Could RUSH pull off this song next tour? Would they want to?

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

http://youtu.be/27EClpoDhE0

I love this tune....one of the first RUSH songs I ever heard, off ATWAS.

It's Neil's first recorded RUSH song. This song screams power trio..... A true RUSH anthem.

If there is a next tour....maybe.... R-40, Permanent Waves in it's entirety, Farewell Tour or even a tour to support a new album, I wonder if they would consider this song.

Do you think Geddy could pull if off?

I would be okay with a step-down vocally, just to hear Anthem live...one more time would be cool.

I think possibly - but only if they took it a step or two down key-wise. Even then, Geddy would probably have to change the vocal melodies to accomodate his voice as it is now. That wouldn't bother me though as I think Anthem is far more memorable from an instrumental point of view than a vocal one. I'd also say the same about Bastille Day.

What if they applied some effect to Ged's vocals? The worst part of that song would be the, "wrouuuuught" part for Ged, right? I feel like they could have some sort of effect for that?

*shrugs* It's not one of my favorites, I can take it or leave it. It always makes for an interesting thought though, that Neil's personal philosophy has gone from where it was on Fly By Night, so Right-Wing, to where it was on Snakes and Arrows, Left-Wing.

But that's probably another topic for another forum.

No way he could pull that off today. The notes are so high in it that I don't think they could downtune it enough for Geddy to pull it off now and still have the song sound like Anthem. It would sound more off than Circumstances did on the S&A tour.

What happened to Geddy's voice that he can't hit those notes anymore?

Bear with me. I am just getting back into Rush and have a bit to go. One day soon, I will look back on the absolute stupidity and ignorance of my question but, in the meantime ... what happened to his voice?

Bear with me. I am just getting back into Rush and have a bit to go. One day soon, I will look back on the absolute stupidity and ignorance of my question but, in the meantime ... what happened to his voice?

Age. He's 60 it happens. Everyone's voice changes as they age.

Mick

There's no way Geddy could sing it as high as it was recorded... he was 21 when it was done. But, they could play it today and he could sing it a little differently, changing key and changing a few of the notes around to suit his range now. It would still be wicked to hear and see this song live. This was the first Rush I learned to play on the drums and one of the first songs I ever heard from them period.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Geddy could still hit most of those notes... but that would be tough on his voice throughout a tour. He still nails "Each of us, a cell of unawarness, imperfect and incomplete" et cetera on Freewill and that's friggin' way up there!

Maybe Lerxst could run over and squeeze his onions while he does the " they wrooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhht" part?

Mick

Apparently not for Sammy Hagar though. That guys pipes sound the same as they did in 74.

Mick

Being a smoker probably didn't help. Talk about the worst decision a person could ever possibly make.