"Best friends" banned by some schools in the UK

laughedatbytime

Teachers are banning schoolkids from having best pals — so they don’t get upset by fall-outs.

Instead, the primary pupils are being encouraged to play in large groups.

Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.

She added: “I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn’t have a best friend and that everyone should play together.

“They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain because they’re learning to deal with it.”

Russell Hobby, of the National Association of Head Teachers, confirmed some schools were adopting best-friend bans.

He said: “I don’t think it is widespread but it is clearly happening. It seems bizarre.

“I don’t see how you can stop people from forming close friendships. We make and lose friends throughout our lives.” The Campaign for Real Education, which wants more parental choice in state education, said the “ridiculous” policy was robbing children of their childhood.

Spokesman Chris McGovern added: “Children take things very seriously and if you tell them they can’t have a best friend it can be seriously damaging to them. They need to learn about relationships.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4203460/Schools-ban-children-making-best-friends.html#ixzz2O82n9RB9

:facepalm: :wtf:

Bureaucrats are the lowest forms of life known to man. :facepalm: :facepalm:

....and it looks like the UK has taken a step towards THX1138.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

If this crap went into law 50 years ago here? There'd be no Facebook

Don't try to make this look like a good thing. :)

• Like 3

Stupid bullshit. Kids should never be taught to ride a bicycle either because they might fall.

I'd love to see the poster/ad promoting this trash: 2 little 7 year olds smiling and laughing as they sit in the school cafeteria having lunch together..A GIANT RED 'X' COVERING THE SCENE with the caption "Just say 'no' to best friends"

• Like 3

If this crap went into law 50 years ago here? There'd be no Facebook

Don't try to make this look like a good thing. :)

Yeah what was I thinking? SSSSStupid me! http://cdn.tuvez.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ren_hoek_by_kurosama_76-d33njyt-e1300716043769.jpg

In 40-60 years the average IQ will likely be 50 thanks to stupid things politicians are doing now, AND those people will be running the country! In the future men will only be allowed to put on zipper pants at 21 years because they'll be old enough not to get their junk caught in the zipper.

Sadly and ironically, two of Britain's most celebrated writers, Aldous Huxley and George Orwell, warned us all about this very same lunacy.

Discouraging/Banning individual relationships is one large step towards the realization of Huxley and Orwell's dystopias.

• Like 1

Sadly and ironically, two of Britain's most celebrated writers, Aldous Huxley and George Orwell, warned us all about this very same lunacy.

Discouraging/Banning individual relationships is one large step towards the realization of Huxley and Orwell's dystopias.

In a pessimistic (and somewhat realistic) point of view, we've already been in a dystopia for quite some time now.

I mean yes, it probably is healthier to have more friends than less... but that's really a lesson kids have to learn on their own.

So dumb.

I'm not so sure that "more is better". It's been my experience that having a small group of close friends is far better than having a large group of not-so-close friends. I'd rather have a few best friends than a hundred casual friends/acquaintences. You can count on the close group; not so much with the other group.

And besides, it's impossible to be friends with everybody. There's just not enough time in the day..... :eh:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

This reminds me of sports events:

About two or three years back, the teachers said that the kids are 'not allowed to lose', that if one child is in the lead, he or she has to 'slow down so that the others can catch up'.

Honestly...

• Like 1

Meanwhile, back in the good old US of A...

IPSWICH, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – An Ipswich principal is in hot water with some parents after he reportedly canceled the middle school's Honors Night.

David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents of his plan to eliminate the school's Honors Night last week.

"The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients' families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade point average," Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

Parents say they feel he is bringing down the education system; however, Fabrizio says he plans to include the honors ceremony with a previously planned end of the year assembly where students will be recognized in front of the entire student body.

In a follow-up letter, Fabrizio attempted to explain that he has "no intention of bringing down American education."

In fact, Fabrizio, coming from a coaching background, believes competitive environments are healthy and necessary, but he feels everyone should be included.

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21724149/2013/03/19/principal-cancels-honors-night-in-ipswich#ixzz2ON4j5gqR