Hawkins and Grohl to induct Rush into Hall of Fame

Powderfinger

I don't want to call the Foo Fighters hacks, but to me they're considered great only because there are so few popular rock bands around these days. Compare them to the great classic rock bands of the 60's and 70's and they pale miserably by comparison. I used to say that U2 and REM were really popular in the 80's only because they didn't have a lot to compete with, and they also couldn't hold a candle to the great classic rock bands. The Foo Fighters are a step down from there. There's nothing necessarily really wrong with them, but they get a big MEH from me.

Similarly, them inducting Rush is a really big MEH at best - a completely uninspiring choice. Should have been Jack Black all the way.

I cannot agree more. On paper, I think Jack Black would be most fun.

You guys are missing the point. It's not what WE think of the foo fighters... The industry respects them and Grohl has some serious credibility with a lot of current bands... He was a member of arguably the most influential band of the last 20 years.. It speaks volumes for the greatness of Rush that he is willing to induct them .

You are spot on here. While I'd prefer another artist and think these guys are overrated and overexposed, the fact is the industry loves them. Most importantly to me, they are truly Rush fans, especially Hawkins. They will do a great job inducting Rush and educating the assholes in the audience on their pervasive influence.

Grohl and Hawkins are huge fans, so in that regard, I like the choice. I'd like to be able to show my kids the induction ceremony, if for no other reason than for them to see what the definition of " classy " is. Rush will accept their induction with grace and dignity. I'm just hoping that Grohl and Hawkins can refrain from firing off profanity laced comments, as I'd rather have my little ones see both Rush, and the people who induct them, behave in a way I'd want my kids to.

Anyone but that assclown Jack Black..... :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

Whoever gives the induction speech should be classy about it. Nothing negative. No nasty comments about any alleged shunning or blackballing in the past. Focus on all the positive things about Rush and why they are being inducted. The band isn't negative, so no one else should be negative either.....

What makes you think Jack Black would be negative? He LOVES the band. He'd be perfect, and he'd do it with a great sense of humor, which is something the band is known for.

My comment about Jack Black and my wish for a positive, classy induction were two separate comments. Non-related.

It seems to me that the biggest issue, by far, regarding Rush, their career, and their not being inducted into this alleged Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has been all the negativity thrown at them by certain music critics and publications over the years. Now that they're being inducted, the negativity and any mention of the shunning, blackballing, whatever you wish to call it, should be completely MUTED.

The induction is supposed to be a happy occasion, and not a venue for spewing out personal grudges or hurt feelings. This also goes for whoever is doing the induction. Grohl and Hawkins had better not go off on some self-righteous rant about how Rush was screwed over for so long..... it would ruin the ceremony and probably embarrass the band.

Just my opinion......which isn't worth much because I don't even plan on watching the induction show. I've never made time for the corrupt, hypocritical Hall of Fame, so why start now? :huh: :huh: :D

I probably won't make any new friends with this comment, but I always thought that Foo Fighters (weird name for a band) and Nirvanna are both WAY over-rated.

If Cobain didn't kill himself, he wouldn't be the "lengendary songwriter" - "great poet" etc, that he is called today. And, if Dave Grohl wasn't in that band, Foo Fighters wouldn't be so popular now. Imagine if Grohl was NEW to the music business and started a new band called the Foo Fighters... would they be big now? No way. I don't think their music is really very good.

As for Grohl and Hawkins being the ones to induct the world's best band into the RRHOF?? Hmmm, not sure about that one. I would have thought in order to induct a lengendary band, one would have to be a lengendary artist themself. Neither Grohl or Hawkins are even close to being lengendary. Money does not equate quality or greatness. (Evidence? Justin Peckerhea... ooops, I meant, Beiber)

(Thunder Bay Rush dives behind his couch in order to escape the crazed mob that wants to kick his ass and duct tape him to a tree naked in the minus 39 degree Canadian weather)...

I've never made time for the corrupt, hypocritical Hall of Fame, so why start now? :huh: :huh: :D

Because.. Rush will be there? :huh: :D :D

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: Actually, my greatest wish is to attend the show, sit in the front row, and scream out "DON'T DO IT!" when Rush takes the stage....

I'd rather see them not in the Hall. It's a total sham, so I was happy with the band being shunned for all these years.....

I probably won't make any new friends with this comment, but I always thought that Foo Fighters (weird name for a band) and Nirvanna are both WAY over-rated.

If Cobain didn't kill himself, he wouldn't be the "lengendary songwriter" - "great poet" etc, that he is called today. And, if Dave Grohl wasn't in that band, Foo Fighters wouldn't be so popular now. Imagine if Grohl was NEW to the music business and started a new band called the Foo Fighters... would they be big now? No way. I don't think their music is really very good.

As for Grohl and Hawkins being the ones to induct the world's best band into the RRHOF?? Hmmm, not sure about that one. I would have thought in order to induct a lengendary band, one would have to be a lengendary artist themself. Neither Grohl or Hawkins are even close to being lengendary. Money does not equate quality or greatness. (Evidence? Justin Peckerhea... ooops, I meant, Beiber)

(Thunder Bay Rush dives behind his couch in order to escape the crazed mob that wants to kick his ass and duct tape him to a tree naked in the minus 39 degree Canadian weather)...

The band's name refers to Forties Air Force slang for UFOs.

As for the rest of your post, that's your opinion.. and I'm out of duct tape. :)

I've never made time for the corrupt, hypocritical Hall of Fame, so why start now? :huh: :huh: :D

Because.. Rush will be there? :huh: :D :D

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: Actually, my greatest wish is to attend the show, sit in the front row, and scream out "DON'T DO IT!" when Rush takes the stage....

I'd rather see them not in the Hall. It's a total sham, so I was happy with the band being shunned for all these years.....

:LOL: i hear ya :cheers:

You had better duck and cover 'cause I am breaking out the duck tape! lol!

Sure, Grohl got a lot of early attention because of Nirvana, but FF stands on it's own. You don't fill concerts and sell records consistently for 20 years based solely on the weight of the front man having played in an earlier band. I know a lot of kids who don't even seem to be aware of the Nirvana connection.

I was hoping Metallica would do the honours. They have said many times over the years, how Rush has influenced them. And, they are already in the Hall.

I have never been a fan of the Foo's, but I respect them, and I know they are respected in the industry. To me, they are worthy to induct my band.

A big LOL at Donna Halper. We are forever indebted to her for giving the first spin, but there would be many other more worthy presenters.

Any of the guys from Metallica would be a better and more appropriate choice. They're in the Hall and go way back with Rush, gave them a thank you in their liner notes and there was even talk of Geddy producing for them back in the eighties. All three are huge fans. Alex was a big influence for Kirk. Just would have made more sense. They are respected by the music industry and I would think have the respect of a larger number of Rush fans. None of my die hard, fanatic Rush fan friends own any Foo Fighters albums or have ever been to a show. Not the case with Metallica.

Any of the guys from Metallica would be a better and more appropriate choice. They're in the Hall and go way back with Rush, gave them a thank you in their liner notes and there was even talk of Geddy producing for them back in the eighties. All three are huge fans. Alex was a big influence for Kirk. Just would have made more sense. They are respected by the music industry and I would think have the respect of a larger number of Rush fans. None of my die hard, fanatic Rush fan friends own any Foo Fighters albums or have ever been to a show. Not the case with Metallica.

There are die hard, fanatic Rush fans that really do prefer FF to Metallica. But, yeah, Metallica would have been a strong choice also. Especially given that Metallica's manager Cliff Burnstein has such a long history with Rush.

Edited by Animate

I like both Grohl and Hawkins and the Foo Fighters, but I remember when some relatives saw them live a couple years ago that Grohl was going on about how he was a god. I like the guy, but either saying he was a god was for show, or he's completely full of himself. Induction wise; I'd prefer Sebastian Bach or Tenacious D. :LOL: Edited by default236

Sure, Grohl got a lot of early attention because of Nirvana, but FF stands on it's own. You don't fill concerts and sell records consistently for 20 years based solely on the weight of the front man having played in an earlier band. I know a lot of kids who don't even seem to be aware of the Nirvana connection.

You can't find me, you can't find me, you can't find me...

I'm bringing the dogs, so good luck hiding!

I like both Grohl and Hawkins and the Foo Fighters, but I remember when some relatives saw them live a couple years ago that Grohl was going on about how he was a god. I like the guy, but either saying he was a god was for show, or he's completely full of himself. Induction wise; I'd prefer Sebastian Bach or Tenacious D. :LOL:

Sebastian Bach would be a horrible choice. He represents everything about that 80s scene that the industry mocks. It would make Rush look like a joke.

Occasionally another band pays tribute to inductee with a cover prior to the induction.

Though, if Metallica were locked in, then they'd be on the poster.

It will be interesting to see if any other cool bands influenced by RUSH pop up on the promotion,

This is an ideal choice. Just the fact that Geddy and Alex showed up to play YYZ with Hawkins is a pretty good reason to have these guys do it. Watching that video you see that Hawkins is just thrilled to be jamming with those guys- that's the right kind of attitude to have about this band.

And Grohl is just an all around good guy who is a fan of the band. It makes sense.

Regarding Nirvana only being popular because of Cobain's suicide- no, that isn't even close to true. They were huge before that happened, and already quite influential. I actually am not a big fan of Nirvana musically, but their impact on the music industry is undeniable.

That being said, the Foo Fighters really have very little to do with Nirvana- they do stand on their own feet. I like their music, and it seems that the guys in Rush do too, so I feel I'm in good company.

Regarding Nirvana only being popular because of Cobain's suicide- no, that isn't even close to true. They were huge before that happened, and already quite influential. I actually am not a big fan of Nirvana musically, but their impact on the music industry is undeniable

Yes, but almost every group who has some big 10+ million selling album usually experiences a rapid decline in album sales and a drop in album quality shortly thereafter. No one can maintain that level of popularity. You can't overstate the fact that Kurt Cobain's suicide left them frozen in time not far from the height of their popularity. Yes, they were influential regardless, but now they're Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin or The Doors, as opposed to what Nirvana inevitably would have become - Def Leppard or Alanis Morisette - influential, but more known as that group who was hugely popular for a relatively short time and now can barely sell any albums.

Add to that the fact that while influential, they've influenced a generation of crappy music, and that results in them being incredibly overrated, despite Cobain's legendary status due to his twenty-something angst-laden martyrdom.

Goober, come on man, you lived through that era- you have to remember the dramatic shift that happened when the Seattle bands blew up like they did, and it happened without Cobain's suicide. The effect was already felt and things were already different.

As for whether it was crappy music that was influenced- I guess that's a matter of opinion, but I prefer the raw music that followed Nevermind to the super polished hair metal that proceeded it.

But really, not much needs to be said on that topic.

A lot of people like Foo Fighters. Clearly the band does. For whatever reason Grohl is a well respected individual for his contributions of rock music- it's a good fits and that's what really matters however you feel about where his popularity came from.

Goober, come on man, you lived through that era- you have to remember the dramatic shift that happened when the Seattle bands blew up like they did, and it happened without Cobain's suicide. The effect was already felt and things were already different.

As for whether it was crappy music that was influenced- I guess that's a matter of opinion, but I prefer the raw music that followed Nevermind to the super polished hair metal that proceeded it.

A lot of people like Foo Fighters. Clearly the band does. For whatever reason Grohl is a well respected individual for his contributions of rock music- it's a good fits and that's what really matters however you feel about where his popularity came from.

I did live through that era, and I always thought the Nirvana hysteria was seriously overblown. I still maintain Nirvana was majorly overrated. Catchy tunes? Absolutely, but they weren't worthy of the out of control hype they received. If they influenced music in any way I cared remotely about, I might view them as revolutionary in some way, but to me the 90's were about ambient/electronic, shoegaze, dreampop and trip hop and not the sludgy grunge scene or what it inspired.

And the fact that Cobain killed himself put him in the category of instant martyr who went out near the top of his game. That cements a legendary status, whether deserved or not. Yes, I remember how popular they were, but I also remember how popular The Spice Girls and The Backstreet Boys were. That doesn't mean I care about them either.

In terms of Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins, I guess in the end I really care about how it effects Rush. If them being inducted by someone who is currently very popular and respected (whether deserved or not) helps people take their music seriously and causes more people, especially young people, to check them out, then that can't be a bad thing. It's just kind of ironic that a group that is 1/10th of what Rush is, on a good day, is inducting them. Ultimately they're just unworthy, but there wouldn't be many artists or groups who would be, so I guess they're as good as anyone.

• Like 1

I'm bringing the dogs, so good luck hiding!

Oh shit...

I did live through that era, and I always thought the Nirvana hysteria was seriously overblown. I still maintain Nirvana was majorly overrated. Catchy tunes? Absolutely, but they weren't worthy of the out of control hype they received. If they influenced music in any way I cared remotely about, I might view them as revolutionary in some way, but to me the 90's were about ambient/electronic, shoegaze, dreampop and trip hop and not the sludgy grunge scene or what it inspired.

And the fact that Cobain killed himself put him in the category of instant martyr who went out near the top of his game. That cements a legendary status, whether deserved or not. Yes, I remember how popular they were, but I also remember how popular The Spice Girls and The Backstreet Boys were. That doesn't mean I care about them either.

In terms of Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins, I guess in the end I really care about how it effects Rush. If them being inducted by someone who is currently very popular and respected (whether deserved or not) helps people take their music seriously and causes more people, especially young people, to check them out, then that can't be a bad thing. It's just kind of ironic that a group that is 1/10th of what Rush is, on a good day, is inducting them. Ultimately they're just unworthy, but there wouldn't be many artists or groups who would be, so I guess they're as good as anyone.

YES! BANG FRIGGIN' ON!!

YES, I'M YELLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding Nirvana only being popular because of Cobain's suicide- no, that isn't even close to true.

My god, what idiot thinks that???

Nirvana were HUGE way before his death. Now HOLE on the other hand...