Is "Dark Side Of The Moon" Really The Greatest Pink Floyd Album Of All Time?

RUSHHEAD666

"Dark Side Of The Moon" Is The Brightest Album Of Pink Floyd's Career?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" Is Their Greatest Album Of All Time!

• Hell Yes!
    • No Way! I have typed in my all time favorite Pink Floyd album below...................

I love Piper, but the nursery rhyme feel to some of the songs, while they're cute and clever, they grate after a while. No denying the sonic genius of Interstellar Overdrive & Astronomy Domine though.

Dark Side is just a killing machine. Even after 40 years, it's lost one of it's potency. Mind you, I still think Money doesn't belong in it. But what do I know.

Hey my brother! As you might know I just went through a big Pink Floyd Phase. I listened to "Dark Side" like 5 nights in a row. I don't even listen to a Rush album like that!

"Dark Side" never gets old. I love listening to different pressings because you can always find something that you have never heard before.

It's obviously one of the greatest albums ever made in the universe.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I love Piper, but the nursery rhyme feel to some of the songs, while they're cute and clever, they grate after a while. No denying the sonic genius of Interstellar Overdrive & Astronomy Domine though.

Dark Side is just a killing machine. Even after 40 years, it's lost one of it's potency. Mind you, I still think Money doesn't belong in it. But what do I know.

Hey my brother! As you might know I just went through a big Pink Floyd Phase. I listened to "Dark Side" like 5 nights in a row. I don't even listen to a Rush album like that!

"Dark Side" never gets old. I love listening to different pressings because you can always find something that you have never heard before.

It's obviously one of the greatest albums ever made in the universe.

Cheers!

I think The Great Gig in the Sky maybe one of the finest recordings. Ever. I love the final chord bend.

TDSOTM endures. And yes, Money is massively overplayed, but it does belong. That's one of the gems on the album, imo.

:cheers:

HAPPY 40th Dark Side!!!!!

From NPR...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/03/02/173272509/pink-floyds-dark-side-40-years-later?ft=1&f=100920965

BOB BOILEN: Back in 1972, I worked in record stores in Rockville, Md., and a huge Pink Floyd fan. They were coming to the Kennedy Center, and I was totally, totally psyched. My hair was down on my shoulders, much like the band members. I'd give anything to have that hair back.

They came out and performed this piece of music. Everybody in the audience, no doubt, their jaws just dropped. You had no idea what it was — and you have to understand, in 1972, if you don't know what it is, there's nowhere to look it up. It was like, "OK, when am I ever going to hear this amazing music again?"

It was nearly a year later. The truck that was carrying that record, I knew where it was gonna show up so I could get the record, like, four hours earlier than I would have had I waited for it to come to the store I worked in.

ROBIN HILTON: I was probably 12 years old, and I was with a friend who had brought the record over. We were playing chess, and it just blew my little mind.

I remember the song "Time." I can't tell you how many college roommates I awakened in the middle of the night by blasting the alarm clocks going off. There's this line in the song "Time" that still resonates with me today. I still think of it all the time, it says, "You're young and life is long and there's time to kill today." Boy, the older I get, that sure turns out to be true.

It was so crazy to imagine how they could even pull this off; technically, how could they create these sounds? We're hearing so much crazy stuff now in music and nobody gives it any thought — because you can do anything now, right? But when I listen to Dark Side of the Moon now, 40 years later, it still sounds fresh.

• Like 1

HAPPY 40th Dark Side!!!!!

From NPR...

http://www.npr.org/b...t=1&f=100920965

BOB BOILEN: Back in 1972, I worked in record stores in Rockville, Md., and a huge Pink Floyd fan. They were coming to the Kennedy Center, and I was totally, totally psyched. My hair was down on my shoulders, much like the band members. I'd give anything to have that hair back.

They came out and performed this piece of music. Everybody in the audience, no doubt, their jaws just dropped. You had no idea what it was — and you have to understand, in 1972, if you don't know what it is, there's nowhere to look it up. It was like, "OK, when am I ever going to hear this amazing music again?"

It was nearly a year later. The truck that was carrying that record, I knew where it was gonna show up so I could get the record, like, four hours earlier than I would have had I waited for it to come to the store I worked in.

ROBIN HILTON: I was probably 12 years old, and I was with a friend who had brought the record over. We were playing chess, and it just blew my little mind.

I remember the song "Time." I can't tell you how many college roommates I awakened in the middle of the night by blasting the alarm clocks going off. There's this line in the song "Time" that still resonates with me today. I still think of it all the time, it says, "You're young and life is long and there's time to kill today." Boy, the older I get, that sure turns out to be true.

It was so crazy to imagine how they could even pull this off; technically, how could they create these sounds? We're hearing so much crazy stuff now in music and nobody gives it any thought — because you can do anything now, right? But when I listen to Dark Side of the Moon now, 40 years later, it still sounds fresh.

I heard that this morning while listening to NPR. It was wonderful! Great link, goose! :cheers:

For me WYWH by a comfortable margin. Musically spectacular with perhaps Rick's best work. Dark Side and Animals tied for second, The Wall and Meddle tied for third, Pipers and Umma tied for fourth.

Dark Side Of The Moon was the first CD I had ever bought (along with Moving Pictures and Led Zeppelin IV). This was way back in the early 80's, when The Wall was still the focus of the Pink Floyd Universe.

For me, Dark Side Of The Moon is flawless. There is not one part of the album that this listener thinks could be improved. I can't say that about the other albums.

• Like 2

Dark Side Of The Moon was the first CD I had ever bought (along with Moving Pictures and Led Zeppelin IV). This was way back in the early 80's, when The Wall was still the focus of the Pink Floyd Universe.

For me, Dark Side Of The Moon is flawless. There is not one part of the album that this listener thinks could be improved. I can't say that about the other albums.

Same here. TDSOTM was purchase number one on CD (along with Signals) as it was for most of us early CD adopters. The clarity was mind boggling on CD. :cheers:

Animals

Meddle

Wish You Were Here

(DSotM fits somewhere after these)

I will say this, I think it's the most perfect rock album ever produced...just not my favorite.

Edited by tjtull

The Wall. come on how is this even a contest?

I actually rank The Wall 10th among Floyd albums!

1. The Dark Side of the Moon

2. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (fights for #1 position)

3. A Saucerful of Secrets

4. Meddle

5. Atom Heart Mother

6. Animals

7. Ummagumma

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

12. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

To be fair, I think The Wall is brilliant, genius even. That said, I find it too depressing to actually listen to in its entirety, and I've felt that way for many years. Even though it probably deserves to be rated significantly higher (would have been #1 or #2 in my late teens/early 20's), I'm basing my ratings on what I'm actually most apt to listen to. An album can be really great, but if I never want to actually listen to it, it's hard to rank it that highly.

Edited by rushgoober

4. Meddle

5. Atom Heart Mother

6. Animals

7. Ummagumma

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

To be fair, I think The Wall is brilliant, genius even. That said, I find it too depressing to actually listen to in its entirety, and I've felt that way for many years. Even though it probably deserves to be rated significantly higher (would have been #1 or #2 in my late teens/early 20's), I'm basing my ratings on what I'm actually most apt to listen to. An album can be really great, but if I never want to actually listen to it, it's hard to rank it that highly.

Good list, although Wish You Were Here is way too low ;)

As for The Wall, I have found that the movie soundtrack is much more enjoyable to listen to and far less depressing. The songs are somehow more vibrant, maybe due to the extra sound effects. Also, there are some changes on disc one that make Pink a more sympathetic character. Also, What Shall We Do Now? rules! :haz:

I'm currently making pancakes and listening to Dark Side, :smoke: . At this particular moment, I'm going to say yes, yes it is their greatest album.

But ask me tomorrow and I might instead reply with Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, Animals, or Wish You Were Here.

4. Meddle

5. Atom Heart Mother

6. Animals

7. Ummagumma

8. Wish You Were Here

9. More

10. The Wall

11. Obscured By Clouds

13. The Division Bell

14. The Final Cut

Good list, although Wish You Were Here is way too low ;)

I agree, but that's really a testament to how great PF were, that I could rate an amazing album like WYWH in 8th place! Of course for most mortal groups, it would be their magnum opus.