Help requested.

Shinboner

I have joined the Forum here in the hope that the good people who reside here might be able to assist me with the choice of a song or two. A dear friend of mine tragically passed away last week at the all too tender age of 43. The music of Rush was a huge part of his life. Now, I confess, I know very little about Rush. Sorry! I have been charged with the organization of the funeral and I am looking for help in choosing one or two Rush tracks that would be appropriate to play at the funeral - possibly for the moments when the coffin will enter/leave the church. I appreciate that this is perhaps not the usual discussion thread you deal with - but my friend's funeral will not be complete without some Rush to be played. I greatly appreciate your willingness to read this post, and I trust that a suggestion or two might be forthcoming. Much obliged, Matt.

I agree with 'The Garden' - that would be a great funeral song (though I think that's a bit of an oxymoron...). Another I might suggest is 'Bravado' from Roll the Bones.

Sorry to hear about your friend, and hope all works out alright with the funeral!

I'm sorry for your loss.

Like has been mentioned above, The Garden would be a beautiful choice, and the up-tempo Afterimage would seem appropriate based on the lyrics. There are the two songs:

http://youtu.be/1wztuqskio8

In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?

It is what it is - and whatever

Time is still the infinite jest

The arrow files when you dream, the hours tick away - the cells tick away

The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes

The hours tick away - they tick away

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect

So hard to earn, so easily burned

In the fullness of time

A garden to nurture and protect

In the rise and the set of the sun

'Til the stars go spinning - spinning 'round the night

It is what it is - and forever

Each moment a memory in flight

The arrow flies while you breathe, the hours tick away - the cells tick away

The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve

The hours tick away - they tick away

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect

The way you live, the gifts that you give

In the fullness of time

It's the only return that you expect

The future disappears into memory

With only a moment between

Forever dwells in that moment

Hope is what remains to be seen

http://youtu.be/aalJT3GS_m8

Suddenly-

You were gone

From all the lives

You left your mark upon

I remember-

How we talked and drank

Into the misty dawn

- I hear the voices

We ran by the water

On the wet summer lawn

- I see the foot prints

I remember-

- I feel the way you would

- I feel the way you would

Tried to believe

But you know it's no good

This is something

That just can't be understood

I remember-

The shouts of joy

Skiing fast through the woods

- I hear the echoes

I learned your love for life

I feel the way that you would

- I feel your presence

I remember-

I feel the way you would

This just can't be understood...

I would go with The Garden. While lyrically Afterimage fits the loss of a loved one perfectly, musically i'm not sure if it's approprite to play in church. The Garden would be though, it's piano based song and has a more soothing sound to it. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

The songs mentioned here are all great suggestions. Hope would be very nice - good call, Lerxster. Paired with The Garden, they would be a lovely tribute. Tonally, both would be suitable on such a sad day in such a sad setting, I think.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. :rose:

• Like 1

In the end do you want people crying or smiling in memory regarding this part of your friend's life? I'd be inclined to pick something lighter from RUSH...an uplifting note to end with. Closer to the Heart?

I would go with The Garden. While lyrically Afterimage fits the loss of a loved one perfectly, musically i'm not sure if it's approprite to play in church. The Garden would be though, it's piano based song and has a more soothing sound to it.

I agree with this. The Professor know best!

There was a TRF member who died a few years back, and I did a radio show dedicated to him. I played Afterimage. Had CA existed back then, I surely would have played The Garden. I also played Closer to the Heart and Hope (already mentioned), as well as some other personal favorites of his. That could be another way to go - play a song that was one of his Rush favorites - as long as it isn't somehow inappropriate.

One that I would add to the list is The Sphere, the last minute or so of Hemispheres. I played that one near the end of the show, and it was very appropriate thematically, lyrically and for the emotional content.

The Garden and Hope are perfect choices, I honestly would want to have those two played at my funeral. You're an awesome friend for coming on here and asking us about this. I'm sorry about your loss. It's a tough thing but he's in a much better place. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. I'm sure all God plays in heaven are Rush songs. :D
  • Like 2

I have joined the Forum here in the hope that the good people who reside here might be able to assist me with the choice of a song or two. A dear friend of mine tragically passed away last week at the all too tender age of 43. The music of Rush was a huge part of his life. Now, I confess, I know very little about Rush. Sorry! I have been charged with the organization of the funeral and I am looking for help in choosing one or two Rush tracks that would be appropriate to play at the funeral - possibly for the moments when the coffin will enter/leave the church. I appreciate that this is perhaps not the usual discussion thread you deal with - but my friend's funeral will not be complete without some Rush to be played. I greatly appreciate your willingness to read this post, and I trust that a suggestion or two might be forthcoming. Much obliged, Matt.

I don't have any suggestions for you (I'll leave that to the others here), but wanted you to know that I will keep your friend and all concerned in my prayers, Matt.

:sundog:

The Garden and Hope are perfect choices, I honestly would want to have those two played at my funeral. You're an awesome friend for coming on here and asking us about this. I'm sorry about your loss. It's a tough thing but he's in a much better place. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. I'm sure all God plays in heaven are Rush songs. :D

Without a doubt! :LOL:

• Like 1

The songs mentioned here are all great suggestions. Hope would be very nice - good call, Lerxster. Paired with The Garden, they would be a lovely tribute. Tonally, both would be suitable on such a sad day in such a sad setting, I think.

we all come from different backgrounds and have different experiences with funerals/death/dying. Funerals are for the living...to remember your loved one..to say goodbye. Available Light seems to contain appropriate beauty—yes/no? Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Dear All,

Thank you so very much for your kind words and thoughtful suggestions.

I have eventually decided on using The Garden and Hope for the funeral.

I really do greatly appreciate your help.

On a personal level the last couple of days have made me realize that I have a great deal of catching up to do when it comes to the music of Rush!!

Kind regards, Matt.

we all come from different backgrounds and have different experiences with funerals/death/dying. Funerals are for the living...to remember your loved one..to say goodbye. Available Light seems to contain appropriate beauty—yes/no?

The only reservation I'd have with Available Light is some of the lyrics (...some half forgotten stranger, doesn't mean that much to me...) I'm quite certain that isn't the desired sentiment although it is a beautiful song. I'd want Bravado played at mine - that has always been a poignant song to me and a personal favourite with strong personal ties.

I like the idea of an upbeat song - Closer to the Heart, or The Spirit of Radio perhaps, or a favourite song (if known) perhaps. Time Stand Still would fit the bill as an upbeat feeling song that remembers a friend.

• Like 1

Dear All,

Thank you so very much for your kind words and thoughtful suggestions.

I have eventually decided on using The Garden and Hope for the funeral.

I really do greatly appreciate your help.

On a personal level the last couple of days have made me realize that I have a great deal of catching up to do when it comes to the music of Rush!!

Kind regards, Matt.

Fine choices, Matt. I hope the day isn't too hard and some comfort may be found. :rose: