Tai Shan

DoubleAgent420

Last night I heard this song and for the first time it really clicked for me. It's so amazing.... so atmospheric and soothing. Truly one of Rush's best moments.

Oh, DA...we'll get flamed for sure...

But I love Tai Shan, too. smile.gif

You're right, DoubleAgent420, it's one of those songs that could take ten years until it finally "clicks." For me, it took a particular state of mind, like I had a hole that that song just plugged up perfectly; and since then I have a completely new appreciation for it.

I've said this somewhere else, but that mandolin (or whatever instrument it is) riff at the end could go on for all eternity, as far as I'm concerned, and I'd never stop feeling good with it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 28 2005, 11:03 AM)
Maybe I'm in the minority, and no offense if the song is personally meaningful for you, but High Water and Tai Shan to me keep HYF from being a perfect album - I think they're really sub-standard for Rush...

I think that's how it is with songs like Tai Shan and Highwater... You either love them or hate them. I've always liked Highwater (not as much as Tai Shan now though), but I didn't like Tai Shan when I first heard it. So for the longest time I just skipped over it whenever I gave HYF a listen.

Then I finally gave it a few more listens, and I really like it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jun 28 2005, 10:21 AM)
For me, it took a particular state of mind, like I had a hole that that song just plugged up perfectly; and since then I have a completely new appreciation for it.

Well said. That's pretty much how it went for me! I've always liked it but now I see it in a new light.

I really like the guitar work by Alex in this one. It really captures the mood of being at the top of those stairs looking out at that landscape. I would like to see that view myself someday.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jun 28 2005, 09:21 AM)
You're right, DoubleAgent420, it's one of those songs that could take ten years until it finally "clicks." For me, it took a particular state of mind, like I had a hole that that song just plugged up perfectly; and since then I have a completely new appreciation for it.
I've said this somewhere else, but that mandolin (or whatever instrument it is) riff at the end could go on for all eternity, as far as I'm concerned, and I'd never stop feeling good with it.

I feel the same way. It's funny how Rush always had a way of closing a song so that it just keeps on resonating through your soul long after it is finished. A lot of times when I listen to them I'm inclined to stop the cd player for a few minutes until I come down from the emotional high of the previous song. When a Rush song is over, it's never really over.

QUOTE (Sark @ Jun 28 2005, 02:12 PM)
I really like the guitar work by Alex in this one. It really captures the mood of being at the top of those stairs looking out at that landscape. I would like to see that view myself someday.

goodpost.gif Me too!

I think it's fine
I like the song placement as well,it sets up High Water nicely.
It is this tandem ending that pushes HYF into the upper echelon of Rush albums for me.

wow! and for me, these are the two songs that KEEP hyf from the upper echelon of Rush albums (honestly though, the rest of it is SO good that it's still way up there for me, but these two songs keep it from being even higher)!

Just goes to show you how subective all of this is!

Peace,

Goober

trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 30 2005, 10:45 AM)
I've only listened to this song once. I'm not even sure I got all the way through it before pushing the NEXT TRACK button, which unfortunately takes you to "High Water." tongue.gif

Boo hiss....

tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 30 2005, 11:47 AM)
I've only listened to this song once. I'm not even sure I got all the way through it before pushing the NEXT TRACK button, which unfortunately takes you to "High Water."  tongue.gif

Boo hiss....

tongue.gif

I'm just glad they stuck those two songs at the end, so you can stop after "Turn The Page." Oh wait, except for the solo, that song isn't too great either....fine, the album ends at "Mission." wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 30 2005, 10:52 AM)
I've only listened to this song once. I'm not even sure I got all the way through it before pushing the NEXT TRACK button, which unfortunately takes you to "High Water."  tongue.gif

Boo hiss....

tongue.gif

I'm just glad they stuck those two songs at the end, so you can stop after "Turn The Page." Oh wait, except for the solo, that song isn't too great either....fine, the album ends at "Mission." wink.gif

Bless your heart, numbah one...tell you what you do: after a grueling session of the HYF experience, pop in Presto, sit back and relax with "Anagram (for Mongo)."

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 30 2005, 10:55 AM)
I've only listened to this song once. I'm not even sure I got all the way through it before pushing the NEXT TRACK button, which unfortunately takes you to "High Water." tongue.gif

Boo hiss....

tongue.gif

Bless your heart, numbah one...tell you what you do: after a grueling session of the HYF experience, pop in Presto, sit back and relax with "Anagram (for Mongo)."

biggrin.gif

yes.gif I love Anagram. That might be my favorite song on Presto. trink39.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 30 2005, 11:55 AM)

Boo hiss....

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but that! scared.gif

"There's tic toc in atomic." No, Neil...there's no go in "Mongo."

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jun 30 2005, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 30 2005, 10:55 AM)

Boo hiss....

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

yes.gif I love Anagram. That might be my favorite song on Presto. trink39.gif

Yeah, don't be dissin' "Anagram (for Mongo)." dazed025.gif

tongue.gif But it is a cool song. Clever too.

Archived