found (to be found)

I'm sure that we'll

All miss her so

CHORUS

Final countdown

Oh, oh, oh oh ooohhhh!

(guitar solo)

The final countdown!

Oh, oh!!!

CHORUS

The final countdown(final countdown)

Ooohhhhh!

It's the final countdown

We're leaving together,

The final countdown

We'll all miss her so!

It's the final countdown! (final countdown)

Ooohhhh!

It's the final countdown!

Yeah!

This is "my Rush album". I listened to rush growing up as I have a brother who is ten years older than me, but I was 16 when it came out and it was really the first album that came during my real discovery of Rush. It is stellar from start to finish both in songwriting and sound quality. I can listen to this album non stop(and do!)

I really with more songs would be represented live. I saw them twice on the tour but was bummed and still am to have not heard "cut to the chase", "between sun and moon", and "alien shore"..

I love it so much that the following lyric was printed in our wedding program..

"If the future's looking dark

We're the ones who have to shine

If there's no one in control

We're the ones to draw the line"

"Though we live in trying times

We're the ones who have to try

Though we know that time has wings

We're the ones who have to fly"

Every single person at our wedding commented on how beautiful that passage is.

It's shite. Honestly, I would struggle to put anything from that record on a best of rush compilation. Sure, the production is ok, but the songs??

Animate-ok, at best.

Stick it out-stick it off.

Cut to the chase, stock rock track.

Nobodys Hero- ok but too much verse/chorus/verse.

Between sun and moon, Plodding stock rock track.

Alien shore- alien shite more like and a terribly contrived song with a totally shoed in vocal melody.

Speed of love?? Such irony- it's that slow it's in reverse gear.

Double agent- again, another stock rock song bereft of imagination

Leave that thing alone-ok but hardly in the same class as la villa and yyz.

Cold Fire, ok quirky short song.

Everyday Glory- bridge reminds me of those awful anthemic songs sung by the likes of pop-bands-masquerading-as-rock-bands like bon jovi.

It's just an opinion folks!!

It is just an opinion. It just happens to be the wrong opinion. :yes:

Wrong to you. :codger: I wouldn't be as harsh as Sin City but I find it very dull. Only two good cuts for me but if others like it have a party. I just won't be playing it except for Stick it out and Leave that thing alone. Animate sounds like Neil got out his rhyming dictionary..kind of a mess IMHO

Please, taste is taste, so that's all well and good, we don't all have to like the album, but if your reasoning involves Neil's rhyming scheme, you may as well join the "Rush sucks" crowd; let's face it, a poet he ain't, at least not until the other two guys arrange the songs and take his wordsmith-ship from palatable to sublime if we're lucky. He's a nice guy, more than capable of the occasional profound observation, but like most of us, suffers from the naiveté of his own pretentious predilections (and, yes, that twist of phrase is meant to be ironic) I mean, we're talking about a guy who as recent as this summer still thinks Karl Marx is responsible for the gulag.

Many people enjoy Rush for the lyrics, and it's an important feature of their music to me. The lyrics on CP are among the band's worst...Rutsey era included. Thats one importNt measure Of a song, and it's one reason I think this is their worst album

To me, you sound much more like a member of the "Rush sucks" crowd than fans who appreciate the lyrics generally, but have an issue with a few songs or albums.

As I said to Rhyta above, I was using the Rush sucks analogy to make a point, not saying anyone belongs to - or indeed, "sounds like" they are a member of that group.

As far as me sounding like one: No. I have been a fan longer than the vast majority of folks on this forum, and unlike most of the ones who have been fans for longer, I still like what they are doing. But there are exceptions.

When I was an adolescent listening to 2112 for the first time, I thought the lyrics were the most sophisticated and intelligent. It became what crafted the chip on my shoulder that so many Rush fans have. I know you've heard it:

"Rush fans are the most intelligent and discerning..."

"Neil Peart is the greatest drummer and the most brilliant lyricist..."

I'll spare you the rest of the hyperbole, save to say that I, too, was one of those people. But like the band, I grew up. Even Neil not that long ago admitted that Rush's music would not stand the test of history. I think he went so far as to say that it wasn't great art. I disagree. I think a great deal of their work is great art that stands the test of time.

But the vast majority of the lyrics are not great art. Where they are not, however, they are serviceable towards great art.

I don't need to think that every aspect of Rush is above reproach to think they are a great band. In a certain way, that makes me an even bigger fan. Call it fanaticism minus delusion.

All that makes you sound like one of the "rush sucks" crowd, to me.

We're leaving together

But still it's farewell

To earth, who can tell

CHORUS:

It's the final countdown

The final countdown

And still we stand tall

I'm sure that we'll

All miss her so

CHORUS

Final countdown

Oh, oh, oh oh ooohhhh!

(guitar solo)

The final countdown!

Oh, oh!!!

CHORUS

Ooohhhhh!

It's the final countdown

We're leaving together,

The final countdown

We'll all miss her so!

Ooohhhh!

Yeah!

Can we ban this guy for putting this earworm out there?

We're leaving together

But still it's farewell

To earth, who can tell

CHORUS:

It's the final countdown

The final countdown

And still we stand tall

I'm sure that we'll

All miss her so

CHORUS

Final countdown

Oh, oh, oh oh ooohhhh!

(guitar solo)

The final countdown!

Oh, oh!!!

CHORUS

Ooohhhhh!

It's the final countdown

We're leaving together,

The final countdown

We'll all miss her so!

Ooohhhh!

Yeah!

I see my point got across, maybe people will quit bitchin so much about Peart's lyrics on this album. As far a being banned wouldn't that be ironic? Banned from my own thread?

Edited by calirush

We're leaving together

But still it's farewell

To earth, who can tell

CHORUS:

It's the final countdown

The final countdown

And still we stand tall

I'm sure that we'll

All miss her so

CHORUS

Final countdown

Oh, oh, oh oh ooohhhh!

(guitar solo)

The final countdown!

Oh, oh!!!

CHORUS

Ooohhhhh!

It's the final countdown

We're leaving together,

The final countdown

We'll all miss her so!

Ooohhhh!

Yeah!

I see my point got across, maybe people will quit bitchin so much about Peart's lyrics on this album. As far a being banned wouldn't that be ironic? Banned from my own thread?

Oh, no. It's not entirely the lyrics. It's the excruciatingly memorable keyboard riff that's been resonating in my tortured mind! The lyrics are insipid junior high schlock, yes, but comparing that to Neil's stuff is like comparing Wordsworth to Hallmark cards.

Rhyta I think you should give this album a few more listens. It's a keeper.

Most of the albums took months of off-and-on listens to really enjoy them as a whole.

For me, too.

Although, I've listened to Counterparts enough that I feel safe in saying that I only like four songs from it.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

Most of the albums took months of off-and-on listens to really enjoy them as a whole.

For me, too.

Although, I've listened to Counterparts enough that I feel safe in saying that I only like four songs from it.

Thanks Geddys Mullet, I am in the same boat. I do try to listen all the albums off and on but this one just doesn't click for me like others. But I know one thing, Rush rocks :haz:

• Like 1

For me, too.

Thanks Geddys Mullet, I am in the same boat. I do try to listen all the albums off and on but this one just doesn't click for me like others. But I know one thing, Rush rocks :haz:

^^Yes.^^ This is what I was getting at when I described Counterparts as the album that restored my faith.

From Permanent Waves to Power Windows, the number of listens required for my "getting it" increased. The growing level of challenge presented with each subsequent album, however, and the greater subsequent reward for having embraced that challenge, gave me a greater joy each time I got them.

Not that I'd say each album was better than the one before, just that I felt a kinship with the band, in that I felt like I was growing with them.

For whatever reason, HYF, and moreso, Presto and RtBs, for me, never produced that most-jamming-est qualities of joy that Rush had always provided. So with Counterparts I was like, "Yeah, they're back, baby!" I dare-say that this is a common reaction to the album. Not to belittle anyone who doesn't like it, just that I have often read similar takes.

I'd be interested to know: for those of you who don't like Counterparts, is there another album that represents that "return to form" for you?

Time for the next vid

((vid a coupla frames upward^^))

Holy hella-fire thing-skins!! Not enough can be said about Geddy (and Neil) here, but also if that ain't classic Lerxst-tone which, when you here it, demonstrates just how influential a guitarist he is.

EDITED TO ADD: Y'reckon Neil ever thinks up lyrics to new songs while he's playing the instrumentals;-?

Edited by Ged Lent's sis

I think the main reason I liked it, and the reason I like Vapor Trails as well, is because it's a guitar led album, as opposed to a keyboard led album.

I love 80's Rush, but they were heavy on the keyboards. Counterparts was a return to the early heavy stuff, and I enjoy that.

For me, too.

^^Yes.^^ This is what I was getting at when I described Counterparts as the album that restored my faith.

From Permanent Waves to Power Windows, the number of listens required for my "getting it" increased. The growing level of challenge presented with each subsequent album, however, and the greater subsequent reward for having embraced that challenge, gave me a greater joy each time I got them.

Not that I'd say each album was better than the one before, just that I felt a kinship with the band, in that I felt like I was growing with them.

For whatever reason, HYF, and moreso, Presto and RtBs, for me, never produced that most-jamming-est qualities of joy that Rush had always provided. So with Counterparts I was like, "Yeah, they're back, baby!" I dare-say that this is a common reaction to the album. Not to belittle anyone who doesn't like it, just that I have often read similar takes.

I'd be interested to know: for those of you who don't like Counterparts, is there another album that represents that "return to form" for you?

I believe that for most fans and critics, they see Signals as the beginning of a departure from form that ended with HYF, and Presto as a beginning of the return to form which took a few albums to reach. I don't like Counterparts much because the songs are weak and the lyrics are often cringeworthy. I believe people who do like it just fell in love with the production and sound (both of which are great), and ignored all the flaws. It's the ultimate "style without substance" album for me. I don't hate the album, but it is easily my least favorite one in the catalog.

I think the main reason I liked it, and the reason I like Vapor Trails as well, is because it's a guitar led album, as opposed to a keyboard led album.

I love 80's Rush, but they were heavy on the keyboards. Counterparts was a return to the early heavy stuff, and I enjoy that.

That's exactly what I meant.

I love counterparts. I agree with the 'they're back with guitar driven rock!" sentiments and I love the production of the album; it really stands out as a great album to me.

Time for the next vid

((vid a coupla frames upward^^))

Holy hella-fire thing-skins!! Not enough can be said about Geddy (and Neil) here, but also if that ain't classic Lerxst-tone which, when you here it, demonstrates just how influential a guitarist he is.

EDITED TO ADD: Y'reckon Neil ever thinks up lyrics to new songs while he's playing the instrumentals;-?

At a gig I seriously doubt Peart is thinking about lyrics when he's playing instrumentals. He has to focus and all that. It's not like he can (or even 'should') go on automatic pilot when playing YYZ and whatnot