What RUSH album or song got you hooked?

Think back to the old days. What got you hooked on RUSH? A particular song, and album, a concert, simply good taste? And when?

When I was a silly youth of 11, I listened to pop radio and Casey Casum's Top 40. I remember hearing this song that I just got hooked on and that started my obsession with Rush. It was New World Man and I will never forget how incredible I thought it was the first time I heard it and still do today.

I told this story a little bit on the Geddy's vocals thread, but I grew up with Rush. At first I used to make fun of my dad playing it because I always called Geddy, "that girly man" but then I stole my dad's Walkman when I was six or so and I just listened to Tom Sawyer over and over and over. :LOL: Needless to say I fell in love right then and there.

I remember when Test for Echo and Different Stages came out - they kept getting played in the car. My dad kept the discs in our 1990 Toyota Corolla.

In conclusion: Tom Sawyer. Soon after, YYZ. I also remember getting hooked on Hemispheres.

Okay I'm done. :P

Back in the Dark Ages, around 1984 or so, Distant Early Warning did it for me. It was a bad year and that song kept me going.

I just wanted to add that I liked them before that, but you asked what song or album got us hooked. DEW (hahahaha) did it for me.

Back in the Dark Ages, around 1984 or so, Distant Early Warning did it for me. It was a bad year and that song kept me going.

I just wanted to add that I liked them before that, but you asked what song or album got us hooked. DEW (hahahaha) did it for me.

that i did

Edited by NaturalScientist75

Xanadu. I was in a band when I was about 18 or so and the drummer put that song on over the PA. I was blown away. I had him play it after practice every time after that.

It was around 1976, I was at a friends house partaking of illegal herbal substances, and he said "you're a drummer, right!?" So he played Working man the whole way through from ATWAS, and I was HOOKED! I went home and the next day asked my mother for the "Columbia House" catalog, and found the album...so I had her order that, and Caress of Steel, (the only two Rush albums they had listed) and I was HOOKED!

When they came in the mail, I put side one of ATWAS on and played it the whole way to the end of side four, then I played Caress of Steel start to finish, and from that point on, my life was changed!

I did not really get into music until highscool. I remember hearing Show Dont Tell on the radio as a kid as my sisters (all older) listened to the radio a lot. Then in highschool I started hanging out with my sisters boyfriend, and we drove around a lot. He had permament Waves and Moving Pictures in his car. I really got into them. Shortly after, I was at a friends house and she had Exit Stage Left. I asked her if I could borrow it. After getting home and putting it on, I listened to it many times. And that was it. I was hooked for life. Within a few days i had every cassette to date. That changed my life, and the boys continue to do so in new ways to date. There has not and will never be a band like them. After all the incredible music and concerts they have given me, it is I who owes them.

If they play it, we will come!

Edited by NaturalScientist75

I started liking Rush in spring 1982 on MTV when I first heard "Vital Signs" (thinking it was a new Supertramp tune). "Subdivisions" really grabbed me when I first saw it premiere on MTV. When I got "Signals" that Christmas is when I became hooked.

My love of Rush wasn't an overnight infatuation, I came to their music in stages. Knew of them in the 70's, thought it was funny when Geddy did Take off with the MacKenzie Brothers. My sister was the rabid fan then. Skip ahead to 2002 and I meet a friend who loves them and goes to several concerts each time they do a tour. I listen to them on a trip with her and think they are ok. R30 tour, take my sister to it as a birthday present. Really impressed with their cover songs since they all were part of my teen years (yeah I am an oldie but a goodie). Buy Feedback at the concert and enjoy listening to it but don't do much listening otherwise. 2011 New Year's see Beyond the Lighted Stage on VH1 and was so impressed with the guys, liked the tune they played when Neil was riding his motorcycle ( :yes: I also like VT). Get out an ipod I found and listen to Subdivisions. I was hooked. Went on to fall in love with GUP and listened over and over. Joined this board not long after that and the rest is history. Clockwork Angels is my second fav, just listened to the whole thing today again. Can't wait for the end of July to get here :rush: :yay:
  • Like 2

Back in St. Louis, every Friday night at 7:45 they played In the Mood on the radio station KSHE 95. That song was my introduction to Rush. I think I was really hooked on La Villa, though. I listened to that on my headphones before bed every night for about 1 year straight. I still love that song today, decades later!!!
  • Like 1

It took me a long time to get hooked on all of Rush. I first loved Ghost of a Chance, and that got me into the entire album. At the same time, Chronicles came out and I fell in love with the Zeppelesque stuff. I like the whole first disc and the second until "Subdivisions", but I never got deeper into the catalog. A friend gave me 2112 3 years later, and I fell in love. I quickly added FBM, Cos, aFtK, Hemispheres, and then PeM and MP. I played them non-stop and forced my friends to listen, or learn to play the songs. Over the next years I added CP and Subdivisions, but really stopped after CP. I didn't get interested again until I got GuP, PoW and T4E for a dollar on the streets of Shanghai (I'm sure they were legal). After that, I immediately had to have everything and was completely hooked. It was both sudden and 12 years in the making.
  • Like 1

YYZ back in 2008.

My dad is a fanatic, and has every Rush-related medium known to man. One day he played Moving Pictures on a long car ride, saying he wanted to introduce me to the "greatest band there ever could be."

So Tom Sawyer comes on. Okay, that's interesting.

Red Barchetta. I actually didn't like this song up until maybe a year ago, so I was unimpressed. "Dad, can we turn it off?"

And right when I said that, the chimes to YYZ came on just as he shut it off.

"Wait a sec. Turn it back on—what was that one with the chimes?"

The rest is history, and YYZ remains my favorite song to this day.

• Like 1

'All The World's A Stage'. Late fall 1976. After school, hanging with a friend. He was playing some new LPs and we had just finished Uriah Heep's live album. I was looking at the huge drum kit on the cover and he said "oh man, you have to hear this band". After 'Bastille Day' I was hooked! He "burned" (LOL) me a copy onto an 8 track tape and I went home and wore it out! I was 14 years old. Edited by mandydog
  • Like 1

I've been lurking on these boards for ever, this is my first post. As a teenager I saw Rush open for Kiss at the Michigan Palace in Detroit. Then at some point I heard Circumstances on WRIF Detroit's classic Rock station. It seriously blew me away and I have loved Rush ever since. Rock on! :dweez:
  • Like 5