Windows 8 - uhm, who "needs" it

Tom Sawyer

The metro desktop looks way too busy for my likings. I really don't like how they're pushing this tablet interface on all of their platforms. It's good on tablets and poorly suited on xbox live (66% of the squares are adds and I have trouble navigating through all of my downloaded junk). I can just imagine how cluttered it will be when I'm trying to sift through dozens of programs and hundreds of files. Besides, Windows 7 is already pretty efficient. I've been told that I can revert it to the W7 desktop, but then what's the point of upgrading?

I'd like to give it a going over just to stay up on the latest thing especially on something like a tablet. Big box PC's are going the way of what they've been called for years anyway, "boat anchors". The operating systems that run on them aren't going to support newer programs either, companies will just stop writing software compatable with older operating systems.

We will be forced into using it, just like the other iterations of the lacking OS.

We will be forced into using it, just like the other iterations of the lacking OS.

I don't remember being forced into Vista. Come to think of it, my old PC that runs Windows XP runs everything just fine provided it isn't a video game (I currently have office 2010 on it).

I got to say that because of an app in the store, I'm finally able to get book downloads of the pdf kind which weren't allowed on my previous XP. Just got that new Pete Townshend and Neil Young one. Looking forward to the Rod Stewart and John Taylor (Duran Duran) memoirs once they become torrents.

However, I've been struggling all day to get Cisco NAC Agent on here just for internet use at college. Hopefully, the new Java I installed, which I could have sworn was installed Sunday, helps. Otherwise, I've got a bone to pick with my college.

Edited by invisible airwave

We are going to see the first true tablet pc very soon because of this OS

iPad has the Apple OS, or a variation of it. Android has the Google OS. MS is late to the party.

I don't remember being forced into Vista. Come to think of it, my old PC that runs Windows XP runs everything just fine provided it isn't a video game (I currently have office 2010 on it).

Good luck buying a new PC with XP or Vista.

Edited by Gompers

My husband has been a tester for years and actually gave W8 a second try and warmed up to it. It's customizable and, like other versions of Windows, you can run it in a classic mode. I'm looking forward to having it on my laptop...what sucks is I just got this laptop a few weeks ago and am finally to the point where it's familiar to me again.

The metro desktop looks way too busy for my likings. I really don't like how they're pushing this tablet interface on all of their platforms. It's good on tablets and poorly suited on xbox live (66% of the squares are adds and I have trouble navigating through all of my downloaded junk). I can just imagine how cluttered it will be when I'm trying to sift through dozens of programs and hundreds of files. Besides, Windows 7 is already pretty efficient. I've been told that I can revert it to the W7 desktop, but then what's the point of upgrading?

If you are running 7, I am not sure their is a compelling reason to upgrade other than it is a cheap path. Their are some interesting features in win 8

Civilization V put out a large new patch today, included in the patch...

WIN8 AND ULTRABOOK

- Many performance optimizations specifically targeted to Ultrabooks with Intel Core processors with HD Graphics.

- New launcher button for Windows 8 Intel touch-enabled version.

- Touch/Gesture Support:

o New “gesture” menu button on main menu, and when you bring up the main menu in-game.

o New sliders to control zoom and momentum speed in Options menu.

o Single finger tap for all UI buttons.

o Single finger drag for scroll bars or two fingers together swiping to scroll menus by gesture.

o Single-finger touch and drag to see tool-tips (terrain, UI, etc.).

o Pinch and expand finger for camera zoom.

o Two fingers dragging together moves map.

o Three finger tap is “escape” (from other menus, or to bring up Main Menu).

o Unit Control:

+ Single-finger tap to select unit, and then drag to issue a movement order, or...

+ Double-tap to enter “movement mode”.

+ Once in movement mode, single-tap on destination to issue an order, or touch and drag to preview movement path.

Civilization V put out a large new patch today, included in the patch...

WIN8 AND ULTRABOOK

- Many performance optimizations specifically targeted to Ultrabooks with Intel Core processors with HD Graphics.

- New launcher button for Windows 8 Intel touch-enabled version.

- Touch/Gesture Support:

o New “gesture” menu button on main menu, and when you bring up the main menu in-game.

o New sliders to control zoom and momentum speed in Options menu.

o Single finger tap for all UI buttons.

o Single finger drag for scroll bars or two fingers together swiping to scroll menus by gesture.

o Single-finger touch and drag to see tool-tips (terrain, UI, etc.).

o Pinch and expand finger for camera zoom.

o Two fingers dragging together moves map.

o Three finger tap is “escape” (from other menus, or to bring up Main Menu).

o Unit Control:

+ Single-finger tap to select unit, and then drag to issue a movement order, or...

+ Double-tap to enter “movement mode”.

+ Once in movement mode, single-tap on destination to issue an order, or touch and drag to preview movement path.

Civ is one of the best games ever.

Soooo I recently downloaded Windows 8. I have a fantastic laptop, but it's not touchscreen. (Come on, that's a terrible idea for a college student. You know how often I snack while on my computer? There'd be grease stains off the wall on my monitor.)

It's really not all that different from 7, Vista, etc. The biggest change is the start screen. But you know what? I really like it. All my programs I use the most are right there in nifty little icons and just one click away. It's like the next step in desktop icons. And all you have to do is hit that Window button to get there.

What I've found is that Windows 8 is a lot easier and more fun to use if you already know your keyboard shortcuts (and I know most of them). If not YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME. Okay not really but you get what I mean.

It's clearly designed for a tablet but hey, with a touchpad-scroll add-on I'm in good shape. I like it. And the startup time is lightning-fast! Quicker than any program I've had in the past! So hats off to Windows for that, if nothing else. It took a little getting used to but I find it fabulous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QvNODznAE20

This should be the future of PC input. Hell, this should be the PAST of PC input - a wireless mouse/keyboard remote. $65.

Combine with a big screen TV. Browse internet, watch movies, play games, all without ever leaving the sofa, and all on the most comfortable, intuitive design ever.

There's also a version with gamepad controls for the same price.

I hate tablets and I hate touchscreens - terrible design philosophy. Your hands obstruct the screen, you have no precision, and typing will NEVER happen comfortably. The industry has no freaking clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4m_8v0akcw

This is what handheld PC's should look like. It fits in both hands, you don't waste one hand supporting the back and using the other hand to navigate, you have the freedom of both hands. It uses gamepad controls, which, when you think about it, makes perfect sense for a handheld PC. You can navigate the mouse with those thumbsticks. It's also got a touchscreen stylus, just for the option. And it's got a PHYSICAL KEYBOARD. With fat, responsive keys. Not touchscreen shit. It's got fully functional USB ports and SD slot.

1GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, runs a full Linux OS, plays movies, does everything a typical PC can, and has the power to emulate up to Playstation 1. Unfortunately it's about $600, which kinda ruins an otherwise perfect design.

Edited by Steel Rat

Believe it or not. I'm making this post with Windows 8 and Google Chrome.

Saw that Staples was selling the full Windows 8 Professional for like $60 so I decided to take the plunge and really try it out. At first I regretted it. After a while of toying around with the new features and apps, I've actually warmed up to it a bit. I'm definitely considering getting a Surface tablet with Windows 8 Pro in the future, as I think it would work VERY well on it. It doesn't live up to Windows 7 for a PC, but it's not terribly hard to get used to. I'm not even concerned with trying to get the Start Menu back (the Start Screen is the same thing, but with bigger buttons)... It's responding fairly well so far and running very fast. I'm sure after the first service pack it will have the initial bugginess worked out.

So yeah...gave it a shot, and I'm not disappointed. I certainly wasn't getting the full experience by toying with a display model laptop at Staples. And at that price, it was hard to say "FU MIRCOSOFT"

They added an adventure mode to minesweeper now. I must admit it looks pretty neat.

Yeah I looked at the Minesweeper they had in the Windows store. Can't say I'm too thrilled with the X-Box'd up version of it. I may be pulling the game .exe's from Windows 7 and installing them on my 8 machine :LOL: