10 Most Epic ALBUMS of the 70's

rushgoober

In the spirit of this thread with the most epic TRACKS of the 70's:

http://www.therushfo...cks-of-the-70s/

So again, this isn't a place merely to list your favorite albums of the decade (though it can contain them), but to list your favorite EPIC albums of the decade.

In terms of defining "epic," I'll go with standard dictionary definitions like "surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size" or "heroic and impressive in quality."

It could be less or more than 10 albums, even. List and/or discuss other people's lists!

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (not my fave album of the 70's, but the most iconic in terms of the most epic. actually their most iconic epic album of the 70's is arguably The Wall, but I can't listen to that album anymore)

2. Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (best double album of the 70's - hard to get more epic than 4 full album-side tracks)

3. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (Lamb is more epic in length, but not quite in consistency and quality)

4. Can - Tago Mago (the definition of epic - they threw caution to the wind and came up with a cracked masterpiece)

5. Yes - Close to the Edge (doesn't get much more epic than this without being a double album)

6. King Crimson - Lizard (combines rock with jazz and classical, creating arguably the most complex prog album of the 70's)

7. Rush - Hemispheres (their best album - an intricate instant classic prog album years after the genre's peak)

8. Led Zeppelin - IV (not as epic in length certainly as Physical Grafitti, but far more consistent)

9. The Who - Who's Next (right next to Led Zep IV as the best straight ahead epic rockers of the 70's)

10. Amon Duul II - Dance of the Lemmings (Yeti is of equal length, but not quite as consistent all the way through)

11. Faust - The Faust Tapes (essentially one 40-minute track, even if it's a cut and paste job - totally unique in the world of music)

Honorable Mentions:

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Pink Floyd - Animals

The Who - Quadrophenia

Amon Duul II - Yeti

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Edited by rushgoober

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (John and Paul held him back and he let loose with this truly epic album. Too bad, the rest of his solo career seems apathetic after The Beatles and All Things Must Pass. How could it not?)

John Lennon - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (Simple and raw and emotional. Punk before Punk. Grunge before Grunge)

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night (The depths of regret. The depths of guilt.)

Yes - Close to the Edge (Bombastic Prog perfected. What to do next? Repeat and be more bombastic.)

The Clash - London Calling (I think it's the greatest Rock and Roll album of all-time. Varied and CONFIDENT.)

Pink Floyd - The Wall (I love every other Pink Floyd album of the 70's better but The Wall was simply too huge.)

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (His peers were bowing on bended knees.)

King Crimson - Red (Mr. Fripp thought the world was ending. Listen to the end of "Starless".)

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (Spector meets Dylan. 'Nuff said.)

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (Epic odds and ends. A patchwork of big bold brilliance.)

Honorable mention:

Any 70's Queen album.

• Like 1

Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (obviously :P)

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (40 minute song stretched to 60 minutes in concert.... epic!)

Genesis - Foxtrot (how much more epic can you get than Supper's Ready)

Pink Floyd - The Wall (although not necessarily a personal favorite, it certainly is very epic in scope)

Rush - 2112 (famous, well-selling breakthrough including possibly the most well known side-spanner of all time? yes!)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (not my fav Zep album, but IV is the most well-known and iconic)

Those are my top iconic epic albums. Personal favorites that I consider epic:

Camel - The Snow Goose

Gong - You

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time

King Crimson - Red

Gentle Giant - In a Glass House

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Eloy - Power and the Passion

:haz:

1. Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is one of my favorite epics of all time.)

2. Yes - Close To The Edge (Another one of my favorite epics.)

3. Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (This one speaks for itself.)

4. Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Another one that speaks for itself.)

5. Camel - The Snow Goose (One of my favorite instrumental albums.)

6. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (This is essentially one long track in my mind, even though many of the songs work well on their own.)

7. Caravan - In The Land of Grey and Pink (The first half of this album is fairly poppy (not that that's a bad thing) but Nine Feet Underground is a killer conclusion to this album.)

8. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (I love the style of this album, as Shine On You Crazy Diamond bookends the album.)

9. Nektar - Remember The Future (another one song album!)

10. Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn (I literally just got this album a couple of days ago and fell in love with it.)

11. King Crimson - Red

12. ELP - Tarkus

13. Rush - Hemispheres

14. Kansas - Song For America

15. King Crimson - Lizard

16. Genesis - Foxtrot

17. Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life

18. Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories

19. Focus - Moving Waves

20. Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra

I wasn't really sure how to define epic - whether that meant albums that contain an epic (i.e. long) song or albums that are simply mindblowingly good ("surpassing the usual or ordinary"), so I went with the former. Though I do consider these albums to be all excellent, so either definition applies!

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

When I think of epic albums, I think of ambitious, over-the-top, thought-provoking / emotional roller-coaster ride.

So here are my picks:

1) Rush - Hemispheres

2) Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

3) Jethro Tull - Passion Play

4) Rush - Carress of Steel

5) Genesis - Foxtrot

6) Genesis - Wind and Wurtberg

7) Meatloaf - Bat out a Hell!

8) Kansas - Masque

9) Queen - A Night at the Opera

10) Pinky Floyder - Wish you were Hereya

11) Yes - Closer to the Edge

12) RUSH - AFTK

13) RUSH - 2112

14) Jetro Tull - Thirk as Brik

15) Genesis - The Lamb Dies Down on Broadway

16) Pinky and the Floyder - The Wall

17) ELP - Pictures at and Exhibition

18) Led Zeppers - SoZo ;)

19) ELP - Brain Salad Surgery

20) Genesis - Tick of Trail

Honorable Mentions:

Styx - Grand Illusion

Pinky Winky - Dark Side of the Moon

Rush - Permanent Waves

ELP - Tarkus

ELP - Trilogy

ELO - Out a the Blue

Edited by BigBob

When I think of epic albums, I think of ambitious, over-the-top, thought-provoking / emotional roller-coaster ride.

So here are my picks:

1) Rush - Hemispheres

2) Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

3) Jethro Tull - Passion Play

4) Rush - Carress of Steel

5) Genesis - Foxtrot

6) Genesis - Wind and Wurtberg

7) Meatloaf - Bat out a Hell!

8) Kansas - Masque

9) Queen - A Night at the Opera

10) Pinky Floyder - Wish you were Hereya

11) Yes - Closer to the Edge

12) RUSH - AFTK

13) RUSH - 2112

14) Jetro Tull - Thirk as Brik

15) Genesis - The Lamb Dies Down on Broadway

16) Pinky and the Floyder - The Wall

17) ELP - Pictures at and Exhibition

18) Led Zeppers - SoZo ;)

19) ELP - Brain Salad Surgery

20) Genesis - Tick of Trail

Honorable Mentions:

Styx - Grand Illusion

Pinky Winky - Dark Side of the Moon

Rush - Permanent Waves

ELP - Tarkus

ELP - Trilogy

ELO - Out a the Blue

someone was having a little too much fun :P

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (John and Paul held him back and he let loose with this truly epic album. Too bad, the rest of his solo career seems apathetic after The Beatles and All Things Must Pass. How could it not?)

Great choice. I didn't choose it if for no other reason than the album loses a little steam after awhile, but it is pretty epic nonetheless. It's definitely the best Beatles solo album. :yes:

7. Caravan - In The Land of Grey and Pink (The first half of this album is fairly poppy (not that that's a bad thing) but Nine Feet Underground is a killer conclusion to this album.)

It's a great album, but really the only majorly epic thing about it is side two.

If I was going to nominate a Caravan album for most epic, it would be the previous one and my personal fave - "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You." I think that album builds and builds as it goes on, and at 47+ minutes, it's of pretty epic length for a single album.

The Who - Who's Next

Stones - Exile On Main St.

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Allman Brothers - Fillmore East

Led Zeppelin IV

Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Derek And The Dominos - Layla

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Van Halen 1

Band Of Gypsys

It's a great album, but really the only majorly epic thing about it is side two.

If I was going to nominate a Caravan album for most epic, it would be the previous one and my personal fave - "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You." I think that album builds and builds as it goes on, and at 47+ minutes, it's of pretty epic length for a single album.

But... Nine Feet Underground! :haz:

Waterloo Lily is pretty epic too :yes:

I hear ya, but for me for the album to be TRULY epic, the whole thing has to be epic. Similarly, Supper's Ready is incredible, but I don't rate the rest of Foxtrot nearly as highly. Same with Meddle and Echoes, 2112 from 2112, etc.

Derek And The Dominos - Layla

I have to admit that the only thing I know from this album is the epic title track. Does the rest of it really measure up to the quality of this song?

Absolutley:

Bell Bottom Blues

Anyday

Keep On Growing

-these are all classics

Got some great blues tracks as well (Key To The Highway, Why Does Love Have To Be So Sad, Have You Ever Loved A Woman).

Plus you get a bonus cover of Little Wing.

I'm having trouble narrowing it to 20...I could find ten in any decade after the 70s though...well, I may have to search to find 10. The 70s...can't. But I do like what everyone has chosen so far. Problem is, I find more to add as I read them.

I'm having trouble narrowing it to 20...I could find ten in any decade after the 70s though...well, I may have to search to find 10. The 70s...can't. But I do like what everyone has chosen so far. Problem is, I find more to add as I read them.

Dude, post 30 if you need to, just do it! ;)

Boy I would have loved to live in that decade. Such great volumes of music.

The argument could be made that it's better to be around now than back then. All the music is available, and much easier to find than back then - it's all organized and rated online, and the music can be found a lot more readily then searching around for and ordering albums in the 70's, especially if it was an import!

I hear ya, but for me for the album to be TRULY epic, the whole thing has to be epic. Similarly, Supper's Ready is incredible, but I don't rate the rest of Foxtrot nearly as highly. Same with Meddle and Echoes, 2112 from 2112, etc.

:huh: I love every song on side one of ITLOGAP. And Winter Wine is pretty epic :D

But I see what you mean. Tarkus syndrome sucks :yes:

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

Hotel California

....and nearly everyone on these boards save for Tommy Sawyer does not like The Eagles. But it was and remains an epic album.

Definately an epic album. If my list were Spinal Tapish (goes to 11) it probably would have gotten the final spot.

Who... Who's Next, 1971

Led Zeppelin... IV, 1971

Yes... Close to the Edge, 1972

Pink Floyd... Darkside of the Moon, 1973

Supertramp... Crime of the Century, 1974

Genesis... A Trick of the Tail, 1976

Kansas... Left overture, 1976

Electric Light Orchestra... New World Record, 1976

Meat Loaf... Bat out of Hell, 1978

Rush... Hemispheres, 1978