most UNDERRATED guitarists in rock

bathory

exactly, the dude's great, and even people who know him sometimes don't even know that he plays guitar

many people here would probably enjoy THE OBSESSED, they're not too scary I think

yeah I dig chandler's style way more, iommi's the pioneer responsible for chandler, but chandler mixes in greg ginn (another underrated axeman around these parts) and some other 70s hard rock influences, more distortion too, plus he's heavier and doomier

yeah I dig chandler's style way more, iommi's the pioneer responsible for chandler, but chandler mixes in greg ginn (another underrated axeman around these parts) and some other 70s hard rock influences, more distortion too, plus he's heavier and doomier

Wow, that Greg Ginn comparison is spot on. Side 2 of My War had to be an influence to Dave. Love his "solos" too- complete abuse of the wah!
  • Like 1

Wow, that Greg Ginn comparison is spot on. Side 2 of My War had to be an influence to Dave. Love his "solos" too- complete abuse of the wah!

yes, for those paying attention greg ginn from BLACK FLAG is excellent, he's the punk rock equivalent of john mclaughlin

I've always felt Brian May and Alex Lifeson were underrated.
  • Like 6

Martin Barre is tragically underrated, imo.
  • Like 3

This is a no brainer for me: Marc Ford, lead guitarist for The Black Crowes during their classic period. A dirtier sounding Mick Taylor with breathtaking tone.

I agree with GeddyRulz that Alex Lifeson is underrated by the larger community. (Hell, I've been guilty of pointing at him as the weak link in Rush, but I'm a fool when I do.) Same goes for Steve Howe and Steve Hackett. They are not underrated by true music enthusiasts, but in the grand scheme of things all three are underrated.

I also want to mention Dicky Betts, who for decades has had to live in Duane's shadow. The drink ruined Dickey, it seems, but he is (was?) an exceptional lead player.

Finally, I'm a big fan of Mike Campbell. Not a guitar god, per se, but underrated IMHO.

Oh wait, one more: Joe Platania from Van Morrison's Caledonia Soul Orchestra. No one seems to know him, but he is a brilliant guitarist.

• Like 2

The Edge - I know some will say his stuff is easy to play, but so what? His innovative and creative style is a major reason why U2 is one of the biggest rock bands ever, and for that, he deserves a ton of credit.
  • Like 4

The Edge - I know some will say his stuff is easy to play, but so what? His innovative and creative style is a major reason why U2 is one of the biggest rock bands ever, and for that, he deserves a ton of credit.

The Edge needs to thank Keith Levene, Tom Verlaine and the guy from A Flock of Seagulls.