Another subtle dig at Rush by Rolling Stone?

mmclarney

Also - love their Rush mini-bio:

With an unmistakable sound melding Geddy Lee's freakishly high-pitched vocals, Alex Lifeson's high-cholesterol guitar heroics and Neil Peart's ultra-complex drumming, this Canadian power trio are one of the most beloved progressive rock bands ever. In Rush songs, instruments wrap themselves around intricate, often epic-length musical structures that carry Peart's often mythological and philosophical lyrics. Once dismissed by critics out of hand, the band have since become respected rock elder statesman.

QUOTE (mmclarney @ Oct 5 2012, 02:21 PM)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures...minees-20121004

I love how Rush's nominee pic on the RS site doesn't even show all 3 members. Ged and Alex are there but the left side of the photo showing Neil has been cut off.

Kinda like RS's way of saying, "Yeah, we know they got nominated...but we don't have to like it."

angry.gif

A bit oversensitive? Really, big deal. So you only see Ged and Alex on the thumbnail. At least they didn't show the pic of Ged with the McKenzie Bros.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 5 2012, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (mmclarney @ Oct 5 2012, 02:21 PM)

I love how Rush's nominee pic on the RS site doesn't even show all 3 members.  Ged and Alex are there but the left side of the photo showing Neil has been cut off.

Kinda like RS's way of saying, "Yeah, we know they got nominated...but we don't have to like it."

angry.gif

A bit oversensitive? Really, big deal. So you only see Ged and Alex on the thumbnail. At least they didn't show the pic of Ged with the McKenzie Bros.

Yeah, I know...it was probably a total fluke. But still. Given the history between RS and Rush, kinda makes you wonder. How many other band's thumbnails were cut off? None that I can see.

Bottom line, yeah you're right, no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just kind of funny really.

QUOTE (mmclarney @ Oct 5 2012, 01:21 PM)

I love how Rush's nominee pic on the RS site doesn't even show all 3 members.  Ged and Alex are there but the left side of the photo showing Neil has been cut off.

angry.gif

And their picture announcing the nominees yesterday morning was also of just Alex and Geddy... but worse, Geddy was making a pouty-lipped face and looked ridiculous. THAT'S the picture they used for the headline?? The picture that showed up when I "liked" the article on Facebook?? No fair!

Edited by GeddyRulz

even the video they put out had a bunchof clips but nothing newer than the 80's

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Oct 6 2012, 07:16 AM)
"freakishly high pitched vocals"

Really.  Still on that huh.  Geddy hasn't sung like that in what, over 30 years?  Oh well, RS is moving towards the light, so maybe there's hope that they'll come to realize Geddy doesn't sound like his 20 year old self anymore.
Of course, it's a dig by RS. Rush still isn't cool, they're just old so now they're "statesmen". Hmm...how rock and roll.

The measure of a life = "Geddy Lee's freakishly high-pitched vocals, Alex Lifeson's high-cholesterol guitar heroics and Neil Peart's ultra-complex drumming".

b_sigh.gif

I bet they wrote that blurb about them after listening to Superconductor.

I hope they don't get in. NWA and Public Enemy? Maybe if they change it to the music hall of fame. Donna Summer? I guess I just don't see this as an honor...

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Oct 5 2012, 02:54 PM)
If they'd used the picture of Ged, Alex and John all posing in their underwear, then I'd believe it.

Oh, yes, that picture... that would have been... interesting! Not that I would have complained, mind! wink.gif

Hahaha! Why has no one added that "listed them last in the recap of nominated artists" as further indication of disrespect?

I am half-eagerly anticipating and half-dreading the uproar from Rush fans when Joan Jett gets in and Rush doesn't. wink.gif

Edited by GeddysMullet

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Oct 6 2012, 06:16 AM)
"freakishly high pitched vocals"

Really. Still on that huh. Geddy hasn't sung like that in what, over 30 years?

Why would that mean anything to them? They have their antiquated definition of Rush, and it's written in stone. Geddy's shrill voice, pretentious lyrics, and over-the-top prog melodies and rhythms.....that's all they know when they say the name Rush.....