Can you post 70s fans please clarify for me ?

tullfan

They gave a ton of love on R-30 to the 70's era.

A really good Medley to open the show (that left you wanting more...no doubt).

And an amazing run of tunes in:

By Tor & The Snow Dog

La Villa Strangiato

Xanadu

Working Man

It was awesome. So they gave it up for the fans that had been pining for that material.

The following tour on legs one and two they busted out:

Circumstances

A Passage To Bangkok

Natural Science

The Trees

Working Man

Entre Nous

Time Machine was the first tour in a while (VT had some killer 70's material as well) they went light on the 70's stuff....but they still played:

La Villa

Working Man

So Clockwork Angels Tour......being a 80's intensive fan as MP, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire represent 5 of my top 8 Rush albums ever gets the treatment on this tour with a chock full of tunes from Power Windows and a couple of great songs from Signals and Grace Under Pressure, and one morsel from Hold Your Fire and only one tune from MP and Waves.

They gave the keyboard era some love for the first time since The Hold Your Fire tour.

It had been a long time coming. And all I saw was a ton of moaning and groaning (not pointing my finger at the OP here on this thread) from 70's Rush fans.

Well.....dudes.....they have legions of fans from so many different eras. They finally gave us early 40 somethings the music we loved from them and got us into the band the last 2 tours by playing MP complete and giving us a fantastic first and second set filled with mid 80's classics.

I think for a band with such a huge runway of material they have given us so many amazing set lists and tours since they went to the "Evening With" format.

I have absolutely zero complaints.

Is the band perfect? No of course not....who is. But when I see venom (not mild disappointment....we all have that from not hearing a particular song we are dying to hear...Jacobs Ladder being mine) directed at the band for churning out a lousy setlist.....WTF are these people talking about....I mean really.

Just plain nuts. Look back at all the set lists since Counterparts......they have really played a shit load of songs, deep classics and a plethora of amazing songs.

The new album is so good live it is really a true classic already. I though Snakes was a strong effort......it pales to Clockwork Angels...incredible how good CA is. And then to surround it with so much classic material and some real big surprises like Grand Designs, The Body Electric, Middletown Dreams and The Analog Kid etc etc.....wow. What a tour.

Too bad there are still a bunch of fans who cry we were with you from the beginning....what about us.

Well for christ sakes guys....they played all that stuff back in the day and evolved into what they are now. They clearly stated on BTLS that starting with Permanent Waves the band really finally found themselves...went a tad too far with Hold Your Fire (despite it's obvious brilliance) and got back to their guitar and bass roots with Counterparts and have not looked back.

CA is so old school I am shocked the 70's fans have not embraced the album as much as the rest of us. It reeks of their 70's roots on songs like Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Headlong Flight and Seven Cities of Gold....REEKS!!!!

Anyway I am ranting.

The 2013 leg can't get here soon enough. And crap if they decide to scrap all the 80's material in set one and play only 70's stuff.....YEAH BABY.

Because all of their stuff is that good. Whatever they play.....will rock.

It's all good. If your not into the mid 80's and 90's stuff.....what can I tell you. I don't understand how you can still listen to this band and go to concerts when they have basically moved far beyond Fly By Night and Caress of Steel (which almost ended the band).

Thank god for 2112.....and then thank god for Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures. It allowed them to make albums like Signals, Power Windows, Roll The Bones....basically whatever the f**k they wanted to.

Which is why I love them so much.

• Like 2

The professor states,

I enjoyed the mid 80's set list, different is good. Really get tired hearing the required same " popular" must play songs tour after tour. Can't understand this late in the game why many loyal Rush fans didn't feel the same way. But oh well to each his own..

This is the defense I hear time and time again about my disappointment about Rush not playing their 70s stuff. Are all the songs before Signals popular must play songs? Just trying to understand your point of view.

Thanks

I think they are tired of playing 2112, Working Man, and now they really are over Moving Pictures after playing it for 2 straight years. I am so happy all we got this past tour was one tune from MP...they always played 4-5 every tour.

They as a band are just not into playing there oldest material. And I can totally relate. It was their childhood material musically speaking.

They are an honest band and they are honest with themselves and with the fans. If they can't play a song and give it 100% every night and make it cook.......they are not playing it.

A perfect example of this was a Bon Jovi concert I went too two years ago (yeah Bon Jovi...my wife's sister loves them so we took her and they are a good live act). They played Runaway.

And let me tell you it was sad watching Jon Bon Jovi literally go through the motions and sing this song with zero passion and zest. And the crowd noticed it big time and it was buzz kill for them.

If you can't play it with passion....don't play it.

So the fact of the matter is the band does not want to play the material for the most part.

If you as fan feel they owe it to you at this point in their life span......too bad.

Sounds harsh....but it is the truth and the band has said as much many times.

The tunes they can jam and enjoy night after night...they play.

And of course the vocal limitations are quite evident with Geddy at this stage and I don't think the 70's stuff that people would love to hear (myself included) can pass quality control that this band has in place.

I would love to hear Hemispheres or Something For Nothing....Anthem...love that stuff. But it is not really viable for them anymore and would sound bad tuned down.

2112 works tuned down. I am sure they have tried other songs tuned down and did not like the way they felt or sounded. Whatever it is. They could not recapture it anymore.

That's how it goes with music sometimes.

• Like 1

The professor states,

I enjoyed the mid 80's set list, different is good. Really get tired hearing the required same " popular" must play songs tour after tour. Can't understand this late in the game why many loyal Rush fans didn't feel the same way. But oh well to each his own..

This is the defense I hear time and time again about my disappointment about Rush not playing their 70s stuff. Are all the songs before Signals popular must play songs? Just trying to understand your point of view.

Thanks

I think they are tired of playing 2112, Working Man, and now they really are over Moving Pictures after playing it for 2 straight years. I am so happy all we got this past tour was one tune from MP...they always played 4-5 every tour.

They as a band are just not into playing there oldest material. And I can totally relate. It was their childhood material musically speaking.

They are an honest band and they are honest with themselves and with the fans. If they can't play a song and give it 100% every night and make it cook.......they are not playing it.

A perfect example of this was a Bon Jovi concert I went too two years ago (yeah Bon Jovi...my wife's sister loves them so we took her and they are a good live act). They played Runaway.

And let me tell you it was sad watching Jon Bon Jovi literally go through the motions and sing this song with zero passion and zest. And the crowd noticed it big time and it was buzz kill for them.

If you can't play it with passion....don't play it.

So the fact of the matter is the band does not want to play the material for the most part.

If you as fan feel they owe it to you at this point in their life span......too bad.

Sounds harsh....but it is the truth and the band has said as much many times.

The tunes they can jam and enjoy night after night...they play.

And of course the vocal limitations are quite evident with Geddy at this stage and I don't think the 70's stuff that people would love to hear (myself included) can pass quality control that this band has in place.

I would love to hear Hemispheres or Something For Nothing....Anthem...love that stuff. But it is not really viable for them anymore and would sound bad tuned down.

2112 works tuned down. I am sure they have tried other songs tuned down and did not like the way they felt or sounded. Whatever it is. They could not recapture it anymore.

That's how it goes with music sometimes.

You've made alot of great points. Clockwork Angels is such a great album and the current tour reflects the power of it. I think they should play the entire album next time out. It has become a Neo-Rush Classic in my book. However, I think they can still pull off Permanent Waves in its Entirety as well asas the 2112 suite in its entirety. Which is the reason many fans are looking forward to an R40 Tour. Basically for the same reasons you made concernoing the R30 on your first post (rant) what ever you might want to call it. Just like in the Time Machine Tour they won't be supporting a new album so the possibilities are endless. PW in its entirty would be Epic. Throw in a few never played songs like Cut to the Chase, Sweet Miracle and Open Secrets (My choices) , insert another Epic like Xanadu, sprinkle in some Staples, some Clockwork Angels songs and an R40 Instrumedley and you have one hell of a concert. I truly believe that R40 could be their best concert ever. Specially on the heels of this incredible Clockwork Angels tour.

Set list below:

Set 1:

R40 Instrumedley (Finding my Way/By-Tor & The Snow Dog/ The Necromance/ A Passage to Bangkok/ Cygnus X-1/ Hemipsheres (Prelude))

Limelight

Caravan

Cut to the Chase / Alien Shore

Open Secret / Lock And Key

Sweet Miracle / Vapor Trail

Mal-Nar

Show Don't Tell/ Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels

2112 Suite

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings (With extended outro solo by Alex)

Natural Science

The Anarchist

Red Barchetta

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

YYZ (Drum Solo)

Alex's Solo/ La Villa Strangiato

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

Headlong Flight

Encore 2: (Why Not ?)

Closer to the Heart (Extended Jam)

It Would be Epic I tell ya! Simply Epic!

:drool: :dweez: :drool:

Even without the 2nd Encore!

:laughing guy:

I know there are plenty of reasons the group does not play their 70's stuff but I think there may be two other factors. First, Rush is not necessarily a band with tons of "hits," per se, and therefore it is not like they owe fans certain songs. I recall Joe Elliott of Def Leppard joking about there being several songs they don't want to play live but they would be killed if they didn't. Rush's radio "staples" get played live and, sadly, for many of us "Caress of Steel' fans, that does not include their first four albums. I mean when the classic radio station in L.A. plays their triple header of RUSH, you can almost bet that Tom Sawyer, SOR, and Subdivisions will be the choices many more times than Working Man or Bastille Day. Even Aerosmith has been known to drop "Dream On" once in awhile.

Second, Rush became bigger, from a sales standpoint(?), with Permanent Waves. If I recall, they were selling about 200,000 albums until they became radio friendly. As much as some of us can dislike the recent setlist, they are playing what sold albums for them and might believe that is what the bulk of their fans want. Van Halen may have sold more albums during their Hagar years than their Roth years. But there are those that will hit the concession lines the minute they hear one of the Sammy-penned tunes. Maybe the thinking is the same for Rush-focus on what sold in addition to what they themselves enjoy.

I really truly feel Rush plays what they get off on. And more recently I think Geddy's vocal limitations are now dictating what older songs they can pull off to their high performance standards. I don't think on a 40 plus date tour he can sing tunes like Anthem, Bastille Day, Something For Nothing etc anymore. And before when he could pull it off.....they were well beyond that material.

The only song Rush has never dropped since the Waves and MP releases is Tom Sawyer. Even The Spirit of Radio was dropped for a tour if memory serves me correctly.

They as a band are just not into playing their oldest material. And I can totally relate. It was their childhood material musically speaking.

This makes a lot of sense, and it's a part of the discussion that is often forgotten. Let's say that you were a 60 yr old musician who spent the past 40+ yrs of your life writing and performing music. Would you really want to play a bunch of material you wrote when you were 20? I sure as hell wouldn't. That would be like a college-aged poet publicly reading something he wrote when he was 6. I wouldn't be surprised if the boys were actually embarrassed of their earlier stuff.

Personal example, I'm kind of in a band. The guitarist/singer (a freshman in college) has a couple of songs that he wrote when he was in high school. I personally love this stuff. I find it very adventurous and super interesting to perform. He is very hesitant to play this material though, because he seems almost embarrassed of it.

The constant desire to grow as an artist is what pushes truly creative people away from rehashing their old works.

• Like 1

They as a band are just not into playing their oldest material. And I can totally relate. It was their childhood material musically speaking.

This makes a lot of sense, and it's a part of the discussion that is often forgotten. Let's say that you were a 60 yr old musician who spent the past 40+ yrs of your life writing and performing music. Would you really want to play a bunch of material you wrote when you were 20? I sure as hell wouldn't. That would be like a college-aged poet publicly reading something he wrote when he was 6. I wouldn't be surprised if the boys were actually embarrassed of their earlier stuff.

Personal example, I'm kind of in a band. The guitarist/singer (a freshman in college) has a couple of songs that he wrote when he was in high school. I personally love this stuff. I find it very adventurous and super interesting to perform. He is very hesitant to play this material though, because he seems almost embarrassed of it.

The constant desire to grow as an artist is what pushes truly creative people away from rehashing their old works.

Excellent post

The professor states,

Thanks

First off, you're not going to (obviously) get a lot of sympathy for your POV on a Rush board, which consists pretty much entirely of super hardcore Rush fans. You're going to get a lot of what you got - Rush is awesome, they can play whatever the hell they want, they can do no wrong, etc.

Personally, I think there's a few songs that they HAVE to play, and I'm pretty shocked that some of those aren't played this tour. My opinion doesn't mean much since I have no intention to see them this time around, but seeing the set list was disappointing for me personally. Interesting choices, but really odd to see the synth era represented so heavily. And I LOVE the synth era, just not at the expense of their handful or two of classics that must be played. Anyway, of course the band can do whatever they want, and they always do whatever they want. I don't always personally agree with their choices, but whatever, They're still awesome.

If it truly is that Geddy can't sing those MUST PLAY songs anymore, then that's understandable.

Anyway, I applaud you for having an opinion, even if the Rush can do no wrong crowd would put you down for daring to have a non-Rush can do no wrong opinion. ;)

• Like 1

The professor states,

Thanks

First off, you're not going to (obviously) get a lot of sympathy for your POV on a Rush board, which consists pretty much entirely of super hardcore Rush fans. You're going to get a lot of what you got - Rush is awesome, they can play whatever the hell they want, they can do no wrong, etc.

Personally, I think there's a few songs that they HAVE to play, and I'm pretty shocked that some of those aren't played this tour. My opinion doesn't mean much since I have no intention to see them this time around, but seeing the set list was disappointing for me personally. Interesting choices, but really odd to see the synth era represented so heavily. And I LOVE the synth era, just not at the expense of their handful or two of classics that must be played. Anyway, of course the band can do whatever they want, and they always do whatever they want. I don't always personally agree with their choices, but whatever, They're still awesome.

If it truly is that Geddy can't sing those MUST PLAY songs anymore, then that's understandable.

Anyway, I applaud you for having an opinion, even if the Rush can do no wrong crowd would put you down for daring to have a non-Rush can do no wrong opinion. ;)

Gary we know he can't sing those songs...and if you get the chance to see them this tour—do it bud. Performing at a high level

The professor states,

Thanks

Would you be so kind as to source this? Something about this does not seem very "Neil". I'm just trying to find out if he actually said that, or if you were paraphrasing something he said. Thanks.

The professor states,

Thanks

Would you be so kind as to source this? Something about this does not seem very "Neil". I'm just trying to find out if he actually said that, or if you were paraphrasing something he said. Thanks.

If it's me Lerxster your wondering tullfan is quoting the answer is yes, perhaps i used the wrong word"popular" and should've said the required" standards or popular standards" in making my point. I guess that might of thrown tullfan off. But i believe the majority get the gist of what i was talking about.

The professor states,

Thanks

If it's me Lerxster your wondering tullfan is quoting the answer is yes, perhaps i used the wrong word"popular" and should've said the required" standards or popular standards" in making my point. I guess that might of thrown tullfan off. But i believe the majority get the gist of what i was talking about.

Oh, okay. It is a little confusing, but I guess it sounds like tullfan was referring to something you said, not to what the Professor on the drum kit said. There is only one Professor on this board! :madra:

:cheers:

• Like 1

I really truly feel Rush plays what they get off on. And more recently I think Geddy's vocal limitations are now dictating what older songs they can pull off to their high performance standards. I don't think on a 40 plus date tour he can sing tunes like Anthem, Bastille Day, Something For Nothing etc anymore. And before when he could pull it off.....they were well beyond that material.

The only song Rush has never dropped since the Waves and MP releases is Tom Sawyer. Even The Spirit of Radio was dropped for a tour if memory serves me correctly.

could be possible for geddy to sing the songs lower without tuning the guitars down too?

How many years ago was 1976? Anyway, that was the year I saw my first Rush show... I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be seeing them in 2013. So, they could play ANY GODDAM SONGS THEY WANTED TO and I'd still go and support my favourite band. And, I'd love every minute, even during "Time Stand Still," my least favourite Rush song. Why? Because ANY Rush is good Rush.

Stop whining about the set list. You're going to give yourself an aneurysm.

Now, go make yourself some Kraft Dinner or something...

Bingo! Not a HUGE 80's era fan, but the fact that they are STILL out there playing stuff is fine with me! If they only played Clockwork Angels, and the whole Feedback album on the next tour I'd STILL go see them!

How much longer can it last? Enjoy it while it does!

could be possible for geddy to sing the songs lower without tuning the guitars down too?

It depends, for Anthem he kind of did that in the 90's when they did that medley with Red Barchetta and SOR. But it would be hard to change the notes in some tunes without heavily altering the melody so I can see why Geddy would choose the post-70's songs that he feels he can still do faithfully

The professor states,

Thanks

History runs in cycles. We are now once again in a time when those songs {RUSH songs} ,written in the 80's are relevant again…According to some theories, thirty years is known as an Omega cycle, So in that assumption we would be at the beginning of another one now...all we need do is look around the world, With all of the current situations in the USA as well as in other nations regarding the financial, social, and moral status of a nation, we see the character of the populace in general is being adapted to the rise of the progressive socialist mentality, and the world culture in relation to those songs is just as revealing today as it was thirty years ago... “Conform or be Cast out is once again becoming the mantra”…