Windows 8 - uhm, who "needs" it

Tom Sawyer

Believe it or not. I'm making this post with Windows 8 and Google Chrome.

Saw that Staples was selling the full Windows 8 Professional for like $60 so I decided to take the plunge and really try it out. At first I regretted it. After a while of toying around with the new features and apps, I've actually warmed up to it a bit. I'm definitely considering getting a Surface tablet with Windows 8 Pro in the future, as I think it would work VERY well on it. It doesn't live up to Windows 7 for a PC, but it's not terribly hard to get used to. I'm not even concerned with trying to get the Start Menu back (the Start Screen is the same thing, but with bigger buttons)... It's responding fairly well so far and running very fast. I'm sure after the first service pack it will have the initial bugginess worked out.

So yeah...gave it a shot, and I'm not disappointed. I certainly wasn't getting the full experience by toying with a display model laptop at Staples. And at that price, it was hard to say "FU MIRCOSOFT"

It seems this is pretty much the consensus. I am looking at a new SSD pretty soon, WIN 8 may com with it.

I'm a long time pc guy, and wasn't sure about 8 at first, but have since warmed up to it as well. It's very customizable, I love that things can be dynamic like on a android phone or tablet, instead of static icons, you get live up to date weather, email tiles, etc.. plus you have the classic desktop as well the "metro" ui is just a big start button that you can add your favorite programs to....

I'm a long time pc guy, and wasn't sure about 8 at first, but have since warmed up to it as well. It's very customizable, I love that things can be dynamic like on a android phone or tablet, instead of static icons, you get live up to date weather, email tiles, etc.. plus you have the classic desktop as well the "metro" ui is just a big start button that you can add your favorite programs to....

The part about Windows 8 that scared me at first was the thought that the Metro interface was the ONLY interface and that it was too much of a change and there would be horrifying compatibility issues. Totally not the case. I was able to install all of my regular software. One program did come up and say "hey dude the might be some compatibility issues here, wanna try running it with these settings we recommend?" So I say "sure, go for it". Works flawlessly, then even asks "so did it work out?" To which I responded "Why yes! Yes it did!"

I'm very happy with the new Windows.

My Macbook died after 6 years of use, and being unable to afford another one, I replaced it with a Lenovo laptop today. It came with Windows 8, and was pretty cool at first. However, the more I try to do with it, the more frustrating (by now, infuriating) it is. The default apps riddled with ads, the inaccessibility of programs, the shitty way windows thinks it knows what you want to do more than you do, hot corners with no visual aid. Plus, being force-fed Bing. It's infuriating, and I'm damn close to taking it back (haven't taken the stickers or anything off), then just dealing with the comatose macbook- which is still easier than this thing- for a few months while I save for another mac. f**k this thing.

My Macbook died after 6 years of use, and being unable to afford another one, I replaced it with a Lenovo laptop today. It came with Windows 8, and was pretty cool at first. However, the more I try to do with it, the more frustrating (by now, infuriating) it is. The default apps riddled with ads, the inaccessibility of programs, the shitty way windows thinks it knows what you want to do more than you do, hot corners with no visual aid. Plus, being force-fed Bing. It's infuriating, and I'm damn close to taking it back (haven't taken the stickers or anything off), then just dealing with the comatose macbook- which is still easier than this thing- for a few months while I save for another mac. f**k this thing.

Which apps are riddled with ads? Are you talking about preinstalled bloatware?

I'm a computer guy and stayed away from Windows ME and Windows Vista, terrible, I've always loved XP and 7, and after some customization, I'm liking Windows 8 as well :) With some configuration and getting the start screen setup the way i want, it's actually quite usable, more dynamic and a better experience, besides it not being a tablet, (few things that irk me with the side scroll) , otherwise, I like it. .

pre-installed bloatware is not windows 8, that is from your seller

remove that crap

you do not have to use bing

I just bought a new Acer tablet with Windows 8. The new OS is definitely much better on a touch device. I still like it on my notebook, too. That just takes more getting used to. It's just unfortunate that I had to spend 4 days and a bunch of extra money to get exactly what I want out of this tablet....a clean Windows install. The crapware that was preinstalled on this thing was HORRENDOUS. Two entire clusters of apps labeled "Acer Apps". Nothing but a bunch of trial crap and stupid games, all of which are running in the background all the time. My tablet has 4GB of RAM and almost 60% of it was being eaten up at all times with no programs running (that I opened myself at least). Not only that but out of the 64GB SSD, I only had about 30GB of free space....oh it also came with McAfee Internet Security! Everybody's fave! Even after uninstalling that the best that I could it still caused my AV of choice to blow up and corrupt it's installation. I also went to install Office 2010 after getting rid of the trial Office package they put on here for me. That install was also f*cked up and it wouldn't even accept my license key because of the trialware still having it's "ghost" left behind. Contacting Acer was pointless, as all they could tell me was to use their recovery discs and do a complete factory reset. Thanks, but that just put all the GARBAGE back. You'd think after spending about $800 on a product, they'd give you the option of a totally clean, functioning PC. Nope. I ended up buying a retail license of Windows 8 to perform my clean install. However, after doing all that, I love this thing! It's the Windows version of iPad I've always wanted! :D After this, I am totally done buying from PC manufacturers. I'll be building my next PC myself. TLDR; PC manufacturers SUCK, crapware SUCKS, Win8 is pretty neat.

http://bgr.com/2012/11/27/windows-8-criticism-bloatware/

FTA:

To make matters worse, the ThinkPad Twist isn’t even the worst Windows 8 PC that InformationWeek surveyed. No, that particular honor goes to the Acer Aspire 7600U, which comes preloaded with (take a deep breath!): Wild Tangent, clear.fi Media, clear.fi Photo, Cyberlink MediaEspresso, AIR Gesture, McAfee Internet Security Suite, Hotkey Utility, MyWinLocker Suite, Nero 12 Essentials, an Amazon weblink, a Lovefilm web link, MyET, Spotify, Evernote, Skype, Kindle, News Xpresso, Txtr, Hulu, IVI.RU, Netflix, 7Digital, TuneIn, eBay, Rakuten Gateway, Adera, Cut The Rope, Mahjong, Minesweeper, Pinball FX2, Shark Dash, Solitaire, Tap Tiles, Treasures of Montezuma III, Wild Tangent, Wordament, ChaCha, Crystal Eye, Encyclopaedia Britannica, iCookbook, Merriam Webster, WeatherBug, StumbleUpon, Travel and Ctrip.