Rush in the Hall - WHY they got in...

rushgoober

The comittee didnt wake up one morning throw on Hemispheres and proclaim "i finally get it"! Who knows what sparked the nomination, my uneducated guess is they just finally said f it! even though we still hate thier weird ass music, and as much as we hate to admit it we cant continue to look like complete idiots year after year, and we are sick of answering the questions about RUSH sooooo.

this and USB's remark i think are prob the most likely mix of deciding favtors...just to be completely cynical

The comittee didnt wake up one morning throw on Hemispheres and proclaim "i finally get it"! Who knows what sparked the nomination, my uneducated guess is they just finally said f it! even though we still hate thier weird ass music, and as much as we hate to admit it we cant continue to look like complete idiots year after year, and we are sick of answering the questions about RUSH sooooo.

this and USB's remark i think are prob the most likely mix of deciding favtors...just to be completely cynical

That very well may be the case, and honestly I don't care why. I'm just glad that they finally got off their horrible taste in music asses and nominated them so that the voters could decide. But, if they really were worried about not looking like complete idiots, that ship sailed long ago.

That very well may be the case, and honestly I don't care why. I'm just glad that they finally got off their horrible taste in music asses and nominated them so that the voters could decide. But, if they really were worried about not looking like complete idiots, that ship sailed long ago.

me too, and good point

Regardless, Kiss should have been nominated even prior to RUSH, but lets face it their music hasn't had the impact or influence that RUSH's has.

Kiss should have been nominated and inducted the same year as Rush, since they each had a debut album in 1974. I disagree however, and would say that Kiss has had more impact and influence - not necessarily musically, but in terms of stage shows, thinking of rock shows more of as a theatrical event than just a concert, as well as with marketing. They made an enormous impact and changed the industry forever in those regards.

You are correct on the impact of Stage Shows and marketing, They've even influenced RUSH. Hence, I felt they should have been inducted earlier.

• Like 1

Consider the major league baseball hall of fame - every year anyone eligible who is an obvious nominee gets nominated,

Pete Rose would like a word with you.......

unless you pull a black soxs

I've changed my opinion about the Hall since this afternoon.

Like many of you, I was thinking the nominating committee snubbed us all these years. Now I'm just thinking they're looney and very willy-nilly about their nom choices. Stil no Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Kiss, Yes, Brian Epstein (non-performer category), Carly Simon, etc. Meanwhile, they give noms over the past few years to Laura Nyro (?), Madonna, ABBA, rap and disco artists, etc.

They haven't been snubbing us the past twelve years. They're just schizophrenic with their choices: all over the place, and from all different sub-genres of popular music, It's almost a crap shoot who gets the noms each year. Like the outgoing president of the Hall said, getting in isn't a sprint; it can take awhile, and he knew Rush would get there eventually. Considering all this, we should be happy and honored we got in THIS YEAR, before more "deserving" artists, and didn't have to wait another twelve!

• Like 1

As RUSH hater, LA Times critic Randall Roberts, said.the voting is a mess because the fans chose RUSH, not "real" people like critics. He once again got in a dig by saying Lee's voice alone should have been enough to disqualify them. So true, Rush may have gotten in because of fans and not some group of 5 guys in a back room. But isn't that what all these awards are about-a way to let fans have a connection to the bands they love? For critics to dismiss that side of it and try to make this RRHOF nonsense serious(nothing against the Supremes but they are in the hall and never wrote a song), is an insult to fans.

As RUSH hater, LA Times critic Randall Roberts, said.the voting is a mess because the fans chose RUSH, not "real" people like critics. He once again got in a dig by saying Lee's voice alone should have been enough to disqualify them. So true, Rush may have gotten in because of fans and not some group of 5 guys in a back room. But isn't that what all these awards are about-a way to let fans have a connection to the bands they love? For critics to dismiss that side of it and try to make this RRHOF nonsense serious(nothing against the Supremes but they are in the hall and never wrote a song), is an insult to fans.

Good post. As Billy Corgan said: "At the end of the day, rock is a people's game, and the people have consistently and overwhelmingly voted for this band." True! The winners can't always be decided by "five guys in a back room"; the people should be allowed to speak. And they do, and have!

And as NPR pointed out yesterday, the whole nominating process is completely secretive and NON-transparent; they don't want the public to know how they make their decisions. One former member of the Nominating Committee blew the whistle on the committee and its decision-making practices: he said that one year the committee was upset that the first draft of potential nominees were all "small name acts" and no artist would draw people into buying tickets to their money-making induction dinner. In that case, money in their pockets was more important than musical merit in deciding who to nominate. ("We need a big name act!") Another year, Wenner inducted Grandmaster Flash instead of the Dave Clark Five, on the technicality that some Dave Clark Five votes came in after a "deadline." In truth, Wenner had said to the committee "we can't go another year without inducting a rap act." So he was predisposed to inducting Grandmaster Flash, is what it came down to.

Oh yeah, and about that comment that Geddy's voice alone should disqualify them: I bet that music critic never said the same thing about Bob Dylan, Neil Young, or Michael Stipe (R.E.M.), none of whom have good voices!

Edited by GeddyRulz

I think, in the end, the biggest problem with the Hall is the confusion arising from its title.

Title: "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame

What it really is: "Influential Rock/Pop Artists" Hall of (Usually) Fame

;)

Neil's mouth is why they didn't get in as soon as they should've. Fact.

Playin' it pretty fast and loose with the word "fact," there, buddy! ;)

:)

Happy holidays U guys....U too 1001..

Thanks, GR79. You too. :)

It's good to see you back. A new picture, no more Polaris. Is that looking west at Cygnus?

Good post. As Billy Corgan said: "At the end of the day, rock is a people's game, and the people have consistently and overwhelmingly voted for this band." True! The winners can't always be decided by "five guys in a back room"; the people should be allowed to speak. And they do, and have!

And as NPR pointed out yesterday, the whole nominating process is completely secretive and NON-transparent; they don't want the public to know how they make their decisions. One former member of the Nominating Committee blew the whistle on the committee and its decision-making practices: he said that one year the committee was upset that the first draft of potential nominees were all "small name acts" and no artist would draw people into buying tickets to their money-making induction dinner. In that case, money in their pockets was more important than musical merit in deciding who to nominate. ("We need a big name act!") Another year, Wenner inducted Grandmaster Flash instead of the Dave Clark Five, on the technicality that some Dave Clark Five votes came in after a "deadline." In truth, Wenner had said to the committee "we can't go another year without inducting a rap act." So he was predisposed to inducting Grandmaster Flash, is what it came down to.

Oh yeah, and about that comment that Geddy's voice alone should disqualify them: I bet that music critic never said the same thing about Bob Dylan, Neil Young, or Michael Stipe (R.E.M.), none of whom have good voices!

Please add Janis Joplin to that list in your last sentence. She sounded like a cat that was either being strangled or banged by someone.

It's good to see you back. A new picture, no more Polaris. Is that looking west at Cygnus?

Thanks Rushaholic :) Actually, East, at the constellation Gemini.

I think, in the end, the biggest problem with the Hall is the confusion arising from its title.

Title: "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame

What it really is: "Influential Rock/Pop Artists" Hall of (Usually) Fame

;)

I don't have nearly the problem with the "rock and roll" name as you and many others do. I accept that it's actually the "Popular Music Hall of Fame," but that "rock and roll" sounds better. Basically, if it's an artist that might be covered in Rolling Stone, they're fair game... that includes your Madonnas, Michael Jacksons, Abbas, and Public Enemies. There's definitely some crossover, anyway, between some Pop and some Rock acts.

It is what it is indeed. A band that I have been following since 1977 is suddenly in the limelight more than ever before. I never liked pop music, pop culture, or pop anything. Now Rush, by their very inclusion into the pop music hall of fame, have become un-cool in my book because now they crossed-over into the ranks of "popular."

I am happy that they are being recognized, but I believe they are being recognized for all the wrong reasons.

IMO - they have lost their coolness.

Time to increase my Marillion fanatacism.

Edited by drgrendel

Thanks Rushaholic :) Actually, East, at the constellation Gemini.

Ah, Gemini. Yes, that makes sense given your handle. CygnusGal, BTW, though Rushaholic is an appropriate title and description.

It is what it is indeed. A band that I have been following since 1977 is suddenly in the limelight more than ever before. I never liked pop music, pop culture, or pop anything. Now Rush, by their very inclusion into the pop music hall of fame, have become un-cool in my book because now they crossed-over into the ranks of "popular."

I am happy that they are being recognized, but I believe they are being recognized for all the wrong reasons.

IMO - they have lost their coolness.

Time to increase my Marillion fanatacism.

Really??? Has their music suddenly decreased in quality?

I care more about their music than their image. All that's happened is they continue to gain respect from all kinds of different angles, They still never sold out, so how can this be a bad thing? To me great music needs to be heard by as many people as possible, not kept as some kind of cool secret. All that will realistically result from this is more people potentially being exposed to great music... that and some richly deserved long withheld respect.

Can the person who commented on Geddy's voice sing? If so, why isn't he in a famous band showing off his melodious talent? If not, then shut up about someone else's talent.

In the end, who cares whether anyone doesn't like Rush - Rush doesn't. They laugh all the way to the bank.

Edited by Lorraine