Reggae Version of Working Man

tangy

When i read the negative complaints about the reggae version of working man, it kind makes me laugh.

the boys are clearly having fun with a song that should be considered the roots of the set list instead of the thorn..... pokey.gif

then i wonder if the people who dislike it, listen to any reggae at all?

perhaps if you knew more about reggae you would pick up the use of it throughout permanent waves to grace under pressure.

off the top of my head the following songs have reggae elements to them.

the spirit of radio, vital signs, the enemy within.

hell it could even be easily argued that rushs most reggae like song was its most popular ever. cool10.gif I am talking about New World Man which is rushs highest charting song and if i recall correctly, the only time they have ever broke into the top 40.

Edited by tangy

something else to consider is that this not some new addition. it seems to me to have started as a rarity and has grown form here.

heres reggae working man from 1980-

by 1981, they had fleshed it out.

i first heard it on a bootleg called Rush N Roulette in the early 80's.

so if they have been doing it since the 80's live with it... cool10.gif then go listen to some reggae.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 15 2012, 11:40 AM)
I love the reggae sensibilities to some Rush songs, but it doesn't work well with Working Man. It should be a full-blown ROCKIN' moment from the start of the song to the end. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Just like on Rush In Rio. 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (default236 @ Sep 15 2012, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 15 2012, 11:40 AM)
I love the reggae sensibilities to some Rush songs, but it doesn't work well with Working Man. It should be a full-blown ROCKIN' moment from the start of the song to the end.  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Just like on Rush In Rio. 1022.gif 1022.gif

Exactly, or better yet just remove it all together and replace it with something worth our time like Xanadu.

Oh and as for New World Man being their most reggae influenced song, you must be smoking some Jamaican Weed.. cool10.gif How in the hell does (a bridge) constitute their most reggae influenced song? The Enemy Within, or even Vital Signs for that matter probably have longer stretches of Reggae influences than New World Man.

You know its better to have people think you're ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

sarcasm.gif

Now boys...

I don't like reggae, period. And, WM is such a rockin' classic, screwing it up with a reggae beat is just wrong.

I believe the point of doing it is to be funny, etc. But, I think they just ruin the song.