No offense, but the RRHOF is a joke!

nhlrush

So we learned that John Rutsey will not be inducted with Geddy, Alex & Neil into the RRHOF on April 18....

First off, I wasn't even aware that the actual individuals get inducted, I thought it was just the actual group....

I mean, these aren't ball players going into the baseball hall of fame in cooperstown....

I could understand not having Rutsey up there with Geddy, Alex & Neil if he was alive....I mean he was only in the group for a short time AFTER the first album was released...

But since Rutsey has passed away, wouldn't it be just a nice gesture to include him....

Why ignore the history of Rush.....

no matter what you think of Rutsey, drumming or otherwise, when you flip over the first album cover, there he is....and in fact, he was a member of Rush before Geddy. Don't forget that Jeff Jones was the actual orginal bass player for Rush....

But since Jeff Jones was only in the band a really short time, in 1968, its understandable that he really wasn't a member of rush per se....

But Rutsey was, he played all those shows at school dances, bars and small clubs.....and its great that there is film footage of him introducing the band...

Imagine Neil with a mic behind the drum kit introducing the guys?

I have always been a rush fan who was glad they were ignored by the RRHOF, I always thought the whole thing was silly, based mostly on the non rock musical entities in there....

I appreciate the fact that Rush is being very good sports about the whole thing and yes, they are happy for the fans who care about it, but i bet you deep down they are just being nice canadian boys.....rush doesn't need some RRHOF induction to validate their place in music history...

• Like 2

So we learned that John Rutsey will not be inducted with Geddy, Alex & Neil into the RRHOF on April 18....

First off, I wasn't even aware that the actual individuals get inducted, I thought it was just the actual group....

I mean, these aren't ball players going into the baseball hall of fame in cooperstown....

I could understand not having Rutsey up there with Geddy, Alex & Neil if he was alive....I mean he was only in the group for a short time AFTER the first album was released...

But since Rutsey has passed away, wouldn't it be just a nice gesture to include him....

Why ignore the history of Rush.....

no matter what you think of Rutsey, drumming or otherwise, when you flip over the first album cover, there he is....and in fact, he was a member of Rush before Geddy. Don't forget that Jeff Jones was the actual orginal bass player for Rush....

But since Jeff Jones was only in the band a really short time, in 1968, its understandable that he really wasn't a member of rush per se....

But Rutsey was, he played all those shows at school dances, bars and small clubs.....and its great that there is film footage of him introducing the band...

Imagine Neil with a mic behind the drum kit introducing the guys?

I have always been a rush fan who was glad they were ignored by the RRHOF, I always thought the whole thing was silly, based mostly on the non rock musical entities in there....

I appreciate the fact that Rush is being very good sports about the whole thing and yes, they are happy for the fans who care about it, but i bet you deep down they are just being nice canadian boys.....rush doesn't need some RRHOF induction to validate their place in music history...

I agree with you 100 percent.

This changes everything now that Rush is in the RRHOF. They will no longer be our "personal band" sorta speak. They will now join the ranks of Rolling Stones and Aerosmith.

People that never gave a rats ass about Rush before will all of a sudden like them. Will be more people (not genuine fans) going to their shows. Jacking up ticket prices!

Personaly, I think Rush should do the right thing and turn down this stupid induction. They have said it in the past that the RRHOF mean nothing to them.

• Like 3

No offense, but the RRHOF is a joke!

I completely agree w/ you.

The R&R HoF is a joke, ... well, because it's a joke.

All one has to do is to look at the inductee list to see who is on it, but perhaps more relevantly who is not, which up until recently included Rush altho this has zero to do w/ that little ditty.

But here's why it's a joke, ... from Wiki ...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation was created on April 20, 1983, by Atlantic Records founder and chairman Ahmet Ertegun. He assembled a team that included attorney Suzan Evans, Rolling Stone magazine editor and publisher Jann S. Wenner, attorney Allen Grubman and record executives Seymour Stein, Bob Krasnow and Noreen Woods.

It's an establishment organization, and when such a narrow focus (per below) is applied to determine the inductees, well, again, it renders itself to the level of a joke, literally, all but a punch-line.

Here is an excerpt from Wiki;

The most frequent criticism of the Hall of Fame is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals who are not themselves musicians, such as founder Jann Wenner (who has filled the position of managing editor for Rolling Stone magazine), former foundation director Suzan Evans, and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole.

There's a lot more about the criticism aspects of it at this link; http://en.wikipedia...._Hall_of_Fame��

I quite honestly did not know all of this prior to researching it as to who was in it when I could not imagine for the life of me Rush not having made it at least a decade ago. When I stumbled upon the above, it wasn't exactly an epiphany as to why that was the case.

Plain and simple, it's essentially a hobby for a few individuals that are terminally full of themselves. ... not my kind of people.

Edited by Wingmaster

No offense taken. Really. None.

thank goodness, I was a bit worried....

but....good one....i should have not Have said NO OFFENSE, and just said

THE RRHOF IS A JOKE!

and it is.....

I always enjoyed Rush as the ultimate underdog....

• Like 1

This changes everything now that Rush is in the RRHOF. They will no longer be our "personal band" sorta speak. They will now join the ranks of Rolling Stones and Aerosmith.

People that never gave a rats ass about Rush before will all of a sudden like them. Will be more people (not genuine fans) going to their shows. Jacking up ticket prices!

Personaly, I think Rush should do the right thing and turn down this stupid induction. They have said it in the past that the RRHOF mean nothing to them.

Not sure about the ticket prices hike, they are what the market will bear right now, I don't think that the demand will expand significantly. It's not as if Rush just came on the scene, eh.

As Geddy said tho, anytime that someone wants to honor you, you should accept it graciously. I think that deep down they just don't care, but he's right, anytime someone wants to honor you and your achievements, unless it's a really controversial group doing the honoring and one with which association may not be a good thing, you graciously accept. I'm sure they'll be a lot more excited about their fans in attendance than w/ the honor itself, or so is my guess.

Not sure about the ticket prices hike, they are what the market will bear right now, I don't think that the demand will expand significantly. It's not as if Rush just came on the scene, eh.

As Geddy said tho, anytime that someone wants to honor you, you should accept it graciously. I think that deep down they just don't care, but he's right, anytime someone wants to honor you and your achievements, unless it's a really controversial group doing the honoring and one with which association may not be a good thing, you graciously accept. I'm sure they'll be a lot more excited about their fans in attendance than w/ the honor itself, or so is my guess.

Ahh, watch out with that common sense, friend. It doesn't go down very well around here! :LOL:

• Like 1

Ahh, watch out with that common sense, friend. It doesn't go down very well around here! :LOL:

Funny how that works, common sense seems to have gotten the short end of the stick in just about all forums of varying sorts.

You're right. For "around here," read "the internet." ;)

Edited by GeddysMullet

DUDE! You just came up with the perfect RUSH + PE mix!

HoF is a Joke!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HoF is a JOKE!

C'mon c'mon!

Actually I'd be more like:

So get up, get, get get down

RRHOF is a joke in yo town

Get up, get, get, get down

Late RRHOF wears the late crown

Ow, ow RRHOF is a joke

DUDE! You just came up with the perfect RUSH + PE mix!

HoF is a Joke!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HoF is a JOKE!

C'mon c'mon!

aren't you supposed to be questioning why this thread is still going? LOL.....

wings are hanging on to that 8th spot by a thread.....

is it snowing in MI??? pouring in NYC....

Yeah, I always laugh when I see a particular industry, or segment of history, give out awards to some of their own, just to build up the group and to give them a resume'. It is no different than "employee of the month" or some safety award that your company invents to make their employees feel good. To hell with all of that. The only thing that matters is how much money one made in his/her career.

I kind of agree with you. I just discovered Rush a few years ago and have fallen so in love with them.

Now days I hear their songs in commercials, see annoying pop stars wearing their shirts, etc...

The secret is obviously out. I am envious of those of you who've had more time to keep them as your little secret. I think that soon there will be a lot of people who start to give them the attention that's been heaped on other bands for so long while they've been ignored.

Oh well...

• Like 1

One great thing that hopefully Rush being inducted will finally accomplish is it will stop everyone from whining about how they should turn down the award. That's such a tired argument. It will never happen, and it was never going to happen.

Yes, the RRHOF is full of shit, but them inducting Rush is a step towards legitimacy. There are about 7-10 bands left that need to get in for them to achieve full legitimacy. And whether the RRHOF is cool or not, it does give Rush some much deserved props by an organization that people take seriously - whether or not the RRHOF deserves that respect is a whole other matter, but perception is everything in the entertainment industry. I'm ecstatic that Rush is getting this kind of recognition. The fact that they were easily voted in (and were the number one fan vote) the first time the nominating committee got off their ass and nominated them shows that they have a tremendous amount of support and respect, and that's what really matters.

• Like 1

One great thing that hopefully Rush being inducted will finally accomplish is it will stop everyone from whining about how they should turn down the award. That's such a tired argument. It will never happen, and it was never going to happen.

Yes, the RRHOF is full of shit, but them inducting Rush is a step towards legitimacy. There are about 7-10 bands left that need to get in for them to achieve full legitimacy. And whether the RRHOF is cool or not, it does give Rush some much deserved props by an organization that people take seriously - whether or not the RRHOF deserves that respect is a whole other matter, but perception is everything in the entertainment industry. I'm ecstatic that Rush is getting this kind of recognition. The fact that they were easily voted in (and were the number one fan vote) the first time the nominating committee got off their ass and nominated them shows that they have a tremendous amount of support and respect, and that's what really matters.

Even if those 7-10 bands get in, RRHOF will never achieve full legitimacy. :)

I kind of agree with you. I just discovered Rush a few years ago and have fallen so in love with them.

Now days I hear their songs in commercials, see annoying pop stars wearing their shirts, etc...

The secret is obviously out. I am envious of those of you who've had more time to keep them as your little secret. I think that soon there will be a lot of people who start to give them the attention that's been heaped on other bands for so long while they've been ignored.

Oh well...

Is this not a bit hypocritical?

Hey, Rush showed up for their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, why not the RRHOF? They are being the polite and gracious men they were raised to be. No big deal they accepted the dubious "honor". Crank Permanent Waves and move on...

For the years leading up to this, it has been all hand-wringing, crying, and sour grapes about Rush not getting in, not to mention who did get in instead. Now we have those crying and wringing their hands about how Rush should refuse the honor. And if that weren't enough, we actually have a contingent who are upset that John Rutsey isn't included, as if the drumming on the first album was what really got them to where they are.

It will be nice once this is all over, and people can just go back to bitching about the setlist.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 3

Oh well...

Is this not a bit hypocritical?

Why would it be?

• Like 1

Yes,, the hall is a joke... some of the "rock 'n roll" bands and artists (Madonna, Donna Summer and Beastie Boys) that have been inducted is proof. But, even if Rush really wanted to tell them to shove it in their ass, they couldn't do that. Doing so would be the most ridiculous and arrogant thing imaginable. The guys in Rush are Canadians and we Canadians are polite by nature. Besides, only about 1% of Rush's fans would even understand why they would tell them to stick it. How could that be a good thing?
  • Like 1